Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm not that big into apps, but I just installed one of the coolest apps ever onto my iPhone - it's called "DJay" and basically turns your phone/iPad into a DJ mixing device, with turntables, the works. I think it was only 79 cents.

I often found it annoying that there is no way in the normal iPod player to fade and overlap tracks into each other (like you'd hear your DJ doing). This App allows you do this.

It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know this is the Apps thread, but looking for a new case for my 4S, any suggestions?

Latest must have apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Super Monkey Ball 2 is free today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Streets of rage 2 is free today, plays quite well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

CombatCow wrote: »
    Streets of rage 2 is free today, plays quite well :)

Not free atm as far as I can see; still 2.39

• Advertisement

Must of just expired, I grabbed it at 8pm this evening.

From the makers of SLICE and PROTOTYPE 2 comes [PROTOSLICE], a puzzle game for iPhone. You need to carefully clear away the layers of very sharp Prototype-blades in order to push the P2 button without getting your fingers sliced! If you get sliced, you’ll ‘bleed’ onto the glass and the puzzle will reset. Try to figure out the specific patterns in which the blades move. Some of the puzzles have multiple blades that will require you to use multiple fingers to hold them each in place while moving other blades out of the way to get to the ever elusive P2-button.

Between levels you'll get sneak peak screenshots from Activision and Radical Entertainment's upcoming title: PROTOTYPE 2 which launches 04.24.2012.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/protoslice/id471418147?mt=8

Was €2.39, its free at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Don't know if someone else posted this already but shoot the birds is excellent. Very addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can anyone recommend a good cinema listings app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Tremelo wrote: »

Entertainment.ie

That what its called in the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Garage Band for the iPhone is a lot of fun and well worth the price at €3.99.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I miss this thread being stickied. Used to look at it everyday, now it falls down the list and doesn't get updated too regulary. I missed out on Jaws when it was free last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

^ I was wondering what had happened to this thread. I thought pretty much every app had been downloaded ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I miss this thread being stickied. Used to look at it everyday, now it falls down the list and doesn't get updated too regulary. I missed out on Jaws when it was free last week!
    +1 on sticky if possible

Ones I have:
    1. Flashlight - very cool, with a powerful light and good graphics/sound
    2. WhatsApp
    3. Viber - almost too good to be true
    4. EirText Pro
    5. Hotspots - a free Eircom app that provides free wifi access to Meteor customers
    6. BreakingNews.ie
    7. Entertainment.ie (Cinema! version) - all cinema listings
    8. Irish Weather
    9. Lottery.ie
    10. Gardai IE - finds local Garda stations and allows you to call them from within the app. Handy if you do a lot of driving
    11. AnPost.ie
    12. Irish Taxi - very good free app
    13. ATM Hunter (thinking of deleting this; it's not great)
    14. Pumps.ie
    15. GPS MotionX - records your satnav trails
    16. Satnav 2
    17. Plane Finder
    18. Scanner Pro - great portable scanner app.
    19. Road Weather - links to the NRA's weather stations indicating road conditions
    20. Planets
    21. IRT - Irish rail timetables, well worth the 79c.
    22. Exoplanet - a compendium of every discovered extrasolar planet, updated whenever a new one is found
    23. FilmOnTV

Pumps.ie

Last few times i downloaded that it wasnt working, how is it now?

Darksaga87 wrote: »

Works for me no problem since I installed it a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Darksaga87 wrote: »

I use pumps.ie regularly, and it's always been *partly* working. It often takes two attempts to find my location, and it has never stored my favourites, but it's still a useful app.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have always been on the look out for a good free converter app and just downloaded

Converter+

You can edit the conversions in each section to show your most used and I have to say it works great.
    (Distance, weight, currency etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 igas

I have an iphone 4 and bought Garmin UK & Ireland for it a few months ago. The maps on it are out of date - missing motorway sections etc. How do i update them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dades wrote: »
    Have always been on the look out for a good free converter app and just downloaded

Converter+

You can edit the conversions in each section to show your most used and I have to say it works great.
    (Distance, weight, currency etc.)

I use an app called MultiConvert

Very handy. HAs everything from Area to Density to Heat Flux to the stuff you might actually need like weight, distance etc

XE is also very good.

IMDB trivia is a great game for movie buffs. Great quiz.
    Movie cat is also a great quiz game.

Rope n' fly is a very addictive game, should be still free.
    Sceam 4 is also a decent game, sneak around killing people, its not bad. I also got this free.
    Lane Splitter is pretty fun.

Mashable - Keep up to date with everything in the tech world, (mainly apple)

Those are the latest ones I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

igas wrote: »
    I have an iphone 4 and bought Garmin UK & Ireland for it a few months ago. The maps on it are out of date - missing motorway sections etc. How do i update them?

I use NavFree which is excellent (& free!) - very up-to-date maps.

Also Onavo is excellent for reducing your data usage on 3G.

Dictionary.com is great if you're into crosswords etc. Has a Thesaurus aswell.

Vlingo also well worth a look (speech recognition & voice to text)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Tremelo wrote: »

Try Ireland's Cinema Times Tremelo. Also allows you to download the latest Movie Catalogue, and has latest & up-coming Movies & DVD info.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Starbase Orion - Basically a Masters of Orion clone.

Hunters HD - XCom clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Is Splashtop Desktop worth getting? It's top of the top 25 and available for €2.39 at the moment (iPad version), just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Is Splashtop Desktop worth getting? It's top of the top 25 and available for €2.39 at the moment (iPad version), just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

I have mobile mouse pro which looks very similar. It's €1.99 but there's a free version if you wanna check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yes it's worth it. I highly recommend it, it's one of my favourite apps. It's surprisingly handy as a remote because you can see what you're doing on the iPad screen rather than mouse apps where you have to see what you're doing on the PC display.great for times when you have the laptop hooked up to the tv and it isn't right beside you. It also allows you view and edit documents on your PC ,word and excel docs, if you aren't near the computer. You can check to see how downloads are doing and switch your PC off from the couch when they're done. The uses are endless really. It's quite a novelty to use windows as a touch screen too. It's very reliable,I've had no issues with it's use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Looking for an App that measures how far you have walked and at what speed... I have Nike + but that motion sensor takes ages to get going!!!

Advertisement