Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Dades wrote: »
    iOS 5 is coming soon and includes an official reminders/shopping list/to do list type app.

Was sorely lacking although there are a whole load of custom apps.

What about just adding event in the calendar as pointed out a few posts ago. It's repeatable, alerts when you want, just type the reminder in the event title or location field!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jarvis wrote: »
    What about just adding event in the calendar as pointed out a few posts ago. It's repeatable, alerts when you want, just type the reminder in the event title or location field!!!
    Too complicated - sorry! It's an iPhone - must involve less taps!

Also, plenty of people don't want their calender filled with reminders. If you use you calender for work stuff you don't need a weekly reminder to put the bins out or that Lidl has a special on knitting this Thursday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Too complicated - sorry! It's an iPhone - must involve less taps!

Also, plenty of people don't want their calender filled with reminders. If you use you calender for work stuff you don't need a weekly reminder to put the bins out or that Lidl has a special on knitting this Thursday. :)
    Wait for iOS5 then

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hewlett

Anyone know of a sports news or general news app that is mostly text based?

Apps like RTE News and Sky Sports Football Scrore Centre are excellent at what they do. However, because of the high quality pictures and graphics that they use, they can be unresponsive in areas with poor 3G coverage.

I may be wrong but I would imagine that apps that have a smaller graphical content would have less data to transfer and, therefore, would work better in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Wait for iOS5 then
    I guess you missed the post three above yours. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

That's grand for taking notes, but I'm looking for a to-do list. I want to be able to be make entries and check them off as I complete them. I use Evernote already and the desktop version does support to-do lists but not the iOS version.

I use mList, it gives you the option of scheduling a text message, phone call, email or a 'to-do' item. You check them off as they're done & there's alarms that you can put on snooze. AFAIK it's still free...just checked, yep, still free :)

I guess you missed the post three above yours. ;)
    What makes you think I missed it.
    i was posting in specific reference to it.

Either you get over the issue of the calender being full of reminders,
    or you wait for iOS5.

I don't get what the issue is with the calender being full. Its not like you'll go back to previous months very often for this to bother you.

That said, a check-box delete/delete all for reminders would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

anyone know of a chat app with video preferably free......i use ebuddy but it would be cool to have a video chat on there

Mellor wrote: »
    What makes you think I missed it.
    I let kraggy know that iOS 5 was bringing an app that would work much better as a personal reminder/alert/to do list type app than the calender - as some of us like to use the calender for work...

... and you suggest I get over the calender issue and wait for iOS 5? Obviously I'm aware and looking forward to iOS 5. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

jazoo wrote: »
    anyone know of a chat app with video preferably free......i use ebuddy but it would be cool to have a video chat on there

With the app tango (free) you can make videocalls. It's like FaceTime, but unlike FaceTime it also works without wifi (3G) and to non-iphones (they must also have tango app of course). It's a very similar app as viber with the addition of videocalls. I know it's probably not exactly what you were looking for but I don't know of any video-chat apps...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

jazoo wrote: »

Skype not what you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Think theres any chance of them changing the conversation view so that you can call the message sender more easily. I keep tapping the top of the screen to no avail. I think the facebook app should zoom back up too when you tap the top of the screen, instead of taking you to the menu view, if you scroll way down, its stuck there with nothing to do but scroll all the way back up :(

I let kraggy know that iOS 5 was bringing an app that would work much better as a personal reminder/alert/to do list type app than the calender - as some of us like to use the calender for work...

... and you suggest I get over the calender issue and wait for iOS 5? Obviously I'm aware and looking forward to iOS 5. :confused:
    I said OR not AND, reading every word is important otherwise it makes little sense.
    I don't understand how this is confusing you? It was a pretty simple post and i'm not disagreeing with any of your posts.

There are two options for the OP, get over the flaws in the calender and use it now, or wait for iOS5 as it has the new features you mentioned.

Edit: Semi-related note
    Any developers here with beta iOS5 access, is it much better? Worth upgrading? Say at the cost of JB?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Anybody else lose all their contacts in Skype with the latest update? Cause I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

muff03 wrote: »
    Anybody else lose all their contacts in Skype with the latest update? Cause I did.

Yup me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

muff03 wrote: »

I updated last night and didn't lose any contacts. When I opened Skype after the update an error message came up saying it wasn't supported but a modified iOS, but it then loaded my contacts fine and showed me as online etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planets/id305793334?mt=8

I love this free app. Activate the compass inside and just hold it up towards the night sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

'Alarmed' is a great reminder app,cant remember if its free or not,no more than 79c though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

biko wrote: »
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planets/id305793334?mt=8

I love this free app. Activate the compass inside and just hold it up towards the night sky.

If you like that, check out Star Walk. It's not free but well worth getting if you interested in learning about astronomy. You can tap on any star or satellite in the sky and get info about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

If you like that, check out Star Walk. It's not free but well worth getting if you interested in learning about astronomy. You can tap on any star or satellite in the sky and get info about it.
    SkyView is a good one too. there is a free version to try it out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Temple run and rocket bird are mad addictive and FREE. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I'm also looking for a list app, one where you can choose your own catagories (or edit the ones that are there) and must include a price option with a running total

Any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I was on a site today and tried to watchh a video and it wouldnt let me as I had no Adobe Flash player... is there an app or a way around this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

skyfire uploads the video to their server and streams it to your iphone, i think it was pulled from the appstore though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

guil wrote: »
    skyfire uploads the video to their server and streams it to your iphone, i think it was pulled from the appstore though

Skyfire Web browser is still available,its €2.39.Good web browser,have it set as my default web browser now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Any free apps?

Any good apps since ios5 came out????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Just to mention to anyone who doesn't know or has seen it, Whats App is free at the minute. Handy app for txts and picture msgs to anyone else who has the app. Works well from the other side of the world to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know any decent DVD/blu-ray release date app, can't find a good one at all???

Advertisement