Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

malman wrote: »
    Remember though this is Ireland not the UK.

Evelyn Cusack said at 5:55pm that she hoped the snow wouldn't do much damage.

Below freezing temperatures during the night and tomorrow along with heavy snow could lead to power cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I don't think it is even a band anymore Jenzz. It's a mess (MT's word of the week) of a system. It's more a like an (dis)organised band of showers that will vary in intensity between Clondalkin and Lucan and Listowel and Dingle. I do believe that nobody actuall has a clue what is going to happen tomorrow, never mind next week. Keep in mind tonight's events were only forecast this evening, not last night. The same applies to this mornings precip in dublin which made its way to west clare.

Forecasters have to forecast because that is their job. At this stage it's like listening to 100 bookies giving their favourite for the grand national in 2012. It is a nowcasting situation like it has been for some time. Don't build your hopes up on a positive forecast and do not search ebay for a shotgun if its a bad forecast for you. Just go knit or something. I have done a jumper and a half tonight alone :)

The latter is a joke by the way, while my use of crappy analogies stops now.:o

on the contrary your analogies are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

newbridge about 15 minutes ago, was like a blizzard!

the car in the shot was completely clear earlier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=101838&d=1263084635

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    So what are the chances of snow for Navan tonight and tomorrow?

From the radar i saw today it should kick off around 4.00am till monday ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

pp_me129 wrote: »
    Snow Snow Snow :)

Is it actually snowing in Waterford are you just making a random comment thats associated with this thread?:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

bryaner wrote: »
    From the radar i saw today it should kick off around 4.00am till monday ish

Savage. Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Lob that vein out the window boy !!! :p:p:D:D:pac::pac:

Honestly, whichever of you guys is meeting that fella.....t nt n for a snowball fight will ye plant one square in the head just for me!!!!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Weather Warning

Issued at 10 January 2010 - 00:35
    Weather Warning

Severe weather continues.
    Further heavy falls of snow in Leinster at times overnight. Sleet and snow developing more widely across the country during Sunday and into Monday, giving further falls of 5 - 10 cm in places, with Munster and Leinster most at risk.

Frosty, icy conditions persisting throughout on a widespread scale. Freezing fog lifting early Sunday as winds freshen.

Bit of an upgrade on earliers warning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

No, they were talking about the UK SW, and having lived there for a long time, if it snows there, it's bad news, as they're about as organised as here for dealing with snowfall. 82, we had 6Ft in 2 passes of a front, it went up and then came back 24 hours later, Unless the Atlantic air is very strong, if it snows in the SW of the UK, I suspect that the SW of Ireland will also see snow.

Just listened to the Eagle on RTE, and he's been a bit vague about the possible severity of the next couple of days, and they are definitely backtracking on the possibility of a thaw, needs to be above 4 for any significant thawing, and he's now saying that's not very likely, and some of that will be the degree to which the ground is snow covered and cold soaked by the long period of very low temps we've had recently. West Clare, (my son lives there) was -11 last night, and a significant number of water supplies are frozen at supply level due to prolonged cold soaking. Unless they get a lot of warm rain, it's going to take a long time to get things back up to temperature again.

Steve

Just think these are interesting.
    Always accept that GB is GB, but they certainly also believe that we are going to get absolutely whacked on Tuesday. Greatest Concentration in South of Ireland actually. Just can't find the precipation chart, but it's a beauty for all of Ireland, but especially Munster.

Personally, I've a feeling that Tuesday might be the actual biggie - but I'm already well pleased with tonight.

FSXX00T_84.jpg

UK regions: Wales South West EnglandHeavy SnowTue 12 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Wales and SW England.
    There is potential for further outbreaks of snow developing later on Tuesday. Snow will become heavy and prolonged in places and there will be drifting in strong winds. There will also be further icy stretches on roads and pavements.
    Issued at: 1236 Sat 9 Jan
    UK regions: Northern Ireland North West England Wales South West England West Midlands London & South East England East MidlandsHeavy SnowWed 13 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales on Wednesday.
    There is potential for further outbreaks of snow on Wednesday, this snow spreading slowly eastwards. Snow will be heavy and prolonged in places at first and there will be drifting in strong winds. There will also be further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1241 Sat 9 Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Honestly, whichever of you guys is meeting that fella.....t nt n for a snowball fight will ye plant one square in the head just for me!!!!!!!!!! :p

Holly1 step up to the plate!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

We had a few showers earlier but none lasting more than 10 minutes. A good dashing of it would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Is it actually snowing in Waterford are you just making a random comment thats associated with this thread?:D:pac:

We Got A 3-4 Min Flurry, Best Of The Day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

We had a tiny little flurry but it's stopped again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

temp 1
    dp -4.5

NO SNOW!!! :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well still nothing over on the ferrybank side of Waterford City anyway:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Elnin09 wrote: »
    Weather Warning

Weather Warning

Further heavy falls of snow in Leinster at times overnight. Sleet and snow developing more widely across the country during Sunday and into Monday, giving further falls of 5 - 10 cm in places, with Munster and Leinster most at risk.

Frosty, icy conditions persisting throughout on a widespread scale. Freezing fog lifting early Sunday as winds freshen.

Really?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Weather Warning

Weather Warning

Don't they mean Saturday into Sunday?:confused:

Just slightly :D. Bring it on I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

I think you may have gotten that tiny dot of a shower on the 00:15 radar that was over Kilkenny???

it missed me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

BBC were giving plenty of snow for Leinster on Tuesday BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Is this just wishful thinking or is that huge band of showers around dublin and kildare starting to move south on the radar???

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ok i'm going to watch a pardody movie called Dance Flick. later folks:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

NufcNavan wrote: »

SkyNews are giving it for the entire country on Tuesday!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

You would think by this that everyone on the East Coast is blessed... However - having been in Dublin and Bray earlier today and having witnessed proper snow - in Wicklow Town there hasn't been more than the white of your fingernail of snow coverage over the past week.

I guess it's the location and proximity to the sea? Must be the worst place in Ireland for snowfall :mad:

4260340283_c37de8ec31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mental snow here tonight - an extra 10cm on top of the 7cm already on the ground:D:D:D:cool:

PS: Still snowing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Just to remind you of the HIRLAM link again for anyone wishing to know how much precip they will see between now and Monday night. Everyone will get snow. It's what happens from Monday afternoon that is the million drachma question

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on nedbor

By the way, if you think you are frustrated with the lack of or too much snow then listen to this skit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5rcamAVm8
    I think I may have posted this before xmas. If I did sry.

That a boy John. Have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Everytime I look at one of your posts that little guy shivvering makes me feel cold:D.
    Still snowing hard here,sorry I dident get stocked up today now:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Wouldn't pass a blind bit of need to anything they say for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

there hasn't been more than the white of your fingernail of snow coverage over the past week.
    4260340283_c37de8ec31.jpg

and I bite my nails...:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement