Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I for one welcome the rain with open arms.

yeah i am beginning to think the same myself. we got our snow event yesterday which is unlikely to materialise again for a long while so i can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS has increased the intensity of the wind for tomorrow morning a bit, southwest coastal areas getting the strongest winds. No change in precipitation forecast really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

But about the BBC forecasting heavy snow for dublin? right? wrong? perhaps?

12Z GFS has increased the intensity of the wind for tomorrow morning a bit, southwest coastal areas getting the strongest winds. No change in precipitation forecast really.

what strength winds will there be and what time should we expect the rain? word earlier was that it will be very heavy rain per MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Here's another thanks from a lurker, who really appreciated both the good nature of the posters here and the accurate forecasting.

Having just had my car ambushed by a crowd of middle-class thugs here in Limerick, throwing stones embedded in snowballs and then jeering at me when I stopped my car, I too and relieved that we're coming to the end of this cold spell.

Any one know if there will be a long spell of warm sunny weather from the 23rd June? :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

what strength winds will there be and what time should we expect the rain? word earlier was that it will be very heavy rain per MT.

Road Safety Authority warning says up to 55mm of rain. The rain will probably start to move into the soutwest after midnight, strongest rain arriving after dawn and not clearing till after dark tomorrow. Gusts of 80-100kmph in southwest.

Road Safety Authority warning says up to 55mm of rain. The rain will probably start to move into the soutwest after midnight, strongest rain arriving after dawn and not clearing till after dark tomorrow. Gusts of 80-100kmph in southwest.

thanks Maq. that is a lot of rain - don't want floods after all the recent problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

thanks Maq. that is a lot of rain - don't want floods after all the recent problems.

silver linings :

1. it will clean/wash all the grit off the roads.. (hopefully not just deposit more !)
    2. people can stop driving at 15mph on perfectly fine roads just because the fields are white... !

its monday - im trying to be positive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

damoz wrote: »
    2. people can stop driving at 15mph on perfectly fine roads just because the fields are white... !

+1 - my biggest gripe of the cold spell. Slow traffic adding an extra 30 minutes each way to my daily commute :rolleyes:. Main roads have been treated people!

And as we got barely a dusting of snow during the entire 3 weeks, good riddance I say! Bring back the rain and the wind (but not too much) which we are well used to.

Hows the jet stream looking - so long as it stays well to the south, it should drag most of the Atlantic weather systems down there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I still think some will get a lot of snow tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Conor108 wrote: »
    But about the BBC forecasting heavy snow for Dublin? right? wrong? perhaps?
    No chance, those BBC forecasts are automated, very unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Min wrote: »
    I still think some will get a lot of snow tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

BBC still forecasting snow for tomorrow morn/afternoon through central/ Eastern parts

Ahh I see above - Automated -explains...... Thanks 200

jenzz wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

BBC still forecasting snow for tomorrow morn/afternoon through central/ Eastern parts

Ahh I see above - Automated -explains...... Thanks 200
    No problem. even tho I hope you do get snow, interesting weather ahead.

semb24.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

200motels wrote: »
    No chance, those BBC forecasts are automated, very unreliable.

Oh well, school it is so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

in the absence of the temp increase would heavy snow have been on the menu for most parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

homolumo wrote: »
    in the absence of the temp increase would heavy snow have been on the menu for most parts?

absolutely... but then again in the absence of rain we might have had a summer last year.

200motels wrote: »
    No problem. even tho I hope you do get snow, interesting weather ahead.

semb24.gif

Interesting weather?? - Go on - Expand - Make my day !!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bring on the rain, enough is enough I say!
    My boss didnt really believe me when i told him I still have a foot of snow when there is none down in coastal Dublin. Its snow joke anymore!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

jenzz wrote: »
    Interesting weather?? - Go on - Expand - Make my day !!!:D:D:D
    Well a lot of that will fall as snow initially, but will turn to rain quickly, but if you live high up or up north you'll get a lot of snow. But it will all eventually turn to rain as the milder air digs in. That's my opinion, I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Supercell wrote: »
    My boss didnt really believe me when i told him I still have a foot of snow when there is none down in coastal Dublin. Its snow joke anymore!

you must be good at your job that he keeps you on despite all the snow days!

• Advertisement

you must be good at your job that he keeps you on despite all the snow days!

I think this year was getting close to breaking point to be honest.
    I'm moving back to the city after the spring, for various reasons so today will be my last snow day unless we get more of this this winter and if thats forecast I think I better stay at my folks house in Sandycove in Dublin rather than risk the bosses ire!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

redsunset wrote: »
    Correct MT,tis shaping up very nicely,plenty of energy in it.

I could be wrong but something like this set up can potentially dump very large quantities of snow,simply because of intensity and as you say the warm air,cold air battleground scenario.

Very interesting indeed.

Indeed redsunset, I have a strong inclination that tomorrow may be a huge snow event for much of the country... that is not based on any qualifid analysis, just a gut feeling and past experience of big snow falls (I can't even blame the foxes I haven't seen any in days!).

snow ghost wrote: »
    Indeed redsunset, I have a strong inclination that tomorrow may be a huge snow event for much of the country... that is not based on any qualifid analysis, just a gut feeling and past experience of big snow falls (I can't even blame the foxes I haven't seen any in days!).

Unlikely with source air DP's of >4°C I hope! As long as any snow is confined to >250 metres or so I'll be relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Unlikely with source air DP's of >4°C I hope! As long as any snow is confined to >250 metres or so I'll be relieved.

We shall see supercell, we shall see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Although I love the snow and the cold, I for one hope it does rain tomorrow. You can only have so much fun! and I need to travel for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

yr.no's latest has me down for a cold, damp, windy day tomorrow with the possibility of sleety type stuff later:

meteogram.png

While in Cork, looks warmer, but certainly wetter! :eek:

meteogram.png

I reckon the midlands and North west may get some surprise heavy snow from this at least for some time. Any higher areas of the NW might have prolonged snow.
    The east a few miles inland is pretty much 100% snow cover and with cool winds blowing across that it may just be marginal enough to trun it at least temporarily to snow.I would be surprised to see any snow in east coastal counties, except pretty high up temporarily. Sally Gap etc of course will have snowmageddon again, god knows what depths are gonna be up there before the melt raises that high.

I think this year was getting close to breaking point to be honest.
    I'm moving back to the city after the spring, for various reasons so today will be my last snow day unless we get more of this this winter and if thats forecast I think I better stay at my folks house in Sandycove in Dublin rather than risk the bosses ire!

I would well believe it - The school is under 2 ft of snow.. Only local parents understand why its closed - Many other in south Dublin areas are having a fit thats its not open - despite the fact its impassible like lol

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

so your boss doesnt read the boards weather forum then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

THERE'S A STORM COMING!!!!!!!!

Zm51yQypsOlqa

Advertisement