Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning progressively colder through the week, Very cold with snow showers later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Hmmm... i was in a bit of a drunken haze over christmas, whoever sent it nice one, its the yr.com thing, anyhow bloody rubbish weather grey overcast muck:rolleyes:

By the way, this is what i was on about:lol:
    On an RTÉ radio[5] show Morning Ireland in February 2008, Mansergh reassured listeners that Ahern's difficulties were no more than a spot of inflight turbulence, with a safe landing in sight. When Fine Gael's tribunal expert, Senator Eugene Regan dissented, Mansergh became quite agitated, questioning why Regan dared to question Ahern's finances declaring to Regan that: You should have respect for your betters![5]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

While our weather will be colder over the weekend, it won't be anything too significant,however height rises to our north are being forecasted for a while now and IF it materialises i think this will come from the siberian high pushing west and helping to scoop up a greenland linking high leading to possibly a big ticket rollercoaster ride.( FANTASY ISLAND WARNING )

forecast_3_nh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So guys, Those who were saying big freeze part 2 was coming, dont ya think it was very ramping saying that?
    Also met eireann say it will get milder as soon as monday, as far as im concerned no cold spell is worth getting too excited about when the weather forecasters see the end of the cold spell before it has even begun!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wudnt even call this a cold spell, its just 2 cool days with some wintery showers in the NW. 3-5C and dry/Sunny in the East = no cold spell:) 7C+ from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pangea wrote: »
    So guys, Those who were saying big freeze part 2 was coming, dont ya think it was very ramping saying that?
    Also met eireann say it will get milder as soon as monday, as far as im concerned no cold spell is worth getting too excited about when the weather forecasters see the end of the cold spell before it has even begun!

Don't think they were talking about the short flow from the north.
    It's the end of next week in F1 that's showing an evolution to another bitter easterly. Whether it materialises or not only time will tell.

• Advertisement

Don't think they were talking about the short flow from the north.
    It's the end of next week in F1 that's showing an evolution to another bitter easterly. Whether it materialises or not only time will tell.
    Hmm dont think so , they said today :P
    darkman2 wrote: »

THE BIG FREEZE RETURNS FROM THURSDAY

Hmm dont think so , they said today :P

Nothing there about the big freeze part 2 :P
    Like i said it's then end of next week and nothing is set it stone :( mores the pity.
    Snowy chart watching in Feb would be a nice way to bring us in spring ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Ofcourse it was ramping-a reaction to charts that were showing cold weather.

Is that a problem?

The GFS on Tuesday showed this for the 7th of February

7thFeb.jpg

Today they show this for the same period

untitled-4.jpg

That is a definite cold trend developing for around the 8/9/10 of Feb and will be worth following in the days ahead.

As for Met Eireann-:rolleyes:They may mention chilly weather developing when the Snow has already arrived

Those charts are such a tease, model watching is almost an entirely different hobbie to being amauter weather men :D I love them :o hopefully early next week we'll start to see them in the T96 timeframe then we can look forward to the "what time will it snow in Limerick" and "you southeners don't know what real cold is like" posts :P :pac: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Those charts are such a tease, model watching is almost an entirely different hobbie to being amauter weather men :D I love them :o hopefully early next week we'll start to see them in the T96 timeframe then we can look forward to the "what time will it snow in Limerick" and "you southeners don't know what real cold is like" posts :P :pac: :cool:

Jerry, can I quote you on that? And will you have a definitive answer? (I am in Limerick ;))

And all the other related questions :D:D

Such as "The kids are snowed in, in school. Is it OK to leave them there for the weekend or should I collect them" :p:p

• Advertisement

forkassed wrote: »
    Ofcourse it was ramping-a reaction to charts that were showing cold weather.
    Is that a problem?
    The word 'problem' was in none of my posts sir only yours ;)
    Im just saying that you guys seemed pretty certain it was gona happen without anywords of caution.

As for F.I. I guess its fun to look at the charts but they are really nonsense really. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

redsunset wrote: »
    IF

Is just FI backways...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

that's to be expected from a northerly senor pangea. they usually last two-three days at best before the atlantic kills it off. the question is: will we get snow and sleet showers out of it? you might but the rest of us probably won't, because the flow will more than likely be slack when the real cold sets in.

also, if there is sustained cold coming met eireann will hold off delivering the bad(?) news until they are fully sure. in the same way they held off announcing the end of the cold weather earlier this month until they were fully sure. they would have seen what su campu saw, but obviously, unlike su campu, they are under the spotlight, so they couldn't afford to commit themselves straight away.

So really nobody knows about next week yet, let the northely come and bury me in snow , then get mild for a few days and then let the 'Big freeze return'
    and Hey Presto everyone is happy...
    oh except those who live up closer to the clouds than to the sea :P

So really nobody knows about next week yet,

Nobody knows, but the latest UKMO keeps us in no-mans-land up to mid week next week:

103725.gif

apart from an encouraging ridge build over Scandinavia, there is very little of interest in the chart above for Ireland.

just heard the radio forecast there. no mention of wintry showers until saturday, at that stage, he said there will be showers of sleet and snow in north and west but mainly over high ground. he also mentioned the showers will keep going in the same areas on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Look at the height rises to our north on latest ECM

Its just a typical irish night out there , mild wet and stormy .
    I hate it ,
    Bring on the cold weather , its so nice and peaceful compared to the mess out there at the moment.

Its just a typical irish night out there , mild wet and stormy .
    I hate it ,
    Bring on the cold weather , its so nice and peaceful compared to the mess out there at the moment.

it's messy out there because the cold air is doing it's best to send the mild air packing for the weekend and all you can do is complain as it tries its best for you. why does it even bother...p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I think most of us know, whats going to happen this weekend, then mild again from monday to Wendesday of next week its after that the real cold air might edge back

• Advertisement

Joe Bastardi:

THURSDAY NOON LONDON TIME

ACHTUNG! COLDEST JANUARY IN BERLIN SINCE THE '80S.

Looks like the wall of warm has fallen in Berlin... and now this is getting out of control. The current reading there of 8.6F below normal makes it the coldest January since at least the '80s.

And I don't see February much better.

Heck of a way to run a global meltdown.

Ciao for now. *****

WEDNESDAY NOON LONDON TIME

WINTER'S WORST HAS BEEN EAST AND SOUTH OF ENGLAND.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm folks have had for the cold of the winter, I am much more concerned with how the overall forecast has done. I was getting letters from folks in southeast Europe, and I had to remind them that the winter forecast was comparable to 2002-2003 with the core of the cold and that was to their north, just like it's to the southeast of England and east of France.

It has grown brutal in eastern Europe. Warsaw is within .2 of its temperature through this date in 2002-2003, Berlin is over 2F colder! In the west, it has been a colder winter overall... 2002-2003 on steroids is what this whole thing looks like, but when it is all said and done this would have been a cold winter for Europe from the Alps to the Ukraine and north, but the core was right where it was back in 2002-2003.

still no mention of major cold taking hold in England again. so i wouldn't get my hopes up despite what charts maybe showing.

Air pressure has been falling steadily here all day:

103742.jpg

but beginning to fall really strongly at the moment. Dropping at the rate of 0.1mb every 2 mins. Trough approaching, but just spits of drizzle presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

My pressure is at 1005.2 now.

mild cold mild cold.

theres the weather for the next 10days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It is breezy tonight as I type this... it is the last hurrah of the Atlantic for quite a while to come. To put it simply, the Atlantic has now run out of steam. As the LP dies out over Denmark after the weekend, it brings in a mildish westerly flow across Ireland and England. Pressure will rise from the NE during next week and by Thursday we will start the descent to cold once again.

This upcoming February has a stage set for cold and snow lovers. A typically quiet (weak) time of the year for the Atlantic in general, a will not say die Siberian High that wants to morph into a Scandy GH block, a bitter cold N European plain cold basin, Mid Winter Warming of the Arctic heights... what more could we wish for.

It is like a pincer movement on the mild air - not that any mild air near here is extravagant - no widespread breaches of 12c yet this January, we have a very cold ground, All the boxes are ticked and it can only mean cold and snow for the majority of February.

I am predicting that the cold will begin next Thursday, stay cold until after Valentines Day with the snow risk increasing towards mid-month. Then a few mild days before a snowy end to February, cold and showery till mid March before a pleasent welcome to Spring around or shortly after St Patricks Day. I hope I'm right.

it's messy out there because the cold air is doing it's best to send the mild air packing for the weekend and all you can do is complain as it tries its best for you. why does it even bother...p
    It will be worth it when it comes then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

so another roller coaster ticket goes in the bin :(
    have to say this has been the most depressingly dull winter so far(in meath anyway)no storms,very little snow most notable thing was the temp not rising above freezing level for 48 hours!!!!!
    have seen that most winters if you factor in freezing fog down here down by the boyne.
    as said already in this thread i've seen more snow in our usually mild winters.
    also don't see anything of much interest in the chart's,temps just don't look cold enough to me until way out into F.I.

serious ramping been going on :rolleyes: (keep it up)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Mixed signals continue, by no means would I rule out another significant cold spell around the second week of February. But it's not a sure thing either.

The strength of the projected high in northern Russia (above 1060 mbs) means that it can weaken somewhat and still make its presence felt a lot further west. And this is pretty much what the ECM and GFS hint at, around the 7th to 9th of February. But the Atlantic has at least woken up slightly, so the path is not quite as smooth as it was in early January.

There may be another snowfall event of some significance before the month of February is done, let's put it that way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some cold air moving south at the moment - sleet being reported at Aldergrove (Belfast) at 0920 at 2c. Sleet also reported at Isle of Man at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

just heard on Today fm its snowing in cooley peninsula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Just had a real taste of everything in a shower there - it started off as soft hail/graupel and soon turned into hail, sleet and wet snow :D

Advertisement