Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning progressively colder through the week, Very cold with snow showers later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie:
    Thursday night will be cloudy and breezy with spells of rain for a time, clearing later. Friday will be a cold day with a fresh northwest wind. It'll be dry a lot of the time but there will be some patchy rain or sleet. It'll be very cold on Friday night with widespread frost and icy patches. Staying cold through Saturday and Sunday. Apart from isolated showers, Saturday will be mostly dry. Sunday may bring a few wintry showers. There will be a light northwesterly breeze on Saturday and a moderate to fresh northwesterly breeze on Sunday. Nights will be frosty with the risk of freezing fog.

nothing to get too excited about there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

As tomorrow night's front moves through, it could become quite blowy on its back edge, esp along the west, and later north, coasts later friday night into saturday morning:

103682.png

Could be a wily night for some of those living on exposed headlands etc.

As tomorrow night's front moves through, it could become quite blowy on its back edge, esp along the west, and later north, coasts later friday night into saturday morning:

103682.png

Could be a wily night for some of those living on exposed headlands etc.

yes, paddy1 seeing as you crave gusty weather. perhaps you should head up to an exposed area like the erris peninsula

nothing to get too excited about

Yep. The north will always be more exposed to any snow shower potential this weekend, but if I was living there, I wouldn't be getting to excited either.

yes, paddy1 seeing as you crave gusty weather. perhaps you should head up to an exposed area like the erris peninsula

The Sky road in Clifton would be my choice Nacho. Have you ever been? Stand up there in a force 11/12 storm, and you will never be the same again. I still get chills thinking about it. :cool:

• Advertisement

The Sky road in Clifton would be my choice Nacho. Have you ever been? Stand up there in a force 11/12 storm, and you will never be the same again. I still get chills thinking about it. :cool:

yes i've been there on my rare forays into Galway. Though, i've never been there during a storm.

as well as this weekend likely being a damp squib snow-wise,
    it seems the most reliable model has backtracked on
    a severe cold incursion taking place at least in the medium term. it wouldn't be a surprise if M.T.Cranium's orginial prediction for February is correct afterall. With cold returning again at the end of the month.

yes i've been there on my rare forays into Galway.

Why are you afraid of us Nacho? I know we are, by nature, a superior race in a superior county, but we do not bite. In fact, we welcome visits from Mayo peoples. They amuse us. :D Steamboat.

I fear you may be right, any cold spell from here on in will lose more potency as time wears on. An end of feb cold spell won't cut it for me. It is about time we started to get some decent weather. If that means mild, then so be it. I will take mild and stormy above non-descript and average any day.

Why are you afraid of us Nacho? I know we are, by nature, a superior race in a superior county, but we do not bite. In fact, we welcome visits from Mayo peoples. They amuse us. :D Steamboat.

I fear you may be right, any cold spell from here on in will lose more potency as time wears on. An end of feb cold spell won't cut it for me. It is about time we started to get some decent weather. If that means mild, then so be it. I will take mild and stormy above non-descript and average any day.

well it depends what your perception of decent is. for the likes of grace7 and seadevils the weather from monday to wednesday will be decent;)
    for you decent would be a storm. i'm not averse to one myself either;)- certainly a storm would be preferable to these endless damp-squibs in terms of snowfall this winter

though, a cold spell, which brought two days of snow showers, at the end of february would do me.

i've given up on hoping for significant snowfall this winter. the last cold spell proved no matter how good the charts may look for significant snow fall, at lower levels in ireland, such events are extremely rare. so if the charts suggest this possibility during the coming weeks, it's very unlikely to happen.
    so baring a time machine taking us(those who want to see significant snowfall accumulate) back to '63 or 47, we should give up on the idea of seeing similar amounts of snow fallling in our time on this earth.
    still, it would be a terrible time for the forecasters in met eireann if such amounts of snow were actually to fall. imagine having to break the bad news on each forecast that there was no sign of the snow letting up;)

well it depends what your perception of decent is. for the likes of grace7 and seadevils the weather from monday to wednesday will be decent;)
    for you decent would be a storm. i'm not averse to one myself either;)- certainly a storm would be preferable to these endless damp-squibs in terms of snowfall this winter

though, a cold spell, which brought two days of snow showers, at the end of february would do me.

i've given up on hoping for significant snowfall this winter. the last cold spell proved no matter how good the charts may look for significant snow fall, at lower levels in ireland, such events are extremely rare. so if the charts suggest this possibility during the coming weeks, it's very unlikely to happen.
    so baring a time machine taking us(those who want to see significant snowfall accumulate) back to '63 or 47, we should give up on the idea of seeing similar amounts of snow fallling in our time on this earth.
    still, it would be a terrible time for the forecasters in met eireann if such amounts of snow were actually to fall. imagine having to break the bad news on each forecast that there was no sign of the snow letting up;)

Of course, perception is everything, and I only speak from my own, but it is a valid as anybody elses ;)

As far as I am aware, 63 was not a particularly snowy winter, at least here in the west as it was a predominantly easterly winter. '47 on the other hand, was influenced by nearby troughing in the Atlantic and occasionally from Europe. I heard a particularly sad story the other day about how a group of rail road workers in in the south east Mayo (near Claremorris) region became overwhelmed by a sudden. violent blizzard and ended up freezing to death before they made it home. :(

As much as I would love to see a repeat of that winter, I would only enjoy its likes if it did not cause so much suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The animals are doing nothing strange of late... so it looks like nothing too exciting is going to happen with weather.

As for storms, the mullet would be a good bet in a storm or Achill. The windest place I've ever been was on the shoulder of the Reek one night in a february gale, every step forward I took I was blown 3 or 4 feet backards... my jacket was puffed out like a hot air balloon and I had to seek refuge in the toilets. When I eventually braved the storm again it was perfectly still on the summit and you could see lightning below us in the clouds.

Deep,

You must pay service to the higher culture and more esteemed people of Mayo, Galway was a heathen anglo-norman stronghold under the yoke of the anglo-normans - who locked the native Irish out because we were better looking and would have stolen all their chicks.

If it wasn't for Mayo people, like Granuaile and Michael Davitt, you'd still be tipping your caps and givng your potatoes to the despicable Earls of Clanricarde... and we have more weather stations. :p

• Advertisement

Of course, perception is everything, and I only speak from my own, but it is a valid as anybody elses ;)

As far as I am aware, 63 was not a particularly snowy winter, at least here in the west as it was a predominantly easterly winter. '47 on the other hand, was influenced by nearby troughing in the Atlantic and occasionally from Europe. I heard a particularly sad story the other day about how a group of rail road workers in in the south east Mayo (near Claremorris) region became overwhelmed by a sudden. violent blizzard and ended up freezing to death before they made it home. :(

As much as I would love to see a repeat of that winter, I would only enjoy its likes if it did not cause so much suffering.

sorry, but you being from sham town means your opinion is automatically discounted;)

of course no one wants to see anyone suffering. still, that said i don't feel bad for wanting extreme weather. in the same way those who crave hot weather won't feel responsible for what may happen during a heatwave. as the weather will do what it wants regardless of our wishes.

snow ghost wrote: »
    The animals are doing nothing strange of late... so it looks like nothing too exciting is going to happen with weather.

As for storms, the mullet would be a good bet in a storm or Achill. The windest place I've ever been was on the shoulder of the Reek one night in a february gale, every step forward I took I was blown 3 or 4 feet backards... my jacket was puffed out like a hot air balloon and I had to seek refuge in the toilets. When I eventually braved the storm again it was perfectly still on the summit and you could see lightning below us in the clouds.

Deep,

You must pay service to the higher culture and more esteemed people of Mayo, Galway was a heathen anglo-norman stronghold under the yoke of the anglo-normans - who locked the native Irish out because we were better looking and would have stolen all their chicks.

If it wasn't for Mayo people, like Granuaile and Michael Davitt, you'd still be tipping your caps and givng your potatoes to the despicable Earls of Clanricarde... and we have more weather stations. :p

well-played sir:D

Deep,

We tug the fore lock to no one and while you may have more weather stations, I don't begrudge, because God knows, ye need something up there! :p

sorry, but you being from sham town means your opinion is automatically discounted;)

of course no one wants to see anyone suffering. still, that said i don't feel bad for wanting extreme weather. in the same way those who crave hot weather won't feel responsible for what may happen during a heatwave. as the weather will do what it wants regardless of our wishes.

Not sure of your problem with Sham Town Mr Nacho? I think you love us really. :D

I am not saying to apologize for liking extreme weather. I certainly don't. I am just highlighting the fact that it can cause death and suffering with the examples above.

We tug the fore lock to no one and while you may have more weather stations, I don't begrudge, because God knows, ye need something up there! :p

Talking of up there, I only went up the Reek that night so I could look 'down' on Galway. ;)

That I said we do enjoy our trips to Galway City, we still steal their chicks and are better looking. :D

Talking of up there, I only went up the Reek that night so I could look 'down' on Galway. ;)

That I said we do enjoy our trips to Galway City, we still steal their chicks because they are better looking. :D

I agree :p

I think we need some interesting weather...

Not sure of your problem with Sham Town Mr Nacho? I think you love us really. :D

I am not saying to apologize for liking extreme weather. I certainly don't. I am just highlighting the fact that it can cause death and suffering with the examples above.

i think you are in denial paddy1. sure your esteemed bicycle man use to talk about the 'shapes' having a torrid time in sham town after certain funerals;)
    yes, extreme weather does obviously cause suffering, on the other hand i heard countless inspirational stories of gallantry and fortitude borne out of such adversity like 1947. this is why, without being too philosophical, i admire the power of nature to still influence our lives and behaviour. in the modern world full of fancy gadgets, it's humbling to realise we are still largely subservient to mother nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

deep easterly you are from Tuam! I am from galway, as Martin Manseragh said "Respect your betters!!" Nacho libre Mayo... what can i say:D:D agree on what you say though sick of spin,pr, gadgets, "we are where we are" "the only show in town" i love the weather for being what it is, no spin no crap just whatever it wants to be..

That I said we do enjoy our trips to Galway City, we still steal their chicks and are better looking. :D

though i'm loathe to admit it, the living room is a nice spot...

Also, some of the barmaids in that pub are easy on the eye:)

i think you are in denial paddy1. sure your esteemed bicycle man use to talk about the shapes having a torrid time in sham town after certain funerals;)

Shhhhsush Nacho, Shhhush :pac:.

Yes, mammy nature's power will humble us everytime and defy even the seemingly most scientific logic on it.

• Advertisement

I agree :p

I think we need some interesting weather...

Yes, we do need some extreme weather... isn't it amazing how the weather affects people... I wonder if any one has ever done research into the effects of weather into peoples' psyche?

On an ancedotal level I noticed, the Aussies were a lot more laid back and less prone to aggression when drunk... I concluded that this was due to it being too hot to fight.

I also notice that many of Ireland's west coast islanders are mostly raving lunatics... I concluded that it was because it usually was so wild, wet and windy that the boats with the booze couldn't cross to them and they couldn't play cricket so they'd copulate with their cousins instead.

If the weather affects badger behaviour on a subconcious level, it must do the same with human beings... and Galwegians. :)

deep easterly you are from Tuam! I am from galway, as Martin Manseragh said "Respect your betters!!"

What...????

Yes, we do need some extreme weather... isn't it amazing how the weather affects people... I wonder if any one has ever done research into the effects of weather into peoples' psyche?

On an ancedotal level I noticed, the Aussies were a lot more laid back and less prone to aggression when drunk... I concluded that this was due to it being too hot to fight.

I also notice that many of Ireland's west coast islanders are mostly raving lunatics... I concluded that it was because it usually was so wild, wet and windy that the boats with the booze couldn't cross to them and they couldn't play cricket so they'd copulate with their cousins instead.

If the weather affects badger behaviour on a subconcious level, it must do the same with human beings... and Galwegians. :)

:D

Actually, this is something I have wondered about about, if the actual climate of a country effects the general psyche. Ireland has a temperate climate, so are we a temperate race as a result? Would be interesting to know if such a study was done and if so, what the findings were. :)

deep easterly you are from Tuam! I am from galway, as Martin Manseragh said "Respect your betters!!"

LOL Even the rest of Galway is disowning Shamtown now! :D:D

LOL Even the rest of Galway is disowning Shamtown now! :D:D

Stems from an inferiority complex :D

:D

Actually, this is something I have wondered about about, if the actual climate of a country effects the general psyche. Ireland has a temperate climate, so are we a temperate race as a result? Would be interesting to know if such a study was done and if so, what the findings were. :)

Indeed Deep, there are the obvious effects that the weather has on a culture level in terms of customs, agriculture, housing, traditions, etc. But it would be very interesting if there had been research into how it affects a peoples'/nation's/culture's psyche... because it obviously does.

Stems from an inferiority complex :D

...or a total lack of geographical knowledge. ;)

Indeed Deep, there are the obvious effects that the weather has on a culture level in terms of customs, agriculture, housing, traditions, etc. But it would be very interesting if there had been research into how it affects a peoples'/nation's/culture's psyche... because it obviously does.

I might spend some time tomorrow evening having a gawk on the web for such research. I will pop into the Geography Dept in NUIG on Friday to see if any such research exists in the James Hardiman Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ha ha just pulling the piss:D tuam is grand... keep up the good work etc, by the way deep easterly I think you sent on that german/dutch/danish weather model thing to me during christmas very handy, many thanks;)

• Advertisement

Ha ha just pulling the piss:D tuam is grand... keep up the good work etc, by the way deep easterly I think you sent on that german/dutch/danish weather model thing to me during christmas very handy, many thanks;)

I am not sure that was me? :o

Advertisement