Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

TV licence rules must be addressed, says Rabbitte
    BROADCASTING CHARGE: INEQUALITIES IN TV licence charges between large hotels and holiday caravans will have to be ironed out in the proposed broadcasting charge, Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte has said. He told the Dáil he did not believe there would be any decision on the new charge this year, particularly because of the need to successfully manage the transition from analogue to digital television...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0308/1224313004713.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

He told the Dáil he did not believe there would be any decision on the new charge this year, particularly because of the need to successfully manage the transition from analogue to digital television.

:confused: how are the two mutually exclusive ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »

:confused: how are the two mutually exclusive ?

The Department has a tiny number of staff working in the broadcasting division. Meaning that most of their work concerns, DSO/ASO, Legislation and work in relation to statuatory bodies such as RTÉ, TG4, ComReg and BAI. TV Licence will be on the back burn until they finish with DSO/ASO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

At the moment, I have one Sky box without the Irish channels and an LCD with MPEG2 DTT tuner. When analogue is switched off later this year, I will not have the capability to view RTE. Am I still expected to purchase a licence in this situation? I don't watch the channel anyway as it stands so don't want to be forking out money for something I don't use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

No, you cant see RTE, you don't have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The TV licence has NEVER been dependent on RTE Reception. It very nearly was introduced 5 to 7 years BEFORE RTE TV even started.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

highdef wrote: »
    At the moment, I have one Sky box without the Irish channels and an LCD with MPEG2 DTT tuner. When analogue is switched off later this year, I will not have the capability to view RTE. Am I still expected to purchase a licence in this situation? I don't watch the channel anyway as it stands so don't want to be forking out money for something I don't use.

Dept of Communications
    Q. Do I require a television Licence even though I am unable to receive RTÉ and other Irish regulated broadcasts?

A. Yes. The position is that once you are in possession of a television set capable of receiving television broadcasts, you are required to have a television licence. Effectively, it is the set that is licensed, not the ability to receive television broadcasts.

So although I would not be capable to view RTÉ, I would still need a licence for it in order to fund the company??? Makes no sense at all whatsoever

That's like saying that although I do not have a dog, I'm legally obliged to purchase a dog licence because it's possible that I "could" have a dog! Or maybe something like.....I don't drive a car and never intend to but I am still legally obliged to purchase one because I am capable of driving a car.

I do drive though and I do have a drivers licence :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RTÉ aren't the only people to get money from the television licence. They get the vast majority of it but not all.

Your analogy makes no sense. You have a television so you pay for the television licence. It's not the RTÉ licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

"'apparatus for wireless telegraphy' means apparatus capable of emitting and receiving, or emitting only or receiving only, over paths which are not provided by any material substance constructed or arranged for that purpose, electric, magnetic or electro-magnetic energy, of a frequency not exceeding 3 million megahertz,

hmmm - you only need a license if u recieve via antenna.

receiving only over paths which are not provided by any material substance constructed or arranged for that purpose.

if your connected via cable company, then you are not recieving over a path of no substance!!

A frequency not exceeding 3 million megahertz - I presume this is an error and should be 3 mega hertz?? not 3 million mega hertz - 3,000,000 Hz not 3,000,000,000,000 Hz? if you watch via satellite dish, rte's frequency is approx 12GHz - Ku band which is subsequently converted to 1-2GHz for L-Band into the reciever!!

Your television can receive signals, even if you are only using it for cable connections.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So although I would not be capable to view RTÉ, I would still need a licence for it in order to fund the company??? Makes no sense at all whatsoever

It is a tax, and has been devised, not to make sense, but to raise revenue.

If you have a problem with it, then form a political party, get enough people to support you to get the law changed. I'd give you two chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's very unlikely that you won't be able to avail of Saorview reception if you're able to get analogue reception at the moment. It can function on a much weaker signal. If by some freak, you can't pick up DTT, there's Saorsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Irish Folly

TV License is such an unfair system http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIrishFolly/feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

TV License is such an unfair system http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIrishFolly/feed

I actually wasted almost 2min of my life to watch that rubbish. Do us a favour and inform yourself before making your next video.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ye know the rule. ALL TV Licencing discussion goes in the Stickey.

If you think the TV Licence as it exists is unfair now, if it morphs into the proposed broadcasting charge, then you'll have to pay whether you own a TV or not.

Apologies for somehow not seeing the Sticky, Mod!!! I had always assumed that 100% of the licence fee went to RTE, the state broadcaster. However, I have read up a bit more and it appears that not all of it goes to RTE although the vast majority does.

From Wikipedia:
    "The licence fee does not entirely go to RTÉ. After collection costs, 5% is used for the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland's "Sound and Vision Scheme", which provides a fund for programme production and restoration of archive material which is open to applications from any quarters. 5% of what RTÉ then receive is granted to TG4, as well as a requirement to provide them with programming. The remainder of TG4's funding is direct state grants and commercial income."

Yes, it seems rather unfair for my situation anyway but as I see some of the money goes to what seems like a good place. I admit it would be completely unworkable to have an option to just pay a 5% fee to fund the Sound and Vision Scheme so I'm not so peeved now about paying my licence fee. Not delighted either though :p

Yes, it seems rather unfair for my situation anyway but as I see some of the money goes to what seems like a good place. I admit it would be completely unworkable to have an option to just pay a 5% fee to fund the Sound and Vision Scheme so I'm not so peeved now about paying my licence fee. Not delighted either though :p

So you have no problem with such money going to Setanta? But you have a problem with money going to TG4?

Look the licence fee is used to make programming, some of it you will like, other parts you will dislike. The licence fee is low and is spread across many, many genres.

It doesn't just go on TV, it provides money to Radio (directly to RTÉ and the Sound and Vision Fund), the wiki you quote also fails to mention the NSO and other performing groups which receive their funding from the licence fee. It fails to mention them in fairness to wiki because they are part of RTÉ.

I do think RTÉ and TG4 has to be restructured, but for such services you will still have to have some kind of licence fee. Weather you watch such services or not.

What do you think the Licence fee should be used for?

• Advertisement

What I meant was that the vast majority of the licence I pay goes to something I don't use but as with most taxes, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I was delighted to read that the fee does go to other organisations, I just didn't go listing them all in my last message. Incidentally, I'm quite happy that some of the fee goes to TG4.....one of Irelands success stories and a more or less independent company with some innovative and unique programming. And I did not mention that I have a problem with money going to TG4. My original query was about all of the fee going to RTÉ, which I had a problem with as it's a service I do not use but as I mentioned in a earlier post, I have educated myself and now know that that is not true.

Also, I mentioned nothing about Setanta. I've a feeling that you are using Setanta as an example but it's stated in such a way to suggest that I would like some of the fee to go to them. Off topic but I don't watch Setanta at all ;)

Also, I mentioned nothing about Setanta. I've a feeling that you are using Setanta as an example but it's stated in such a way to suggest that I would like some of the fee to go to them. Off topic but I don't watch Setanta at all ;)

Setanta have been successful Broadcaster partners on many independently produced sound and vision fund productions.

OK, that's all good news then. Is still don't have a problem with licence fee going to them though. The more Irish channels that get it, the better!

OK, that's all good news then. Is still don't have a problem with licence fee going to them though. The more Irish channels that get it, the better!

Whatever about not watching them, but do you even have access to their broadcasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Elmo wrote: »
    Your television can receive signals, even if you are only using it for cable connections.

hmm, I agree, current sets can recieve both over the air and terrestrial - but what about a television with a dvb-c tuner only..

It can only recieve signals from cable - not electromagnetic airwaves - would it therefore be covered under the act...

Does a sky box connected to a monitor via vga remove the need for a tv license?

hmm, I agree, current sets can recieve both over the air and terrestrial - but what about a television with a dvb-c tuner only..

It can only recieve signals from cable - not electromagnetic airwaves - would it therefore be covered under the act...

Does a sky box connected to a monitor via vga remove the need for a tv license?

Both are considered tuners, the Sky box and the DVB-C Tuner. The only way to avoid the Licence fee is to remove all such devices from the home.

I always go back to what snotser suggested on the Den :)

Snotser: I have a got a VCR
    Ray: But you don't have a TV
    Snotser: Yeeee, when I get a chance to buy a TV then I will watch all the shows I have missed.

Snotser was still required to have a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

hi, i have a question
    i own a monitor, not a tv monitor, just a monitor, theres no tv cable input and it doesnt have a remote or a tv scan or what so ever, also i do not own any dvd cd or anything that can play cd/dvd.. my monitor connected to mac mini latest gen, that doesn't have cd/dvd drive in it.. i do not own any radio devices, will i still need to pay for tv license?

lisij wrote: »
    hi, i have a question
    i own a monitor, not a tv monitor, just a monitor, theres no tv cable input and it doesnt have a remote or a tv scan or what so ever, also i do not own any dvd cd or anything that can play cd/dvd.. my monitor connected to mac mini latest gen, that doesn't have cd/dvd drive in it.. i do not own any radio devices, will i still need to pay for tv license?

No you do not need to pay for a TV Licence.

Even if you had a cable coming in for any type of TV service you would not need a TV Licence. They can't charge you for an outdoor aerial, satellite or cable connection when you don't a the capability of receiving the signal.

You are not required to have a TV licence for DVD/CD Players unless fitted with a TV tuner (You only need one licence per household in most cases DVD players are connected to a TV).

You do not need a TV licence for a Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

Elmo wrote: »
    No you do not need to pay for a TV Licence.

Even if you had a cable coming in for any type of TV service you would not need a TV Licence. They can't charge you for an outdoor aerial, satellite or cable connection when you don't a the capability of receiving the signal.

You are not required to have a TV licence for DVD/CD Players unless fitted with a TV tuner (You only need one licence per household in most cases DVD players are connected to a TV).

You do not need a TV licence for a Radio.
    reason i asked about dvd, cause i rang my tv license office, and they asked can you connect dvd to your monitor, i said yes but i do not own any, they said that they call me back
    oh yes one more thing, i own a AV amplifier that has a radio built in, would that be the case, and i want to buy a projector also, as far as i know it also dosnt have any TV signal built in or any satellite cable input

• Advertisement

lisij wrote: »
    reason i asked about dvd, cause i rang my tv license office, and they asked can you connect dvd to your monitor, i said yes but i do not own any, they said that they call me back
    oh yes one more thing, i own a AV amplifier that has a radio built in, would that be the case, and i want to buy a projector also, as far as i know it also dosnt have any TV signal built in or any satellite cable input

AFAIK and others might help with this.

The licence only covers the tuner that exists in a VCR, PVR, STB, TV and other such devices regardless of if that device is capable of receiving over the air signals. E.g. if you have a UPC or Sky Box connect up to a monitor your still liable for the licence fee.

You do not need a Licence for Radio.

Advertisement