Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

wind has really picked up here in Waterford, absolutely hate the wind as our house is open on all sides to it. wish it was mid morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

the wind sounds like a hurricane here.I think I wiil delay my drive to work til it gets a bit brighter.There has to be a lot of debris on the roads by nowSpot on foercast again MT well done and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Dublin East Coast. Wind steady and increasing. Occasional strong gust Lamposts on street all rocking steadily and can hear them rattling. Odd bits of debris flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

paddybar wrote: »
    the wind sounds like a hurricane here.I think I wiil delay my drive to work til it gets a bit brighter.There has to be a lot of debris on the roads by nowSpot on foercast again MT well done and thanks

Has been picking up in intesity all night. It's worsened a fair bit in Cork city over the past hour or two. Storm force definitely, from the sounds over the city a few older roof tiles may have gone missing, not sure though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

nesf wrote: »
    Has been picking up in intesity all night. It's worsened a fair bit in Cork city over the past hour or two. Storm force definitely, from the sounds over the city a few older roof tiles may have gone missing, not sure though. :)
    should be an interesting drive to work then.What part of the city are you in nesf?I'm working in Wilton and am dreading the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

National Forecast

12 January 2010 05:20

Today

Heavy rain in the southwest will gradually spread to the rest of the country during the morning and afternoon; the rain may turn to snow later this afternoon over the midlands and on the higher ground. Today will also be windy, with strong and gusty southeasterly winds. Highest tempratures generally 3 to 5C, but will be milder still in the far south.

70mph gust at Valentia and reporting heavy rain.

M6 buoy reporting 30ft waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Huge gust here in mayo has launched my garden furniture into the oil tank! Bucket containing ashes blown over along with the contents! Just been outside to tidy things up and hopefully hide the furniture from more rocket launching gusts. Not used to SE Gales here, usually everything comes from the SW/W.

Temp rising steadily, currently 3.4c. Ground still frozen solid, but all air snow has gone.

No sign of any percip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In Munster and nearby parts of Connacht and Leinster, I would say, discretion is the better part of valour, stay indoors if you can (the education minister is going to be feeling a lot better about his decision) because there are so many different weather-related hazards all unfolding at one time that I'm really concerned for safety in those counties, plus it won't get better for hours yet, and in the more inland portions it will get worse (especially when the rain starts melting the snow).

Once everyone's up and sees what's going on, this forum is going to go nucular to quote George W. Bush.

On the wind damage situation, I see numbers I was expecting but pretty close to high end and factoring in various things, would suggest an upgrade of the wind alert both here and on the public forecast, as there will be exposed areas with severe winds causing rollover hazards for high-sided vehicles (lorries and busses should probably stay in port), construction site damage, water overtopping wharves in places, and maybe even a runaway barge or something (just comparing it to other storms I've seen elsewhere), certainly a bit of port damage is possible with this blast coming at right angles to shore. Marathon platform shows that the winds are sustained at 60 mph at just a couple of hundred feet above the ground (sea, whatever).

It all depends on exposure in these conditions, but in these conditions the snow will melt very quickly too, the wind represents warm advection even if it feels like the arctic outside in the wind, temperatures are rising into the 4 to 6 C range fairly readily.

Anyway, here we go, I guess it's almost seven now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

wind has gone completely quiet now after that big gust 20mins or so ago!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind really picked up here, gusts touching gale force from the east (ESE). Temps and DPs actually dropping slowly. 3.3c DP 1.9c. I see that there is still some quite cold air over Wales....that makes me go hmmmmm (and start a secret snow watch!).

113kmph gust at Valentia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting time..

If you read the old Annals, eg the Four Masters, these "freak" weather events happened frequently. ( Modern texts are online)

Love the morning weather forecast for Ulster,,, that phrase "the last of the snow" makes my heart sing!

Assuming we will still be thawed on Monday? I need to get to eg the bank..

Although I haven;t exactly been spending money these last weeks..

Wild and windy up here; but well used to that. When I lived on a small island 80 mph was "normal" and one time there were gusts of 124 mph recorded. Imagine feeding the animals in that.. hanging on to the washing post.. You felt as if the skin was being sandpapered off your face.

It has left me with a horror of high winds that is taking time to fade.

Bathroom water is fine; kitchen off...

Moved the fridge to a different room y;day but still not working. The freezer is in there and has always been fine though.

So we walk on now!!

Stay safe out there; preferably in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Still windy here in Kerry..Stronger than earlier too

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Still windy here in Kerry..Stronger than earlier too

Winds should be peaking there soon. How is the rain?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Please don't all scream at once telling me 'this has no human input', etc. - I know and am looking at these sites for long enought and am well aware, but

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Dublin

is now forecasting heavy snow for Dublin later this evening as is xcweather. Both these were forecasting rain up until recently.

While really not expecting anything, I think today could be a really interesting day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Winds should be peaking there soon. How is the rain?

Still abit to dark to see but sounds fairly heavy..Not the nicest weather for getting a bus to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The Dublin forecast is a real poser, no doubt about it, won't surprise me if the precip kicks off as sleet with snowflakes mixed in, nothing much to stick, goes over to rain for quite a while, and ends up as wet snow, maybe a little of which would stick by evening. A little further north and inland, could be more of a continuous mix. Then you'd have to factor in elevation even south of Dublin. The model thickness projections are about the only real thing holding me back from hitting the snow panic button for Dublin, and even those get very marginal after 18z.

It could also hail during the rain to add another layer of intrigue.

I'm expecting heavy snow in Wales too, other than Pembrokeshire.

Anyone reading this north of a line from Dundalk to Athlone to Sligo should expect some snow almost for certain, I would say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I fell asleep during the Wolfe strange noise saga last night. How did it pan out????

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    I fell asleep during the Wolfe strange noise saga last night. How did it pan out????

abduction1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Lashing rain and very windy here in Mallow,snow disappearing fast.The wind is whistling through the letterbox,never heard that before:eek:

If the aliens have landed, ask them if they have any money...
    irish1967 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

The Dublin forecast is a real poser, no doubt about it, won't surprise me if the precip kicks off as sleet with snowflakes mixed in, nothing much to stick, goes over to rain for quite a while, and ends up as wet snow, maybe a little of which would stick by evening. A little further north and inland, could be more of a continuous mix. Then you'd have to factor in elevation even south of Dublin. The model thickness projections are about the only real thing holding me back from hitting the snow panic button for Dublin, and even those get very marginal after 18z.

It could also hail during the rain to add another layer of intrigue.

I'm expecting heavy snow in Wales too, other than Pembrokeshire.

Anyone reading this north of a line from Dundalk to Athlone to Sligo should expect some snow almost for certain, I would say that.

sandyford reporting 3.1C now and rising.:mad: lets hope this heavy rain drags down colder air, it would seem our only hope?

inabina wrote: »
    sandyford reporting 3.1C now and rising.:mad: lets hope this heavy rain drags down colder air, it would seem our only hope?

Dew points will be the key factor to look at today (for those looking for some snow). Temperatures will remain positive, but if the dew point is low enough, we could get the sneaky snow! My temperature here is 3.3c atm, but the dew point is 1.7c. Looking at dew points for the east Irish Sea, these are negative at the Isle of Man and Valley (in Wales).

HEALTH WARNING: Don't expect snow (but I'll be watching! ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

1.6c. Dp 2.0 wind 31mph ESE. Dry.
    To paraphrase that.... Ewwwwww, brrrrrr, yucky morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Sounds SO windy out there, I don't wanna go outside!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well the prefrontal wind is making itself known around these here parts. 22 mph 10 min mean and gusting well over 30mph. Amazing how mild it feels though with the current temp at 3.6c. This would be cold on an ordinary winter's day but how relative things become against the solid absolutes.

Still bitterly cold here; dreading taking the dogs out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

I swear to god guys I've been woken out of my sleep ...... by a strange noise. No kidding about. It's coming and going, sounds like screaching sometimes and really close to my house. Like it sounds like the a spaceship is trying to land in my garden but it doesnt fit so it's squeezing in lol. Sounds also like a car engine in the distance sometimes when it's not really loud like it's outside my house. It stayes for about 2 minutes then stops for about 1 minute. Jesus it's seriously freaky right now. Almost sounds like metal screatching off something sometimes. I'm a little freaked out tbh - all your talk of banshees Wolfe - made me jump up and go and wake my brother - he hears it too.

Of course I am too afraid to look out the window ...:confused: ... I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. (North Donegal)

Advertisement