Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning progressively colder through the week, Very cold with snow showers later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Light snow shower 10 minutes ago, didn't stay.
    Location City West, Co Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Fairly persistent moderate snow here - starting to lie on car rooves and grass :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing here now in Donegal, ground is very wet though to expect it to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »

if the temperature drops as the night goes on it will eventually start to stick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Thats good it should then give us a wee rest bite for a while just enough to get below 0c and freeze everthing so that we get snow by morning doubt it!:mad::mad: what is our chances of lying snow by morning anyway mountain has 3-5cm so far already... why are the showers hail...snow...hail snow when will we get snow snow snow! so we have a better chance of snow... (lying)

• Advertisement

Yup lieing here now in Donegal, nice and white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Light dusting here now too. East Donegal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Nacho was correct then :eek:

K-9 wrote: »
    Light dusting here now too. East Donegal.
    Yeah nothing major yet but should be something nice in the morning. :cool:

Nacho was correct then :eek:

I know i'm scared too:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Snow and ice up here...

The car is packed and I need to go down to sell in Town as we need the money so desperately for our Haitian babies. Every cent is vital.

Please God that last/first mile of lane is not bad. Hoping Town will be clear also. That is is "just" up here as last time was. Going down is not the problem; getting back up is a different matter

currently -2c here and meto uk are forecasting a 1c max here and snow showers all day and all night ....hurray this is going to be the best because any snow should lie... aswell as this tonight a band of snow is coming hopefully it stays below 0c and we drop to around -3c and -2c at the nearest station so we have a chance of staying sub zero...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Beautiful frosty morning here, -2c.

A nice covering of snow here , couple of cms i suppose, place completley white.
    Very scenic with the sun shining. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

And a nice layer of snow here in Strabane as well.

Nacho was right. :D

Been bucketing down here for the last half hour, very heavy , putting another depth onto the snow. :D Over an inch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Been bucketing down here for the last half hour, very heavy , putting another depth onto the snow. :D Over an inch now.

Ah I can't believe this again, it's so nice to be back in Donegal for the snow, Pity I'm away again tomorrow...

Do you have much depth up there??

Such dry powdery snow :D

were are you ? I cannot beleive this the sun is out with revenge melting everything meanwhile less than a mile away it is snowing giving over 5cm of snow! seriously im serious the snow is just less than a mile accross the fields from here its defiantely not gonig to lie now!:mad::mad: 1.8c a shower is coming how long should it take to lie if its heavy and lasts long enough?

A nice covering of snow here , couple of cms i suppose, place completley white.
    Very scenic with the sun shining. :D

oh that's typical of you senor Pangea. hoarding it all for yourself:mad:;)

owenc wrote: »
    were are you ? I cannot beleive this the sun is out with revenge melting everything meanwhile less than a mile away it is snowing giving over 5cm of snow! seriously im serious the snow is just less than a mile accross the fields from here its defiantely not gonig to lie now!:mad::mad: 1.8c a shower is coming how long should it take to lie if its heavy and lasts long enough?
    In SW Dongeal, lol that is kinda funny ,I can just picture you on the other side of the snow with ur fist in the air.
    This type of snow isnt going to last too long in my opinion ,this looks like a typical irish snow event , it snows and probably melts the same day. Still cant complain ,any snow is welcome.
    oh that's typical of you senor Pangea. hoarding it all for yourself:mad:;)
    :P

• Advertisement

Wow amazing how quiet the forum is , I guess Donegal is the only place that has snow then, its been bucketing down here for the past 30 minutes again, like a blizzard at one stage.
    But 50% of the snow from this morning has melted so its just falling on wet ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Wintry showers will affect parts of the north, west and southwest tonight, with some snow accumulations likely. Staying mostly dry elsewhere with clear spells. Another very cold night, with lowest temperatures 0 to minus 5 degrees. Very frosty too, with a widespread sharp to severe frost, as well as some icy stretches. Some freezing fog patches also.

Sounds promising

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like this cold spell is going Bartlett judging by the UK Met fax charts.

brack3.gif

This scenario once developed is notoriously hard to shift. If winter is to return proper it really needs to in the next couple of week or so, by the end of February the sun is getting increasingly strong and prolonged snow is harder and harder to get.

I had more than enough snow this winter, bah humbug!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thankfully very little snow lying in Donegal Town early this morning and none fell today either. Minimal. Unmeasurable as up here.

What there was up here has also all but gone.

Hard frost is all that remains and a little on the verges at high levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks like this cold spell is going Bartlett judging by the UK Met fax charts.

brack3.gif

This scenario once developed is notoriously hard to shift. If winter is to return proper it really needs to in the next couple of week or so, by the end of February the sun is getting increasingly strong and prolonged snow is harder and harder to get.

I had more than enough snow this winter, bah humbug!

Forgive my ignorance Supercell, but what does "going Bartlett mean"? Just asking as I am not sure if the UKMO chart above means it will get colder or milder!! :)

Derek

derekon wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance Supercell, but what does "going Bartlett mean"? Just asking as I am not sure if the UKMO chart above means it will get colder or milder!! :)

Derek

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/117

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Oh god here we go again. As long as it doesnt last four weeks its ok :-) Snow yes, cold no

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Oh god here we go again. As long as it doesnt last four weeks its ok :-) Snow yes, cold no

well, it's looking increasingly likely it's not going to happen. so you will most likely get your wish about no sustained cold taking place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Thanks Nacho, makes sense now!

D

Advertisement