Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

I would agree 16 clubs has become too many. Realistically twelve would be ideal but its hard to get a suitable format with 12. Also the current format isn't suitable to relegating four teams. For example if Cratloe drew Clondegad and Kilmurry in their first two games and lost both by a point they would be relegated whereas if for example Corofin drew Kilkee in the first round one of these would be safe, which would be totally unfair on a team that has won two of the last 3 championships and obviously more competitive than a team that will stay up.

12 Senior Team are : KIB, Cratloe, Miltown, Doonbeg, Eire Og (if they get their act together) Ennistymon Lissycasey Clondegad St Breckans Cooraclare and two from Kilrush Doora/Barefield and Wolfe Tones.

Kilrush and Doora/Barefield are in the relegation final this year.

I think we may have to look at relegating 2 senior clubs for the next few years. Slow process but not a drastic change.

Relegating 4 teams would make it hard for clubs to recover as you could potentially have 2 strong teams being relegated because of a bad draw and could take a while to have everyone at their level. Eg : Eire Og were in relegation semi this year but are good enough to be challenging for titles at senior if they put any effort in. Would also be hard to bridge gap between senior and intermediate for a few years. Last thing we want to see is the inter champs going down every year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

4 might be a bit much but it would mean that there wouldn't be much of a gap between the 2 grades which would only improve things. Also, I think it will be a while before Eire Og get things in order, there has been a massive re-focus on hurling in the town so I can't see football getting a look in for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Clareman wrote: »
    4 might be a bit much but it would mean that there wouldn't be much of a gap between the 2 grades which would only improve things. Also, I think it will be a while before Eire Og get things in order, there has been a massive re-focus on hurling in the town so I can't see football getting a look in for a while.

Relegate 2 teams per year for 4 years. Might be easier to sell to clubs than the risk of 4 getting relegated one year.

Town is big enough for both sports to be strong at same time. Have enough numbers playing just football or just hurling to be at least competitive in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

after the 8 teams in this years 1/4 finals , every other team is pretty much on par with each other after that , the future looks bleak for the likes of kilrush , kilkee and possibly o'currys , short term in the next 5 years these clubs will have to amalgamate with neighboring Parrishs to be competitive

also the hurling championship has exposed a few bigger clubs since the revamped championship , it would be no harm to get rid of the relegation finals in football until the championship stabilize some bit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The town is more than big enough for 2 clubs of hurling and football but Eire Og is a hurling club and football will always be second fiddle, not too long ago they had to have an amalgamation to get a senior team.

How about 2 down every year with 1 definitely up with a play off between the intermediate runners up and 3rd worst senior team?

• Advertisement

By the way, the last time Eire Og won the senior championship was 26 years ago, they were the jubilee team last year, they've won the football 3 times (once as the Faughs) since then.

11'oclock and 12:30 throw in times for sunday mornings double header in the park , what the hell are the county board at....

11'oclock and 12:30 throw in times for sunday mornings double header in the park , what the hell are the county board at....

All Ireland Sunday there shoudn't be any matches on but that doesn't stop out geniuses running out of weekends

All Ireland Sunday there shoudn't be any matches on but that doesn't stop out geniuses running out of weekends

whats wrong with saturday afternoon/evening . fair enough the mills tulla game is on there but surly one more with it

whats wrong with saturday afternoon/evening . fair enough the mills tulla game is on there but surly one more with it

Absolutely nothing but that would mean a drop in revenue so no point in doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Limerick and Dublin both linked with Davy now! I suppose they have the pockets for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭funnyname

Absolutely nothing but that would mean a drop in revenue so no point in doing that.

A drop in revenue, who the fup in their right mind is going to bother showing up for an 11am throw in?

Also what about player welfare, gone are the days of rolling out of bed with a hangover and grabbing your gear bag. The players will be getting up at 4am to prepare for it.

Clowns in the co co board

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I thought the times were daft myself. However, it now seems that some of the teams involved requested Sunday games instead of Saturday - I heard Clarecastle and Ballyea definitely did and maybe one other.

In relation to the games at the weekend I think there will be wins for Cratloe, Tulla, Kilmaley & Newmarket. Both Clooney and Wolfe Tones are going to run their perceived superior opponents close and I can see at least one shock in these two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

A Cratloe,Ballyea Sixmilebridge treble on Sunday is 6/4, just letting ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

but Eire Og is a hurling club and football will always be second fiddle, not too long ago they had to have an amalgamation to get a senior team.

Really ?

Doesn't seem that long since we got around 7 people at hurling training, ahead of the intermediate championship.

I would consider Eire Og a proper dual club , with football stronger if anything

Really ?

Doesn't seem that long since we got around 7 people at hurling training, ahead of the intermediate championship.

I would consider Eire Og a proper dual club , with football stronger if anything

I guess different people have different impressions, I would say that Eire Og is a hurling club that does football and a few years ago they put more emphasis on football so hurling struggled.

funnyname wrote: »
    A drop in revenue, who the fup in their right mind is going to bother showing up for an 11am throw in?

Also what about player welfare, gone are the days of rolling out of bed with a hangover and grabbing your gear bag. The players will be getting up at 4am to prepare for it.

Clowns in the co co board

I mean "personal" revenue where a few bob might go missing a match takings

So it'd between Kilmaley and Newmarket to decide who goes down, I'm very surprised to see these teams in the relegation battle, I would have had them down as outside bets for the main event. Kilmaley won the under 21 last year but I'm hearing stories of a lot of dissension within the ranks and that they didn't train for 6 weeks before the resumption of the championship. Newmarket stories seem to indicate that there was a lot of effort put into soccer earlier in the year and they've had a lot of injuries. I've no idea who will win this game, Colin Lynch captained Kilmaley to a championship and is on the main page of their website, now he's trying to relegate them.

So it'd between Kilmaley and Newmarket to decide who goes down, I'm very surprised to see these teams in the relegation battle, I would have had them down as outside bets for the main event. Kilmaley won the under 21 last year but I'm hearing stories of a lot of dissension within the ranks and that they didn't train for 6 weeks before the resumption of the championship. Newmarket stories seem to indicate that there was a lot of effort put into soccer earlier in the year and they've had a lot of injuries. I've no idea who will win this game, Colin Lynch captained Kilmaley to a championship and is on the main page of their website, now he's trying to relegate them.

its been an incredible weekend with some of the results , now with wolfe tones beating the bridge it means it really is anyones championship

i fancied kilmaley to beat inagh yesterday , i still think they got the rough side of the draw to put them in this position and probably have too much for the blues

newmarket have been poor all year , would it not have made more seance for them to merge there senior and intermediate teams , there intermediate team are still in the 1/4's of there championship ,

what would happen if they do go down ? would they have two teams in the division or two junior A teams ect...

• Advertisement

ballyea stumble over the line against cloony/quinn with a 0-18 to 3-08 win , tony kelly the main scorer for the winners , number of goals a huge concern though

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/772500975542214657?lang=en

draw tomorrow night for the last 8 looks like this

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/772501509552603136?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Back to the transfer market for the Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Waiting to watch it on rte player when i get home from work but I'm reliably informed that the Sunday game analysts went to town on systems and their negative impact on the hurling season. Did anyone see it? Apparently duignan especially was mentioning podge, kelly, mcgrath etc and how ridiculous it was to see them way out the pitch foraging for the ball. Wonder if Davy was watching. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Waiting to watch it on rte player when i get home from work but I'm reliably informed that the Sunday game analysts went to town on systems and their negative impact on the hurling season. Did anyone see it? Apparently duignan especially was mentioning podge, kelly, mcgrath etc and how ridiculous it was to see them way out the pitch foraging for the ball. Wonder if Davy was watching. ....

Yeah it was pretty funny alright. Say they really wanted to go to town on Clare and Davy in particular but the discussion was moved on fairly lively.
    Duignan was back on though. Play your best players in their best and most dangerous positions.

Some shocks in the championship at the weekend. Couldn't have seen bridge and Newmarket loosing.
    Think eire og can have one of cratloe, Wolfe tones or tulla. Hopefully avoid cratloe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Claw09

Yes I saw it, we got bit of a bashing at end of the program about systems and the like, playing forwards away from goal etc.. Hope Davy was watching if he sticks around, time to change it if he does stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

http://clareherald.com/2016/08/davy-calls-for-action-with-anonymous-online-critics/

Davy going on again about online bullying. What about the abuse roaring at match officials. Is that not bullying? Was the Davy O'Halloran case a form of bullying?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Gael85 wrote: »
    http://clareherald.com/2016/08/davy-calls-for-action-with-anonymous-online-critics/

Davy going on again about online bullying. What about the abuse roaring at match officials. Is that not bullying? Was the Davy O'Halloran case a form of bullying?

Putting three !ads training on their own in a corner, forbidding them from wearing Clare gear, not letting them into the dressing rooms or showers.......can't see how anyone could think that was a form of bullying.

I'm hearing rumours that Colin Lynch is gone from Newmarket so there won't be that connection for the relegation playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Not a good year for Newmarket. According to the results on Clare Gaa, they gave a walkover in the Intermediate this weekend as well.

What has gone wrong there the last few months ?

• Advertisement

BnB wrote: »
    Not a good year for Newmarket. According to the results on Clare Gaa, they gave a walkover in the Intermediate this weekend as well.

What has gone wrong there the last few months ?

I was speaking to 1 of the players earlier and they don't know themselves, they had a meeting yesterday and they were all struggling to explain what went wrong. They've had a lot of injuries and the soccer has taken a lot from them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement