Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

cormicar wrote: »
    Sorry - it may be a few years old(I think it's from 2008) but just checked Pat Kenny's salary and it's €950,976 at the moment.

Sorry but that's innaccurate as Kenny did see a fair chunk of his salary disappear over the last couple of years. He managed to save face to a certain extent as he left the Late Late and that could be reconciled with a reduction in salary. Its still a massive sum, reportedly around e650,000, and if he thought any other station/channel here or in the UK could match or beat that amount then he is very mistaken!

Regarding Tubridy, he has seen a rise in his pay packet as new host of the Late Late - somewhere in the region of e550,000. Again a massive sum he'll likely see a 10% cut to take it under the half a million.

As for Marian Finucane, maybe someone else could explain how she earns that amount of money for two shows a week, because frankly I don't have a clue! Even if she prepared the shows during the week in RTE it doesn't warrant that salary for the amount of on-air time. I don't know.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This forum is for discussing TV shows, so I'm moving this to the Broadcasting forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

cormicar wrote: »
    Sorry - it may be a few years old(I think it's from 2008) but just checked Pat Kenny's salary and it's €950,976 at the moment. I'd say the other salaries have similarly increased apart from Gerry Ryan's of course.

Can you provide a source for that please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jms007

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if RTE pays sky to be on their Satellite system or does Sky pay RTE to have them on their sky system? If Sky does pay RTE and we pay sky a subscription/month then surely we shouldn't be paying seperately for the TV license fee also of 160 Euro?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sky pays for RTÉ to be on the Sky platform but they don't actually pay RTÉ. Sky pays for EPG, encryption etc.

Even if Sky were paying RTÉ it wouldn't matter as it is a television licence entitles you to own a television, not to receive RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged with the general licence fee thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky pays for RTÉ to be on the Sky platform but they don't actually pay RTÉ. Sky pays for EPG, encryption etc.

Even if Sky were paying RTÉ it wouldn't matter as it is a television licence entitles you to own a television, not to receive RTÉ

Sky do not pay RTÉ, TV3 or TG4 to be on Sky. Sky customers pay a massive subscription and Sky agree to provide RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to be on the Sky platform. Sky on the other hand pay for most other channels to be on their Irish platform. I assume they also pay BBC, ITV and Channel 4 to let those channels on their UK EPG.

Even indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume they also pay BBC, ITV and Channel 4 to let those channels on their UK EPG.

The UK channels pay Sky to get onto the UK EPG.

Apogee wrote: »
    The UK channels pay Sky to get onto the UK EPG.

Indeed - neither the BBC nor ITV is part of the Sky Digital package in the UK and so the organisations have to pay for an EPG listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

i got a reminder titled 'legal notice' whats the next step. anybody been through this before. Havent paid yet as might be moving house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Treenieweenie

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody knows how I can report someone for not having a TV licence. While it may seem mean to some of you, these people truly deserve it.

These were my former housemates who bullied me out of the house and then once I left, forced me to pay all of the ESB bill because it had been in my name. I just want to seek some revenge for the costs I had to pay which has left me to live on peanuts for the month and now I've gotten an illness due to poor diet because I have to live on whatever is in my cupboard, leaving me with medical/prescription bills also.

I know they don't have a licence so a fine for them would be good. They shouldn't get away with what they have don to me.

Any advice would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

So you were happy not paying the license when you lived with your housemates... I think it might be more appropriate to take a case against them in the small claims court of something to get them to pay their portion of the ESB bill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Treenieweenie

Well the TV didn't belong to me and I only lived with them for a couple of months. Plus I didn't even watch it because of the atmosphere so why would I pay anything? I shall look into the small claims court but I'm guessing that it would be an extra expense on me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't use the SCC against a person or persons, only a business.

I suspect if you phone An Post TVL they'll be able to handle the shopping. 1890 228528.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Grassing on someone and at the same time swelling Ryan Tubridys wallet.
    Yes indeed, abundant karma is winging its way to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Does anybody know how the TV license requirement will be affected by the switch to digital? Will one still have to pay for a TV with an analog tuner once the analogue television signals will stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. No change, Your Analogue only TV will need a licence.
    Because €40 to €80 buys a box to convert your TV you can easily hide.

One licence covers any number of TVs per dwelling. A Bed sit with no kitchen is not a separate dwelling. A Bedsit with a kitchen is a separate dwelling.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011

Merged. I am seriously going to start just closing threads if people keep ignoring what is the very first thread at the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

qwertz wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the TV license requirement will be affected by the switch to digital? Will one still have to pay for a TV with an analog tuner once the analogue television signals will stop?

From the Saorview FAQ
    Is a Television Licence required if I change to SAORVIEW?

Yes a television licence is still required. Every household, business or institution that has a television set, regardless of television service – free or Pay TV – must have an up to date TV licence.

http://www.saorview.ie/help/faqs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

qwertz wrote: »
    Will one still have to pay for a TV with an analog tuner once the analogue television signals will stop?

Unless the law is changed yes you will

Stupid as it sounds you legally should have a licence for a 405 line only TV as it is still capable of recieving 405 line broadcasts.

The fact that no such broadcasts have been made since 1985 is completly besides the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can buy an adaptor called an Aurora. Off the shelf. You can then connect the 405 TV to Sky or UPC or Saorview box.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Unless the law is changed yes you will

Stupid as it sounds you legally should have a licence for a 405 line only TV as it is still capable of recieving 405 line broadcasts.

The fact that no such broadcasts have been made since 1985 is completly besides the point.

You need a licence for a TV even if it is broken and not capable of receiving broadcasts.

You do not need a licence for a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

RT&#201 wrote: »
    Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte has said that he is considering a new broadcasting charge to replace the television licence fee.

The Minister for Communications has confirmed that he is considering a new broadcasting charge to replace the television licence fee.

Pat Rabbitte told the Dáil that this would not be an additional charge and would not affect anyone who was already paying their licence fee.

He agreed with Fianna Fáil's Eamon Ó Cuív that the current funding model was not sustainable in the long run.

Mr Rabbitte said this was partly because of technological change, which meant fewer people were watching on traditional television sets, and partly because of evasion, which he said was costing RTÉ €25m a year, with around 15% not paying.

Minister Rabbitte said a working group in his Department had concluded that a household broadcasting charge "is a viable model".

He said that discussions had taken place with the Department of the Environment about accessing a database of households.

He said it was mainly younger people who were using other devices to access broadcasting.

Mr Rabbitte added that he and the Ceann Comhairle used televisions, and he suspected Mr Ó Cuív was the same, adding that he thought Mr Ó Cuív "has upscaled from black and white".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/television.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Another tax by any other means:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Extortion.
    Tony soprano would be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fedup Taxpayer

Why is the solution to every financial problem in this country "make somone else pay" RTE is a cosy club for all those who inhabit Montrose .Old farts peddled out to front programs now that their big fat salaries have disappeared into thin air through their own mismanagement Get rid of these selfserving self important talentless numpties and replace them with the young fresh men and woman who will never get a break in this country because there not members of the inner circle:mad:

watty wrote: »
    You can buy an adaptor called an Aurora. Off the shelf. You can then connect the 405 TV to Sky or UPC or Saorview box.

Prior to the existence of this device but after the termination of 405 line broadcasting one still needed a license in Ireland for a working 405 line only set.
    You need a licence for a TV even if it is broken and not capable of receiving broadcasts.

Already discussed

No you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Already discussed :rolleyes:

No you dont

You must not believe everything you read in the internet !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Mike 1972 wrote: »

You must not believe everything you read in the internet !

I don't :rolleyes:

I've been aware of this fact since before any of us had the internet.

Advertisement