Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

funnyname wrote: »
    A rematch would add chaos to the fixtures (with Cratloe being dual) list unless they play mid-week

cant see a rematch , as far as i know lissycasey are not appealing the situation but it was an unfair decision , results today so far, Big win for Wolfe Tones against Doora/Barefield to progress to round 3 , While a strong second half from Doonbeg puts them into the last 8

https://twitter.com/wtnsgaa/status/764821356710100992

https://twitter.com/Westclarepage/status/764816254075035648

as things stand heading into the next round

Teams in 1/4 Finals
    Miltown
    Doonbeg
    Cratloe
    KIB/ ST breckans (winners)

teams in round 3 playoff draw
    KIB/ST Breckans (losers)
    Corofin/Clondegad (winners)
    O'Currys
    Kilkee
    Ennistymon
    Wolfe Tones
    Lissycasey
    Cooraclare

Teams in relegation play offs
    Eire Og
    Kilrush
    Doora/Barefield
    Corofin/Clondegad (losers)

clondegad get the job done as expected , corofin head into the relegation playoff
    clondegad into round 3

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/764886835730452480

funnyname wrote: »
    A rematch would add chaos to the fixtures (with Cratloe being dual) list unless they play mid-week

lissycasey have launched an appeal to the county board to have there game with cratloe replayed , it would probably cause serious problems to both championships given the amount of duel players on both panels. cathal doohan was the player sent off he is involved with ballyea in hurling while lissycasey have a number of players on the kilmaley panel

the draw for the next round is due for 6'oclock this evening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Latest rumour I've heard in regards to Davy is that he's retiring on health grounds but he's taking up a new role of Director of Hurling in Clare. Liam Sheedy has also supposed to be lined up to replace Davy.

You've to love rumours season

Clareman wrote: »
    Latest rumour I've heard in regards to Davy is that he's retiring on health grounds but he's taking up a new role of Director of Hurling in Clare. Liam Sheedy has also supposed to be lined up to replace Davy.

to be honest the reality is fitz will probably see out his tenure with as you predicted a number of players might opt to drop out for a year next year just like last year when a number of them went playing football , the truth is a number of players would prefer a change but the nature of this bunch is to remain honest and say nothing , most of the rumor's are coming from lads like ourselves , completely fed up with the current arrangement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Davy is that he's retiring... but taking up a new role of Director of Hurling in Clare.

How is that going to work against the new Manager ...or is it a case of "jobs for the boy"???

draw for the 3rd round of the football championship winners progress to the 1/4 finals , no word yet on the lissycasey appeal so they enter as normal

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/765238985228742657

the relagation play/off see's a derby between doora/barefield and Eire og , where the losers of kilrush or corofin would be up against it in the final for the drop

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/765239169547460608

Hibrasil wrote: »
    How is that going to work against the new Manager ...or is it a case of "jobs for the boy"???

if this was to happen it would most likley be donal og manager with davey as director or what ever his title would be , liam sheedy dose not have the time to commit to full time management thats why he is seen in small advisory roles for a few club teams , most recently newmarket-on fergus

it is not going to happen ,the players ( most of whom) are not happy with the system they are asked to play would stick it out for one more year with fitz but i doubt they would tolerate something like which has been said above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't forget jobs for the girls as well, his sister has a nice gig as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Dear god that would be a disaster. I would take another lost year at senior level rather than have that happen. His buddies would be in charge of every single Clare underage team as well, running them up and down fields and roaring about heart.

I don't know how the players are going to face back into another year of this craic. I guess they have to buy into the progress narrative, they have little alternative. 'This time the team that knocked us out wasn't obliterated a round or two later'.

The problem with the progress narrative is that Davy will presumably buy into the notion that he is on the right path. Waterford and Galway only a puck of the ball away from the final, not far away etc. At no point over the three abysmal years that have now elapsed since we won the All-Ireland has their been a really honest appraisal of what went wrong. He can't even admit that anything has gone wrong.

It would be nice to think that this is just the way he presents things to the media, but the subsequent performances suggest otherwise. More of the same year on year, and it will be more of the same for 2017 too. Maybe we can win another Munster League.

• Advertisement

Henno30 wrote: »
    More of the same year on year, and it will be more of the same for 2017 too.

Banging your head off the wall and getting a different result each time....absolute lunacy (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Don't forget jobs for the girls as well, his sister has a nice gig as well

What job has the sister?

Banging your head off the wall and getting a different result each time....absolute lunacy (I think)

It is all very depressing. The Waterford game this year was the most damning of all. There you had a squad with a similar age profile and a similar standing in the grand scheme of things, and they blew us away. Stepped on the gas once or twice and opened up huge leads when they did. The only thing we could say for ourselves is that we ate into a huge lead to make it a relatively close game before we were outhurled again going down the stretch. Which is exactly how it was in the Galway game also.

If you compare the talent on the books with the senior teams in Waterford and Galway, this just should not be happening. We should at least be competitive. But we are seeing players in other counties overtake ours year after year. Our players just aren't performing and are certainly not improving.

I have huge admiration for Waterford, but player for player you can't argue that they have a much more talented squad than we have. Ok so they have Gleeson, who is magnificent. But we have Kelly who is fairly special himself. Is Jamie Barron really that much more talented than Colm Galvin? How much better is Pauric Mahony than, say, Conor McGrath? How much more ability does TDB have than David McInerney?

To be so far off these other teams is just appalling. It should not be happening. And it is all made worse by the manager then turning around and arguing that he's doing a fantastic job. The man had the opportunity to learn from 5 major championship defeats over the last three years before the Galway game this year, and didn't find the answer. If he hasn't found it by now, he's not going to find it this winter. He can't get performances out of this team, he won't get performances out of this team, and the sooner he or the players recognise that the sooner the rebuilding can begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Well said henno. Its so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

It is all very depressing. The Waterford game this year was the most damning of all. There you had a squad with a similar age profile and a similar standing in the grand scheme of things, and they blew us away. Stepped on the gas once or twice and opened up huge leads when they did. The only thing we could say for ourselves is that we ate into a huge lead to make it a relatively close game before we were outhurled again going down the stretch. Which is exactly how it was in the Galway game also.

If you compare the talent on the books with the senior teams in Waterford and Galway, this just should not be happening. We should at least be competitive. But we are seeing players in other counties overtake ours year after year. Our players just aren't performing and are certainly not improving.

I have huge admiration for Waterford, but player for player you can't argue that they have a much more talented squad than we have. Ok so they have Gleeson, who is magnificent. But we have Kelly who is fairly special himself. Is Jamie Barron really that much more talented than Colm Galvin? How much better is Pauric Mahony than, say, Conor McGrath? How much more ability does TDB have than David McInerney?

To be so far off these other teams is just appalling. It should not be happening. And it is all made worse by the manager then turning around and arguing that he's doing a fantastic job. The man had the opportunity to learn from 5 major championship defeats over the last three years before the Galway game this year, and didn't find the answer. If he hasn't found it by now, he's not going to find it this winter. He can't get performances out of this team, he won't get performances out of this team, and the sooner he or the players recognise that the sooner the rebuilding can begin.

Excellent post.

What job has the sister?

At the moment she's on the supporters club but that'll change to a more "prominent" role in the next election, Pat will have to step aside or into a new role so don't be surprised by his replacement.

Pat will have to step aside or into a new role so don't be surprised by his replacement.

Olympic Council of Ireland'itis or better still FIFA'itis ;);)

At the moment she's on the supporters club but that'll change to a more "prominent" role in the next election, Pat will have to step aside or into a new role so don't be surprised by his replacement.

Pat fully intends to bequeath Clare GAA in its entirety to his own family. It is abundantly clear at this point. Definitely no nepotism though. How dare we even think it.

Pat fully intends to bequeath Clare GAA in its entirety to his own family. It is abundantly clear at this point. Definitely no nepotism though. How dare we even think it.

But isn't it Croke Park that appoint the secretary?

Just as well the family wasn't any bigger....

all too depressing reading about the current set up and the way things are run , thankfully the club championship restarts some really big games in the losers group with some big names heading for the relegation playoff and out of the championship race , expect few shocks in the winners round , fancy feakle to keep there good run going while eire og v clarecastle seems very close a nudge in favor of the magpies while clonlara and crusheen look set to book 1/4 final spots

every game will be close in the losers round , huge game between the bridge and kilmaley , given the weekend forcast the conditions might not suite them, while it will be close i expect the county champions to advance . if there were to be a shock this weekend i would give tulla the best chance of providing it , david mc and daragh corry will be huge additions to the side that lost there first round game narrowly , ballyea will have to improve ten fold on there first round defeat to eire og to have any chance of beating the blues , if the game turns into a dog fight i would expect newmarket to get over the line , while i cant see cratloe getting caught on the bounce twice in quick succession and after there first round shock defeat to feakle i expect them to advance past whitegate on sunday

senior Championship Round 2
    (Winners Group)
    Éire Óg v Clarecastle @ Shannon, Saturday 1;00 -Verdict: Clarecastle
    O’Callaghan’s Mills v Feakle @ Scariff, Saturday 3:00 -Verdict: Feakle
    Wolfe Tones v Crusheen @ Broadford, Sunday 1.30 -Verdict: Crusheen
    Clooney-Quin v Clonlara @ Sixmilebridge, Sunday 12:00 -Verdict: Clonlara

Senior Championship Round 2
    (Losers Group)
    Kilmaley v Sixmilebridge @ Shannon, Saturday 2.30 -Verdict: Sixmilebridge
    Tulla v Inagh-Kilnamona@ Sixmilebridge, Sat 4.15 -Verdict: Tulla
    Ballyea v Newmarket-on-Fergus @Sixmilebridge, Saturday 5.45 Verdict:NOF
    Cratloe v Whitegate @ Tulla,Sunday 4.30 -Verdict: Cratloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

lissycasey have launched an appeal to the county board to have there game with cratloe replayed , it would probably cause serious problems to both championships given the amount of duel players on both panels. cathal doohan was the player sent off he is involved with ballyea in hurling while lissycasey have a number of players on the kilmaley panel

the draw for the next round is due for 6'oclock this evening

Any further update on the Lissycasey-Cratloe game? It will be a fixtures nightmare if it needs to be replayed

Boots234 wrote: »
    Any further update on the Lissycasey-Cratloe game? It will be a fixtures nightmare if it needs to be replayed

I heard during the week that the game won't be replayed. Not sure if Lissycasey decided not to object or what exactly happened. I'm sure the county board will be relieved if that is the case.

all too depressing reading about the current set up and the way things are run , thankfully the club championship restarts some really big games in the losers group with some big names heading for the relegation playoff and out of the championship race , expect few shocks in the winners round , fancy feakle to keep there good run going while eire og v clarecastle seems very close a nudge in favor of the magpies while clonlara and crusheen look set to book 1/4 final spots

every game will be close in the losers round , huge game between the bridge and kilmaley , given the weekend forcast the conditions might not suite them, while it will be close i expect the county champions to advance . if there were to be a shock this weekend i would give tulla the best chance of providing it , david mc and daragh corry will be huge additions to the side that lost there first round game narrowly , ballyea will have to improve ten fold on there first round defeat to eire og to have any chance of beating the blues , if the game turns into a dog fight i would expect newmarket to get over the line , while i cant see cratloe getting caught on the bounce twice in quick succession and after there first round shock defeat to feakle i expect them to advance past whitegate on sunday

senior Championship Round 2
    (Winners Group)
    Éire Óg v Clarecastle @ Shannon, Saturday 1;00 -Verdict: Clarecastle
    O’Callaghan’s Mills v Feakle @ Scariff, Saturday 3:00 -Verdict: Feakle
    Wolfe Tones v Crusheen @ Broadford, Sunday 1.30 -Verdict: Crusheen
    Clooney-Quin v Clonlara @ Sixmilebridge, Sunday 12:00 -Verdict: Clonlara

Senior Championship Round 2
    (Losers Group)
    Kilmaley v Sixmilebridge @ Shannon, Saturday 2.30 -Verdict: Sixmilebridge
    Tulla v Inagh-Kilnamona@ Sixmilebridge, Sat 4.15 -Verdict: Tulla
    Ballyea v Newmarket-on-Fergus @Sixmilebridge, Saturday 5.45 Verdict:NOF
    Cratloe v Whitegate @ Tulla,Sunday 4.30 -Verdict: Cratloe

Eire Og v Clarecastle - Hard to know with Eire Og. They looked dead and buried for long periods against ballyea but played very well to get back in the game and won well in extra time. Clarecastle struggled to beat Tulla who were without Davy Mac. What really struck me after this game was the sheer delight expressed by players and supporters. Clarecastle teams of old would think nothing of beating teams like Tulla and, if anything, would be disappointed if they ddn't beat them well. It probably shows that there isn't a great expectation with this team but they will have no fear of Eire Og and could very well win this. Definitely a value bet as Eire Og are favourites with the bookies.

The Mills v Feakle - Another game that could go either way. Feakle were physically bullied out of it at the same venue last year by Tulla so surprised they agreed to play there again. Saying that the mills wouldn't be known for being very physical themselves. Feakle are still a young team and when they hit form are very good. They are limited though numbers wise and don't really have much of a bench. The mills are down 3/4 starters. Paddy Donnellan and Adrian Donovan are very big losses for them and they're also down Conor Cooney (Elm Hill as he's known by) and Aidan Fawl. If Feakle play to their potential they should win but could easily go the other way. Feakle favourites with the bookies.

Wolfe Tones v Crusheen - Can't see anything other than a Crusheen win here.

Clooney v Cratloe - Clonlara to win easily.

Ballyea v Newmarket - Could be a classic. Two strong teams in last chance saloon. Newmarket were missing a lot for their first round and still should of beaten Shannon. I'd fancy them just about but could easily go the other way.

IK v Tulla - IK should have enough here. Played well in first round against Clooney but the goals conceded killed them.Tulla should have beaten Clarecastle but didn't have enough to see out the game and got caught at the end. They will have Davy Mac back and will be hard to beat but IK should have enough to progress.

SMB v Kilmaley - Another massive game with 2 teams that were in last years semis. Won't be much in it again. Bridge are slight favourites but wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a shock here either.

Cratloe v Whitegate - Cratloe to win.

Boots234 wrote: »

from what i can gather ,it wont be replayed the fixture for o'currys and lissycasey has been set for cooraclare next Saturday at 2'oclock , i am not too sure how much protest was behind the appeal , cratloe were missing a number of players last week and would only be stronger if the sides met again , but with the hurling championship also in full flow both sides would have been heavily affected by duel commitments it probably would not have suited either side for a replay

Eire Og v Clarecastle - Hard to know with Eire Og. They looked dead and buried for long periods against ballyea but played very well to get back in the game and won well in extra time. Clarecastle struggled to beat Tulla who were without Davy Mac. What really struck me after this game was the sheer delight expressed by players and supporters. Clarecastle teams of old would think nothing of beating teams like Tulla and, if anything, would be disappointed if they ddn't beat them well. It probably shows that there isn't a great expectation with this team but they will have no fear of Eire Og and could very well win this. Definitely a value bet as Eire Og are favourites with the bookies.

The Mills v Feakle - Another game that could go either way. Feakle were physically bullied out of it at the same venue last year by Tulla so surprised they agreed to play there again. Saying that the mills wouldn't be known for being very physical themselves. Feakle are still a young team and when they hit form are very good. They are limited though numbers wise and don't really have much of a bench. The mills are down 3/4 starters. Paddy Donnellan and Adrian Donovan are very big losses for them and they're also down Conor Cooney (Elm Hill as he's known by) and Aidan Fawl. If Feakle play to their potential they should win but could easily go the other way. Feakle favourites with the bookies.

Wolfe Tones v Crusheen - Can't see anything other than a Crusheen win here.

Clooney v Cratloe - Clonlara to win easily.

Ballyea v Newmarket - Could be a classic. Two strong teams in last chance saloon. Newmarket were missing a lot for their first round and still should of beaten Shannon. I'd fancy them just about but could easily go the other way.

IK v Tulla - IK should have enough here. Played well in first round against Clooney but the goals conceded killed them.Tulla should have beaten Clarecastle but didn't have enough to see out the game and got caught at the end. They will have Davy Mac back and will be hard to beat but IK should have enough to progress.

SMB v Kilmaley - Another massive game with 2 teams that were in last years semis. Won't be much in it again. Bridge are slight favourites but wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a shock here either.

Cratloe v Whitegate - Cratloe to win.

eire og did not set the world alight against ballyea back in may . apart from 2 or 3 fantastic individual displays they were ordenary enough , clarecastle would not have the same fire power per say but it will probably come down to a shoot out between david reidy (scored 0-16 v ballyea) and bobby duggen (0-13 v tulla) thomas downes is out for eire og too , he had a stormer on tony kelly back in may also

as you say , expect wins for clonlara,cratloe and crusheen . i still think the bridge are heavily underestimated . a narrow loss to crusheen would in my opinion make them favorites against a plucky kilmaley side , while kilmaley put it up to clon back then, clonlara were without the galvins and john conlon good year last year for kilmaley but maybe a year too early this year for a real serious challenge

the heavy conditions will suite the blues against ballyea but as everyone knows its all about which ballyea side turn up , they are one of the best sides in the county on paper but have failed to deliver , and the talk of david mac going in full forward against the combo will cause no end of havoc just having him back is a huge addition, as a neutral i enjoy watching tulla a good young side and plenty of heart , although when they got involved with newmarket last year it was the losing of the game for them and sent them packing from the championship i feel they should be slight favorites to beat inagh/kilnamona ,bonous territory for feakle really i made my prediction based on oisin o'donnells and shane mcgraths good performances for the clare intermediate recently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hon the town :D

sorry about the lack of updates today phone issues....., great wins for eire og and feakle in the winners round they progress to the last 8 while its squeakey bum time for newmarket , inagh/kilnamona and kilmaley as they get ready for the relegation playoffs

a late finish for feakle with 4 unanswered points was enough to see the relegation favorites at the start of the year into the last 8 of the championship with an impressive tally of 3-15 in poor conditions , goals form shane mcgrath,martin daly and raymond bane

eire og are the other big winners of the championship today with a 3 point win over clarecastle big scoring performances again from david reidy and danny russell were key to the townies advance to the last 8 where gerry o'connors men will now be dangerous opposition for anyone , also good to see davey o'holloran back playing championship hurling again he also chipped in with a score or two as the townies look like dark horses

tony kelly did most of scoring for ballyea as they saw off newmarket in a low scoring affair in sixmilebridge , while a last minute darragh corry goal proved huge as tulla saw off inagh;kilnamona, kilmaley will rue a number of missed opportunities and possibly some defensive errors as they lost 3-11 to 1-12 to the bridge in shannon

Winners Round

Eire og 1-19 1-16 Clarecastle
    Feakle 3-15 2-12 O'C Mills

Losers Round

Ballyea 0-12 -0-07 Newmarket
    Sixmilebridge 3-11 1-12 Kilmaley
    Tulla 2-12 -1-12 Inagh/Kilnamona

Clonlara 2-13 1-11 Clooney/quinn

A strong second half performance by the south clare men out scoring there opponents 0-11 to 0-07 in the second 30mins to see off a plucky clooney/quinn and progress to the last 8

Clon lead at half time 2-02 to 1-04 in heavy conditions with goals from darrach honan and nicky o'connell , clooney/quinns goal coming from michael daffy ,descent effort by C/Quinn and a repeat performance in the play/off round especially from there first half efforts and they will be joining clonlara in the 1/4 finals

Twitter up dates from the club championship earlier crusheen saw off wolfe tones while its half time in the final game of the weekend

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/767360700268290048?lang=en

https://twitter.com/CratloeGAAClub/status/767394827143118848?lang=en

• Advertisement

cratloe through as expected to round 3 , tough ask now for whitegate in the relegation final

https://twitter.com/CratloeGAAClub/status/767406542840819712?lang=en

1/4 Finals

Crusheen
    Clonlara
    Eire Og
    Feakle

Round 3 playoffs
    Ballyea
    Clarecastle
    Cratloe
    Clooney/quinn
    Sixmilebridge