Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Was in West Clare for the week-end and heard a rumor that Davy was "in talks" with Dublin with a view to managing hurlers. Any truth in rumor? :confused:

That's funny. ..i heard that about a week and half ago. .....although i was told it was more or less a done deal. A SMB man it was that told me too. I thought it must be a load of rubbish tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

given the amount of rumors going around i assume he has been approached by dublin but giving the nature of the man i cant see him upping sticks and walking away from clare , he was always defiant about sticking it out to the end of his term with clare so who knows , but giving the amount of talk about it i assume some sort of approach has been made

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't see how he will stay on, a lot of the senior panel would be in their final years of college now so next year will be their last opportunity at a J1. I can't see Davy going to Dublin myself, he's a good gig in LIT

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't see how he will stay on, a lot of the senior panel would be in their final years of college now so next year will be their last opportunity at a J1. I can't see Davy going to Dublin myself, he's a good gig in LIT

he is also involved with some production company in dublin that do work for rte , besides the motorway from the m50 to sixmilebridge is a short enough drive nowadays , i doubt he will jump ship but its not his nature to step down either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Another concern would be whether he'd be insured to go for another team, might seem very callous but the guy has serious heart conditions and management of teams are covered as part of most insurance policies, his own health insurance might have a condition that he can't put himself into overly stressful situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

In fairness though should he not announce his decision sooner rather than later in order to give any potential new manager a chance to get going with dietary plans, training plans etc for the new season? I realise he has one year left but surely even he must know there are serious and valid questions over his tenure of this panel in the last 2 years. We have not progressed since 2013 and some lads are approaching their prime and should at a minimum be capable of getting to croker every year. ..at the end of the day we are now looking at tipp, the cats and Waterford in the semi's. ....teams that at underage our boys were used to getting the better of....

I wouldn't be surprised if an awful lot of the players aren't available next season, alot of these players have been involved every summer for the last 6 years (minor All Ireland in 2010), it's a massive ask for players to give up every summer especially if they can't see a reason behind it, when you're winning All Ireland's it easy to stay around, when you're stuck on a bench it's not so easy.

RNf8X0.png

the club football championship starts this weekend after an 8 week break , expect to see the townies bounce back after a heavy defeat to KIB last time out while cooraclare have the chance to gain revenge on miltown in a repeat of last years final the hurling resumes next weekend

fixtures as follows
    losers round
    O’Curry’s v Eire Og @ Cooraclare, Saturday2pm
    verdict Eire Og
    Ennistymon v Kilrush @ Quilty,Saturday 5pm
    verdict Ennistymon
    Doora/Barefield v Wolfe Tones@ Cratloe, Sunday 1pm
    verdict Doora/Barefield
    Corofin v Clondegad @ Miltown sunday 6:30pm
    verdict Clondegad

Winners round
    Lissycasey v Cratloe @ Gurteen, Saturday2pm
    verdict Cratloe
    Miltown v Cooraclare @ Quilty,Saturday 3.30pm
    verdict Cooraclare
    Doonbeg v Kilkee @ Kilrush,Sunday 1pm
    verdict Doonbeg
    St Breckan’s v KIB @ Ennistymon,Sunday 6.30pm
    vedict KIB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare used 23 players in 6 Championship games.Appearances+Subs for 2016 Championship Games

Brennan, Gary 6
    Cleary, Eoin 6
    Collins, Sean 6
    Harnett, Kevin 6
    Hayes, Joe 6
    Kelly, Gordon 6
    Malone, Jamie 6
    McMahon, Martin 6
    O'Connor, Cathal 6
    O'Dea, Cian 6
    Tubridy, David 6
    Lillis, Pearse 5+1
    Ryan, Dean 5+1
    Hickey, Shane 4+2
    Sexton, Keelan 4+2
    Collins, Podge 3+3
    Burke, Pat 2+4
    McGrath, Shane 1+5
    Malone, Seanie 0+6
    Coughlan, Enda 0+5
    Burke, Damien 0+1
    McMahon, Declan 0+1
    Nagle, Darren 0+1

Clare scored 4-87 and conceded 7-84 in 6 Championship games. Scorers 2016 Championship Games

Tubridy, David 2-20
    Cleary, Eoin 0-24
    Malone, Jamie 1-7
    Brennan, Gary 1-5
    O'Connor, Cathal 0-7
    Sexton, Keelan 0-6
    Lillis, Pearse 0-5
    McGrath, Shane 0-4
    Collins, Podge 0-3
    Malone, Seanie 0-2
    Burke, Pat 0-1
    Collins, Sean 0-1
    Hickey, Shane 0-1
    Ryan, Dean 0-1

Clare used 28 players in 8 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2016 League Games

Brennan, Gary 8
    Cleary, Eoin 8
    Collins, Sean 8
    Harnett, Kevin 8
    Hayes, Joe 8
    Lillis, Pearse 8
    Malone, Jamie 8
    McMahon, Martin 8
    O'Dea, Cian 8
    Tubridy, David 8
    Coughlan, Enda 5+3
    McGrath, Shane 5+3
    Burle, Pat 4+4
    Sexton, Keelan 4+4
    Haugh, Sean 0+8
    O'Connor, Cathal 7
    Malone, Seanie 6+1
    Kelly, Gordon 6
    Ryan, Dean 2+4
    Kelly, Graham 0+6
    Collins, Podge 0+3
    O'Dea, Jack 0+2
    O'Leary, Martin 1
    Malone, Manus 0+1
    McMahon, Declan 0+1
    Nagle, Darren 0+1
    O'Donoghue, Sean 0+1
    O'Neill, Alan 0+1

Clare scored 9-112 and conceded 4-100 in 8 League games. Scorers 2016 League Games

Tubridy, David 2-39
    Cleary, Eoin 1-29
    Malone, Jamie 2-14
    Brennan, Gary 2-3
    Lillis, Pearse 0-5
    McGrath, Shane 0-5
    Collins, Sean 0-4
    Burke, Pat 1-1
    Couglan, Enda 0-3
    O'Connor, Cathal 0-3
    Sexton, Keelan 0-3
    Ryan, Dean 1-0
    Collins, Podge 0-1
    Haugh, Sean 0-1
    Kelly, Gordon 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

it boils down to this.
    There is no case at all for the manager continuing.
    five years in charge with two of those improving and the three since complete and total collapse.
    the kinnerk cusack thing was the last throw of the dice
    we lost by 7 and 6 points in the two most important games of the season and both of those could have easily been much worse.

We will see now whether all the talk about how much he cares about the county and the players is real or just waffle.
    if he is genuine he won`t need to be pushed. If he stays he will force the players to act.

• Advertisement

it boils down to this.
    There is no case at all for the manager continuing.
    five years in charge with two of those improving and the three since complete and total collapse.
    the kinnerk cusack thing was the last throw of the dice
    we lost by 7 and 6 points in the two most important games of the season and both of those could have easily been much worse.

We will see now whether all the talk about how much he cares about the county and the players is real or just waffle.
    if he is genuine he won`t need to be pushed. If he stays he will force the players to act.

the first level of doubt i have seen from him came in an interview last week where he said he didnt know what he was going to do next , in the past no matter how bad the situation he would have been defiant claiming that he was going to see out his tenure no matter what

this time around he had a different approach where he said he was taking time out to have a think and play a bit of golf , he usually opens up on the course be it woodstock lahinch or doonbeg and it seems to be from lads on the golf scene that seem to think that he is interested in dublin but i doubt he will leave clare for them

limerick have started the look out for there manager which could have interesting consequences on us if he dose decide to leave , he wont be pushed out , the players wont do that , the county board wont either and will most likely have all loose ends tied up for club revolt if there was to be one. the only way he will go is most likely on health grounds even his time has run its course he wont step down i dont think its his nature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

To me that looks like we didn't blood enough players in the league, only had a core of 20 players that could be used in the championship. It's going to be even tougher to blood players in next year's league as the emphasis will be to try and stay in div 2 so it'll be championship intensity from the start. I'd love it if Conor Cleary joined his brother for the footballers, he'd be big addition to the squad.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Clare used 23 players in 6 Championship games.Appearances+Subs for 2016 Championship Games

Brennan, Gary 6
    Cleary, Eoin 6
    Collins, Sean 6
    Harnett, Kevin 6
    Hayes, Joe 6
    Kelly, Gordon 6
    Malone, Jamie 6
    McMahon, Martin 6
    O'Connor, Cathal 6
    O'Dea, Cian 6
    Tubridy, David 6
    Lillis, Pearse 5+1
    Ryan, Dean 5+1
    Hickey, Shane 4+2
    Sexton, Keelan 4+2
    Collins, Podge 3+3
    Burke, Pat 2+4
    McGrath, Shane 1+5
    Malone, Seanie 0+6
    Coughlan, Enda 0+5
    Burke, Damien 0+1
    McMahon, Declan 0+1
    Nagle, Darren 0+1

Clare scored 4-87 and conceded 7-84 in 6 Championship games. Scorers 2016 Championship Games

Tubridy, David 2-20
    Cleary, Eoin 0-24
    Malone, Jamie 1-7
    Brennan, Gary 1-5
    O'Connor, Cathal 0-7
    Sexton, Keelan 0-6
    Lillis, Pearse 0-5
    McGrath, Shane 0-4
    Collins, Podge 0-3
    Malone, Seanie 0-2
    Burke, Pat 0-1
    Collins, Sean 0-1
    Hickey, Shane 0-1
    Ryan, Dean 0-1

Clare used 28 players in 8 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2016 League Games

Brennan, Gary 8
    Cleary, Eoin 8
    Collins, Sean 8
    Harnett, Kevin 8
    Hayes, Joe 8
    Lillis, Pearse 8
    Malone, Jamie 8
    McMahon, Martin 8
    O'Dea, Cian 8
    Tubridy, David 8
    Coughlan, Enda 5+3
    McGrath, Shane 5+3
    Burle, Pat 4+4
    Sexton, Keelan 4+4
    Haugh, Sean 0+8
    O'Connor, Cathal 7
    Malone, Seanie 6+1
    Kelly, Gordon 6
    Ryan, Dean 2+4
    Kelly, Graham 0+6
    Collins, Podge 0+3
    O'Dea, Jack 0+2
    O'Leary, Martin 1
    Malone, Manus 0+1
    McMahon, Declan 0+1
    Nagle, Darren 0+1
    O'Donoghue, Sean 0+1
    O'Neill, Alan 0+1

Clare scored 9-112 and conceded 4-100 in 8 League games. Scorers 2016 League Games

Tubridy, David 2-39
    Cleary, Eoin 1-29
    Malone, Jamie 2-14
    Brennan, Gary 2-3
    Lillis, Pearse 0-5
    McGrath, Shane 0-5
    Collins, Sean 0-4
    Burke, Pat 1-1
    Couglan, Enda 0-3
    O'Connor, Cathal 0-3
    Sexton, Keelan 0-3
    Ryan, Dean 1-0
    Collins, Podge 0-1
    Haugh, Sean 0-1
    Kelly, Gordon 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 7 damon pope

Anyone know if Kilmurry Ibrickane have any injuries ? Im thinking on throwing them into my accumulator

damon pope wrote: »
    Anyone know if Kilmurry Ibrickane have any injuries ? Im thinking on throwing them into my accumulator

dont think so , think a few lads have returned home from america to boost up the squad but wouldnt be starters , KIB look to be the strongest team this year so far ,st breckans will be good in the next couple of years they have some excellent young lads of the last few minor teams but probably a year or two too early for them , they could still find themselves in a semi final again like last year but i doubt they will win sunday

ennistymon have been heavily backed in the last few days it would seem , they opened up at 13/8 they are now odds on , the vibes coming out of the kilrush camp are not good it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

damon pope wrote: »

For the championship or this weekend? They should beat Breckans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 damon pope

For the championship or this weekend? They should beat Breckans.

Just this weekend. Id be surprised if they lost to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if an awful lot of the players aren't available next season, alot of these players have been involved every summer for the last 6 years (minor All Ireland in 2010), it's a massive ask for players to give up every summer especially if they can't see a reason behind it, when you're winning All Ireland's it easy to stay around, when you're stuck on a bench it's not so easy.

It is as you say a massive ask for these lads,
    Even more so if the prospects for next year's Championship are little different to this year's, or any of the last three years for that matter.
    You wouldn't blame them for taking off, one thing that would entice them to stay and play for Clare is a change of manager.

If you're a sub on the panel after watching what happened with the lads last year and the fact that people aren't being brought on it would be a massive ask to stick around

first two games of the weekend go to extra time , cratloe and lissycasey are going toe to toe at 0-9 points apice while the townies have come back from 10 points down at half time to draw level with O'curry's

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/764467211197095936

https://twitter.com/CratloeGAAClub/status/764468541328330753

https://twitter.com/CratloeGAAClub/status/764468656365600768

eire og into the relagation play/offs after a shock extra time defeat to o'currys , the west clare side lead by 1-09 to 0-2 at half time , big fall from grace for a side that were county finalists two years ago

https://twitter.com/EireOgInisGAA/status/764474623962537984

• Advertisement

cratloe see off lissycasey in extra time , first team through to the last 8 lissycasy into the play/offs after a brave effort in defeat

https://twitter.com/ryancorry8/status/764477382766039040

incredible performance by the county champions defeating last years runners up cooraclare 5-15 to 1-11 . darragh mcdonagh and the cleary brothers caused havock miltown through to the 1/4 finals and serious contenders

funnyname wrote: »
    I'd love it if Conor Cleary joined his brother for the footballers, he'd be big addition to the squad.

on todays performance against cooraclare he would be a huge addition he had a serious game

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Lissycasey had a midfielder sent off in extra time for a 2nd yellow card (got first yellow in normal time).
    Cratloe had just scored a goal and the sending off ended Lissycasey's hopes of victory.
    It was a good win for Cratloe and it should stand to them in the next round.
    Lissycasey also showed enough to say that they will be hard to beat and could be dark horses to get to the business end of the championship.

ennistymon cruise into round 3 after a comfortable win over kilrush , result flattering on the lossers , ennistymon missed a penalty and took the foot of the gas for the last ten minutes making multiple changes , another dark horse in the championship race, kilrush join Eire Og in the relegation playoff and if things dont change fast they will be in big trouble

https://twitter.com/inisdiomainpeil/status/764515670843424768

roashter wrote: »
    Lissycasey had a midfielder sent off in extra time for a 2nd yellow card (got first yellow in normal time).
    Cratloe had just scored a goal and the sending off ended Lissycasey's hopes of victory.
    Lissycasey also showed enough to say that they will be hard to beat and could be dark horses to get to the business end of the championship.

good young side lissycasey , won the o'gorman cup early in the summer would be a dangerous side for anyone to meet and they look much better this year under new management (although still a little defensive), round 3 will be tough in what is turning out to be a very open championship

Isn't extra time a new game re substitutions going back to the beginning is it not the same for cards? I thought if someone was sent off for two yellows during normal period they could play again in extra time?

funnyname wrote: »
    Isn't extra time a new game re substitutions going back to the beginning is it not the same for cards? I thought if someone was sent off for two yellows during normal period they could play again in extra time?

Technically if you are sent off for 2 yellows you are suspended for 24 hours or something like that I think. Cards follow through, I think (not sure) that a black card can't be brought back on either.

I should really go back reffing cause I don't know the rules, I'll be up there with the rest of them now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

I had a look at the rule book today and Rule 2.6 (f) states:-

"(f) A Caution (Yellow Card) issued in Normal Time shall not carry over into Extra Time"

Lissycasey may well appeal the result as the sending off was a big impact, and in normal time they were leading for most of the game. On the flip side I think a replay would put a lot more pressure on them as while they were unlucky in normal time, Cratloe missed some very straight forward frees and had some decent goal chances while Lissycasey never really threatened the goal. If Lissycasey get the replay and lose, then they would have a short turnaround for next game and momentum will be lost as they will be coming from 2 defeats.

• Advertisement

A rematch would add chaos to the fixtures (with Cratloe being dual) list unless they play mid-week
    I had a look at the rule book today and Rule 2.6 (f) states:-

"(f) A Caution (Yellow Card) issued in Normal Time shall not carry over into Extra Time"

Lissycasey may well appeal the result as the sending off was a big impact, and in normal time they were leading for most of the game. On the flip side I think a replay would put a lot more pressure on them as while they were unlucky in normal time, Cratloe missed some very straight forward frees and had some decent goal chances while Lissycasey never really threatened the goal. If Lissycasey get the replay and lose, then they would have a short turnaround for next game and momentum will be lost as they will be coming from 2 defeats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement