Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning progressively colder through the week, Very cold with snow showers later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mixed signals continue, by no means would I rule out another significant cold spell around the second week of February. But it's not a sure thing either.

The strength of the projected high in northern Russia (above 1060 mbs) means that it can weaken somewhat and still make its presence felt a lot further west. And this is pretty much what the ECM and GFS hint at, around the 7th to 9th of February. But the Atlantic has at least woken up slightly, so the path is not quite as smooth as it was in early January.

There may be another snowfall event of some significance before the month of February is done, let's put it that way.

yes as was neatly put earlier fi is if backwards. So despite what the models might show the atlantic, even at this time of year, can spoil the party. as you say the high could easily weaken more than anticipitated.
    that being said you went for a cold winter overall in your long range forecast, so with februrary usually being our snowiest month of the year, i think it's safe to assume we'll see snow at some point during this February.

however, it's unlikely to be anything significant- unless it's unforseen. it's just the way significant falls of snow tend to occur in Ireland. When it's forecast, as we saw yet again in the last cold spell, it rarely pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

So far today in Strabane, we have had sleet, a 10 minute snow shower that obviously didn't stick, and a hail shower. Right now, it's windy and the ground is drying up pretty quickly.

smashey wrote: »
    So far today in Strabane, we have had sleet, a 10 minute snow shower that obviously didn't stick, and a hail shower. Right now, it's windy and the ground is drying up pretty quickly.

just wait till evening time, i'd say with the temperature dropping steadily during the day, it should start to accumulate up there by that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

just wait till evening time, i'd say with the temperature dropping steadily during the day, it should start to accumulate up there by that stage
    Is that an invite to the rollercoaster? :D

smashey wrote: »
    Is that an invite to the rollercoaster? :D

Sure is:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graupel shower here atm. :) 4.8c DP 0.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

heavy hail in the City Centre of Dublin!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

snowy showers in Dublin 2

Do you think i should leave work now?:rolleyes:

Edit: oh, its stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

however, it's unlikely to be anything significant- unless it's unforseen. it's just the way significant falls of snow tend to occur in Ireland. When it's forecast, as we saw yet again in the last cold spell, it rarely pans out.
    In other words stop wasting your time looking at weather forecasts and go back to the looking out the window method :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Day one of this cold snap and so far it is a load of bollix. Hopefull day 2 will be better.

• Advertisement

Theres a covering of snow here in the hills of Donegal. Just rain and sleet in lower levels.

the wintry showers were not due to set in till the evening further south. in any case the north will always be favourite to get them. Ony a few showers will likely make it to south connacht today. There is a chance of a shortwave feature tomorrow, which will affect a wider area, but what's the betting things will turn marginal tomorrow evening at lower levels;)

Pangea wrote: »
    Theres a covering of snow here in the hills of Donegal. Just rain and sleet in lower levels.

i'm fairly confident you'll see snow later on this evening and into tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

lovely sunny but chilly day in d17,on another note thanks to all the lads who post their forcasts&have us checking in daily for the banter,keep up the gud work guys

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Heavy hail in Lusk, dark and windy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Hail, sleet/snow shower just passed in Meath. Good to see flakes of white dancing around in the wind again.

i'm fairly confident you'll see snow later on this evening and into tonight.
    Really, The ground is pretty wet now with the hail and rain, cant see it lying much unless its heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Big, dirty Mayo shower just passing through. Temp has dropped 1.5c in the last 10 mins.

Just raining here now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not wrote: »
    Just raining here now.

Where's here? First rule of weather forum - put your location on. Second rule is there are no other rules. :D

Sleet, rain, hail and graupel here in the last half hour. 3.4c DP 0.9c

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Where's here? First rule of weather forum - put your location on. Second rule is there are no other rules. :D

Sleet, rain, hail and graupel here in the last half hour. 3.4c DP 0.9c

Look a few posts back. Here tends to change quite a bit. Meath atm.

Snow !!! Near Rathoath ! Belting down for a few seconds then just stopped.

Just had proper snow flakes out of the back edge of that shower. 2.8c DP 0.9c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Sleet/snow shower east Cavan now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »

Same here except it's snow down low and very heavy!!! 0.9c aswell I think I might have a covering in the morning as after 10 mins there is alreaddy another shower coming!!

Sleet here now, but that last shower started with a dense cloud of big snow flakes.

What is the difference, definition wise, between sleet and snow. How do I know the difference between light snow, and sleet ? There's a lot of 'whatever that is' coming down here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

What is the difference, definition wise, between sleet and snow. How do I know the difference between light snow, and sleet ? There's a lot of 'whatever that is' coming down here now.

It doesn't matter when you're neither here nor there:D

www.freedictonary.com :

Sleet

Precipitation that falls to earth in the form of frozen or partially frozen raindrops, often when the temperature is near the freezing point. Sleet usually leaves the cloud in the form of snow that melts as it passes through warm layers of air during its descent. The raindrops and partially melted snowflakes then freeze in the colder layers nearer the earth before striking the ground as pellets of ice, which usually bounce. By contrast,hail forms by the accumulation of layers of ice on the hailstone as it moves up and down in the cloud, and hailstones can become much larger than sleet pellets. The word sleet is also used informally to describe a mixture of snow, sleet, and rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice moderate snow shower here now, settling on car roofs and grass, will melt as soon as it stops, but is nice to see.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement