Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not spend it on Cocaine.

No offence but that is low. Drug abuse isn't just occurring in the national broadcaster.

Outline what the BAI would do with the licence fee if they received it?

Elmo wrote: »

No.

The Cocaine comment was a joke by the way so dont take it so hard.

No.

Ok!
    The Cocaine comment was a joke by the way so dont take it so hard.

Well I am glad that you took no offence to my post :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 amod

Hi,
    I am planning to get rid of TV in the house. :-)
    Internet keeps me updated and I have not watched anything on TV for about 1 month now.

But I was told by AnPost, there is no refund on the licence.

I have good 10 months left on the licence.

What can i do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 YourNameForMe

I'm not sure you can do anything. However, when the 10 months are up make sure there is no receiving equipment (e.g an antenna or satellite dish) in/on your house or else you'll still have to pay. I got caught for that, I was going to get rid of my TV when the license guy came a knocking but he said I'd still have to pay even if I got rid of the TV because there is an antenna on the apartment where I live.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    No offence but that is low. Drug abuse isn't just occurring in the national broadcaster.

Not all drug users are abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

amod wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am planning to get rid of TV in the house. :-)
    Internet keeps me updated and I have not watched anything on TV for about 1 month now.

But I was told by AnPost, there is no refund on the licence.

I have good 10 months left on the licence.

What can i do ?
    Do you want a refund for the tv aswell then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I'm not sure you can do anything. However, when the 10 months are up make sure there is no receiving equipment (e.g an antenna or satellite dish) in/on your house or else you'll still have to pay. I got caught for that, I was going to get rid of my TV when the license guy came a knocking but he said I'd still have to pay even if I got rid of the TV because there is an antenna on the apartment where I live.

The licence guy was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

I got a letter "Our TV License Inspector was unable to gain attention". It is indicated that a TV set/Aerial/satellite dish was observed. I've no TV set but I rent an apartment (small 2 apartment block) where the previous tenant installed a dish. I never removed it (dish located too high and I am not even sure I am allowed to remove it by landlord). Do I have to pay that license because of the dish? There are contradicting mentions on the thread - anyone got a link to official sources?

Cilar wrote: »
    I got a letter "Our TV License Inspector was unable to gain attention". It is indicated that a TV set/Aerial/satellite dish was observed. I've no TV set but I rent an apartment (small 2 apartment block) where the previous tenant installed a dish. I never removed it (dish located too high and I am not even sure I am allowed to remove it by landlord). Do I have to pay that license because of the dish? There are contradicting mentions on the thread - anyone got a link to official sources?

Ask your landlord if you can remove the dish. If you receive internet via satellite do you have to pay a TV licence? Or is it just a licence for the receiver? i.e. STB, iDTV etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Either way keep the letter at "the householder", as long as the inspector does not have a name he is at a stop as you cannot prosecute "the householder".

I do know that when you move residency with Sky they leave the dish in the hope that it will be useful for their installer some day. Is the LNB attached to it?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The licence guy was wrong!

I looked it up on their website and it was in the letter he gave me. It clearly said that if you have no TV but do have television receiving equipment, you still have to pay the license fee.

Cilar wrote: »

Did he leave a letter explaining the TV license system? I got the same note saying that "a TV set/Aerial/satellite dish was observed" but I also got a leaflet explaining when you have to pay. It clearly says that if you have television receiving equipment, you have to pay. Get rid of the dish = don't pay the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Get rid of the dish = don't pay the fee.

The poster has already given two reasons why they cannot get rid of the dish.

It does raise an interesting legal point though (assuming one is legally obliged to have a licence for an aerial/dish which is a pretty questionable assertion in itself)

Given that the onus of having a TV licence is on the person in possession of the receiving equipment who in this case is actually in possession of the dish in question ?

The poster or their landlord ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Get rid of the dish = don't pay the fee.

The poster has already given two reasons why they cannot get rid of the dish.

It does raise an interesting legal point though (assuming one is legally obliged to have a licence for an aerial/dish which is a pretty questionable assertion in itself)

Given that the onus of having a TV licence is on the person in possession of the receiving equipment who in this case is actually in possession of the dish in question ?

The poster or their landlord ?

If the landlord is unwilling to remove it i think it is the landlords prob the tenant should put the licence in there landlords name.

I looked it up on their website and it was in the letter he gave me. It clearly said that if you have no TV but do have television receiving equipment, you still have to pay the license fee.

You don't need a licence for an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bannerman34

]
    I recently purchased a DAB radio and find when im at home if it is not above a certain height it simply will not work and in work in a corrugated metal building DAB fails entirely maghera transmitter any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Groinshot wrote: »
    Do you want a refund for the tv aswell then??

[ ] Same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

have the requirements for a tv licence changed recently?

if i have a DSL connection , and flat panel monitors with computers on premises, do i need a tv licence?

cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged.

• Advertisement

LH2011 wrote: »
    have the requirements for a tv licence changed recently?

if i have a DSL connection , and flat panel monitors with computers on premises, do i need a tv licence?

cheers

If the monitors have the ability to receive TV signals then you need a licence on your premises however if they are purely computer monitors then you do not need a TV licence. No change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Where does that leave the ability to view live streamed video content such as the RTE live streams and TG4 Beo? Here in the UK the law is specific - if you use your computer to view live video streams you must pay a TV licence.

rlogue wrote: »
    Here in the UK the law is specific - if you use your computer to view live video streams you must pay a TV licence.

How can they prove your watching or not watching live streams??

rlogue wrote: »
    Where does that leave the ability to view live streamed video content such as the RTE live streams and TG4 Beo? Here in the UK the law is specific - if you use your computer to view live video streams you must pay a TV licence.

The Minister was interviewed on Todays FMs The Last Word about 2 or 3 years ago. The law regarding mobile devices and internet viewing was drafted but not enacted into the bill.
    From the Broadcasting Act 2009
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2009/a1809.pdf

Part 9, section 140
    “television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general
    reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on
    the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or
    assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

A bit ambiguous maybe.
    I understand "general reception" means reception by conventional radio waves.
    Since the new draft exists, it's only a matter of time for internet etc to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Berks

Hey guys, I had a quick look through this thread but couldn't find anything related to this:

I recently moved into a flat, it has a UPC box but I am not signed up to it. I do not have a TV or any means of receiving signal (use laptop). Am I correct in saying that because UPC is based on Fibre and I dont use it, this doesnt count as a means to recieve a tv signal?

Also I am very confused as to how exactly the license inspector knows if you have a TV or not if you just say "nope", anyone know if they have the right to "search" the property or something like that? I would assume not without a warrent or the like.

Lastly, the letter I recieved says "to 'the occupant', please reply to this letter if you hold a TV license or do not have a tv etc etc blah blah blah" ...any reason I should/ should'nt reply to this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Do not know about the upc signal situation.

However any letter addressed to "the occupant" just bin it and sleep well, they have to prosecute real people.

What will happen is an inspector will eventually turn up after several binning of "the occupant" letter unless you live in a rough area. However if you work during the day and do not have regular visitors you can screen callers and just not answer the door during week days.

Basically a Garda summons is the only way of nabbing you (after they confirm a resident name), provided you ignore the occupant letters and registered letters.

At least that is my non legal training opinion so you decide as you see fit. A lot depends on how long you are staying in the accommodation and type (apartment or house), area.

Thanks andrewdeerpark thats pretty much what I figured.

The UPC box it receives a TV signal, regardless of if you have a TV or not. Send the UPC box back to UPC.

AFAIK UPC use coaxial cable to provide TV, not sure how their fiber works????

When I say UPC box I mean the thingy on the wall which allows connection to a TV box or whatever. I dont have the tv box but just because I COULD get it does this mean I have to pay? Sounds a bit silly to me but..well the whole thing is a bit ridiculous

• Advertisement

Berks wrote: »
    When I say UPC box I mean the thingy on the wall which allows connection to a TV box or whatever. I dont have the tv box but just because I COULD get it does this mean I have to pay? Sounds a bit silly to me but..well the whole thing is a bit ridiculous

I would have thought No TBH, as it would be like making everyone pay as everyone has access to over the air signals.

But then if you are using UPC to gain access to other communication types does that mean you should pay a TV licence since you have the ability to gain access to UPC TV service!

I think the licence is based on the tuning device rather than the aerial, cable or satellite. ?????

Advertisement