Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

I remember in 2007 in Dublin 3 we didn't have a tv licence. When inspector arrived we didn't open a door. And I don't know how come but in around 15 minutes Garda with the same inspector called in. So we had to open the door. Gardai were very fast in finding a tv upstairs. Nobody wanted to lie the names or not provide officers with document so my friend had to go to court for not paying the fee. After that I pay my licence...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/05/02/00019.asp

Pat Rabbitte was doing his bit to avoid some other controversy a few months ago and put this suggestion out, it blew up in his face IMO. More bloody consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

arcius wrote: »
    I remember in 2007 in Dublin 3 we didn't have a tv licence. When inspector arrived we didn't open a door. And I don't know how come but in around 15 minutes Garda with the same inspector called in. So we had to open the door. Gardai were very fast in finding a tv upstairs. Nobody wanted to lie the names or not provide officers with document so my friend had to go to court for not paying the fee. After that I pay my licence...

I doubt he obtained a search warrant in 15 minutes, you should have told the Garda to clear off, he had no right to enter your home without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

arcius wrote: »
    As Atlantic Dawn points out above, you 'invited' the Gardaí to enter your home. Without the presence of a warrant you could simply have politely declined. It's a legal subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

will know next time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

We use a projector, watch dvds, US netflix and HULU via the xbox.. Seeing as there is no device in the house with a tuner does that mean I don't need a tv licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

unklerosco wrote: »
    We use a projector, watch dvds, US netflix and HULU via the xbox.. Seeing as there is no device in the house with a tuner does that mean I don't need a tv licence?

No you dont, As long as the projector doesn't contain a tv tuner you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you add a Magnet TV over Fibre box, or UPC box you need a TV licence, DTT stick or Satellite card or if you get a Broadcast quality live IPTV on the Xbox you need a TV licence.

Otherwise you are fine without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

watty wrote: »
    if you get a Broadcast quality live IPTV on the Xbox you need a TV licence.

What qualifies as broadcast quality? Say I had a pc hooked up to the projector and was able to watch rte player would that count? Just curious as to how it all works..

I'll need to get a licence eventually as I plan to get freesat in the house at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE Player is nothing like Broadcast quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

What qualifies as broadcast quality? Say I had a pc hooked up to the projector and was able to watch rte player would that count? Just curious as to how it all works..

I'll need to get a licence eventually as I plan to get freesat in the house at some stage...
    You dont need one now but you will when they introduce the new "entertainment license"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Guys, we have one thread and one thread only on the TV licence, OK. Merged threads.

It should be said that should tentative plans by the government get the nod, the TV licence may be replaced by a "Broadcasting Charge" which every household would have to pay. There'd be no escape. Kind of unfair (since it'd essentially be a poll tax, like the household charge) but you have to admit that there are very, very, few people in the country who do not view or listen to at least one RTÉ service some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

icdg wrote: »
    Guys, we have one thread and one thread only on the TV licence, OK. Merged threads.

It should be said that should tentative plans by the government get the nod, the TV licence may be replaced by a "Broadcasting Charge" which every household would have to pay. There'd be no escape. Kind of unfair (since it'd essentially be a poll tax, like the household charge) but you have to admit that there are very, very, few people in the country who do not view or listen to at least one RTÉ service some of the time.

That is very true about RTE and most people in the country, but to be honest with you, I am one of those people. We don't have any tv reception in the house and I never listen to the radio, but I still had to pay my €160 a few weeks ago for that fecking tv licence, that's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

I guess i am among those few people, who dont watch rte, listen to radio, and not even owning any tv or tv adaptors/tuners :) oh, i do own a pc, projector, ipad iphone and i do not pay for tv license :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

lisij wrote: »
    I guess i am those few people, who dont watch rte, listen to radio, and not even owning any tv or tv adaptors/tuners :) oh, i do own a pc, projector ipad iphone and i do not pay for tv license :)

That's the proper way to do it alright, pity it won't be enough though after they bring out this new "broadcasting charge" or whatever it's going to be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

Recon wrote: »
    That's the proper way to do it alright, pity it won't be enough though after they bring out this new "broadcasting charge" or whatever it's going to be called.
    but thats is BS, why would i have to pay for something i dont use

RTÉ doesn't just provide radio and TV and the licence fee doesn't just go towards RTÉ.

€14.8 m = Performing Groups
    €8.8 m = TG4 (Due to increase)
    ~€14 m = BAI (Sound and Vision Fund, Due to Increase)
    ~€10 = An Post (Collection Costs)
    €10 = RnaG
    ___
    €58m = ~ 25% of the licence fee

That is not to mention investment into DAB and DTT, something independent broadcaster have been slow to invest in.

These are reasons why the government are looking into a new "Broadcasting" Levy IMO it should really be call Culture/Arts/Content Funding Levy.

As I have said I would like to see a break up of RTÉ with a new commercial semi-state broadcaster being made up of RTÉ 2, 2FM, 2XM and Pulse with no licence fee given to them. RTÉ retaining RTÉ 1, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ R1, R1Extra, Lyric, Choice and Gold. With TnaG being giving the responsibilities of Irish Language, Children's Programming and Film (TG4, RTÉjr, Cula4, IFB Channel, RnaG, Radio RiRa, RTÉ Radio Jr). Performing Groups being removed from RTÉ and their HQ at Montrose becoming the National Broadcasting Studio and Network Headquarters.

RTÉ and TnaG would get ~85% of the licence fee between them.

Also the minister has stated that the Licence fee would reduce depending on the collection method.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ doesn't just provide radio and TV and the licence fee doesn't just go towards RTÉ.

€14.8 m = Performing Groups
    €8.8 m = TG4 (Due to increase)
    ~€14 m = BAI (Sound and Vision Fund, Due to Increase)
    ~€10 = An Post (Collection Costs)
    €10 = RnaG
    ___
    €58m = ~ 25% of the licence fee

That is not to mention investment into DAB and DTT, something independent broadcaster have been slow to invest in.

These are reasons why the government are looking into a new "Broadcasting" Levy IMO it should really be call Culture/Arts/Content Funding Levy.

As I have said I would like to see a break up of RTÉ with a new commercial semi-state broadcaster being made up of RTÉ 2, 2FM, 2XM and Pulse with no licence fee given to them. RTÉ retaining RTÉ 1, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ R1, R1Extra, Lyric, Choice and Gold. With TnaG being giving the responsibilities of Irish Language, Children's Programming and Film (TG4, RTÉjr, Cula4, IFB Channel, RnaG, Radio RiRa, RTÉ Radio Jr). Performing Groups being removed from RTÉ and their HQ at Montrose becoming the National Broadcasting Studio and Network Headquarters.

RTÉ and TnaG would get ~85% of the licence fee between them.

Also the minister has stated that the Licence fee would reduce depending on the collection method.
    Have the figures changed since 2008. These figures were taken directly from the RTE website on 24/05/2012 showing 16% for non RTE activities.

licencefee2.jpg

cormicar wrote: »
    Have the figures changed since 2008. These figures were taken directly from the RTE website on 24/05/2012 showing 16% for non RTE activities.

They have increased since 2008.

17% in 2010. The Licence Fee will make up for the short fall in TG4 Exchequer funding, however the 2011 annual report is still with the Department and the Auditor and Comptroller General. The Sound and Vision Fund will also see an increase in funding.

I also included RnaG and RTÉ Performing Groups in my 25% estimate.

46.57 in '08 = 29%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Another thing to remember is that RTE use a significant amount of their allocation to procure independent productions. I beleive they no longer have outside sports broadcasting and that is now done by independent production companies.

I have long proposed that the licence fee should be collected by the ESB (or/and any other billing electricity company). It would be reasonable for the charge to be placed on every home, but even if a household had to opt out of paying by signing that they were not liable, it would increase the number paying and reduce the evasion. At the present time, a person can move and delay getting a licence until the inspector calls, but the electricity bill always follows the householder.

I would also agree with RTE NL becoming independent of RTE - possibly part of a 'Networks Ireland' semi-state. It is vital our infrastructure is kept under national control and not sold off as was done with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aurelyn

Hi guys, a quick question for ye. I had a licence inspector call last night - I told him I'd no licence, since I (erroneously as it turns out) didn't think I needed one for the small screen I use as a monitor for a console. He asked if I had a TV, I said no, then he asked if he could come in. I said no problem, but before he came in, he asked my name and then realised that he was here for the previous occupant of the house. He didn't bother coming in after all and went away. Problem is, I can't see how he would've missed the set with the console next to it in the front room on his way up to the door! So my question is, is he obliged to tell me that I've been rumbled, or will he just go away now thinking that I was lying to his face and report me? I'm on the way to the post office to get the licence this morning btw :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Aurelyn wrote: »
    I'm on the way to the post office to get the licence this morning btw :)

Well, if you have gone down to the post office to get your licence, then he has done his job. He wont be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

This may have been discussed before but with the switchover to digital happening soon if I have a TV that is not capable of picking up the digital signal that I want to use for a console do I still have to have a license for it?
    As in the tv is only capable of picking up analogue signal but the analogue broadcast has been turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aurelyn

Well, if you have gone down to the post office to get your licence, then he has done his job. He wont be back.

Oh grand - so I'm not going to get slapped with a summons for contempt of inspector, or whatever he'd like to call it?

littlejp wrote: »
    This may have been discussed before but with the switchover to digital happening soon if I have a TV that is not capable of picking up the digital signal that I want to use for a console do I still have to have a license for it?
    As in the tv is only capable of picking up analogue signal but the analogue broadcast has been turned off.

It has been discussed before and yes you will need a licence for any TV, working or not, if it is capable of receiving TV broadcasts, whether they are broadcast or not. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Doesn't make much sense really.
    I worry that they'll be replacing it with a "P.C. License" in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

littlejp wrote: »
    Doesn't make much sense really.
    I worry that they'll be replacing it with a "P.C. License" in the future.
    They're way ahead of you. I think the current suggested replacement is a household media license applying to all households and charged similarly to the household charge.

They're way ahead of you. I think the current suggested replacement is a household media license applying to all households and charged similarly to the household charge.

I think they want to get rid of the idea of self payment. The Levy will be part of a utility bill (unlikely to be the Water bill). You'll have it added on to your Electric Bill, your Pay TV bill, your mobile bill or broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It has been discussed before and yes you will need a licence for any TV, working or not, if it is capable of receiving TV broadcasts, whether they are broadcast or not. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

I, for one, am not so certain that would hold up if a test case were brought.
    With the switch off of all analogue TV signals, a TV with only analogue tuner would be incapable of receiving broadcast TV signals.
    In essence it would be a monitor with a bit of useless tuner circuitry in it.

I guess the easiest thing to do is to remove the tuner from the TV ..... it then becomes a monitor. :D

• Advertisement

I, for one, am not so certain that would hold up if a test case were brought.
    With the switch off of all analogue TV signals, a TV with only analogue tuner would be incapable of receiving broadcast TV signals.
    In essence it would be a monitor with a bit of useless tuner circuitry in it.

I guess the easiest thing to do is to remove the tuner from the TV ..... it then becomes a monitor. :D

I think the thinking in the court would be that the TV only needs a STB to become a TV again and so the case aganst the accused would succeed. It would be very easy to hide a STB but not so easy to hide a CRT TV in the corner of the room. Also, evidence of the arrangement of the room would be telling.

The easiest thing to do is to pay the licence fee.:D

Advertisement