Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Nothing here in Kells yet. We seem to avoided it altogether. Navan, Trim and Oldcastle all got nicely snowed upon, it's not fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

t|nt|n wrote: »
    The epic snowbagg fight is defo ONNNNN !!!! :D:D:pac::pac:

I dont think I will make it tomorrow due to being snowed in:D:D:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

delw wrote: »
    why is the ukmo radar nt showing as much in the irish sea as the met.ie for east

shannon radar is down

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Weatherview on BBC1 in 5 minutes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just caught the late forecast on BBC, and their discussions for the later part of the week are "interesting", in that they're now much more strongly suggesting that the possible thaw is not as likely, and has less strength than was predicted.

Also a very strong implication of "significant snow" for Ireland on Tuesday, although they were not discussing it as such, but were suggesting that the same system could very likely produce "signiicant snow" for the south west peninsula ( Used to live there so I know exactly what that means, and it's not funny).

It won't be over till the fat lady sings :D

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

leahyl wrote: »
    Why does it feel to me like Cork is the only place where it ISN'T snowing?! LOL:D

There isn't much here in Lusk, Co. Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

man i'll be one sad guy next year if we don't get snow over here again like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love these winters, if we had them consistantly, it would end up working out because the roads would be prepared and sorted and therefore wouldn't affect ambulances and we'd still have kick ass snow to play in !!!! :)

I'm a 25 yr old child who refuses to grow up.

:eek: You are me! I am you! We are one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seagullinthesky

Have just crossed the city by taxi. It is magnificent. About 6-7cm snow on ground and hailstoning briskly at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

Why does it feel to me like Cork is the only place where it ISN'T snowing?! LOL:D
    I feel your pain leahyl-no snow here in Waterford either-lets hope we wake up to some of the white stuff tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

The Isle of Man split is very evident now. Intense snow shower in central Louth and north Meath. Absolutely nothing in central Meath and then more activity at the Meath Dublin border southwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

You're not alone- still in the no snow club here too Leahyl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm really hoping that tomorrows big event spreads furhter south than what we had today, hardly a flake in kk.:(

Makes the measly 2-3 inches from thursday seem very little, ye with yer 6 inch falls in the past two hours:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Don't worry, you ain't alone! Not a picking of snow in Sligo and not even a cloud in the sky.
    On the other hand, my window was frozen shut when I attempted to open it just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Alicat wrote: »
    :eek: You are me! I am you! We are one!

+1!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Also a very strong implication of "significant snow" for Ireland on Tuesday, although they were not discussing it as such, but were suggesting that the same system could very likely produce "signiicant snow" for the south west peninsula

Steve

Didn't think the Minister for Obesity Health could sing

I presume you mean Irish SW there and not UK SW Steve?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You're not alone- still in the no snow club here too Leahyl :(

do you mean you've had no snow since this cold spell began:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we had a couple of cm of snow in navan this afternoon for a while, but there's not been any this evening yet.

is it just me or do the weather people not have a single fecking clue about what's going on?

i haven't seen an accurate forecast more than 24 hours ahead since this whole thing started and even then they're only about 50% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hmm, we're going to have to do something about the isle of man. Can we shove it a bit further north maybe? :pac:

On a serious note, moderate graupel here in Malahide, just started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

sfa here today:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

No snow here just 10 miles away:mad:

none here either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Looking at the UKMO radar the precipitation seems to be dying out around now? Not to worry, the snow tonight has been lovely, hope there's more tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

More Lil Flurries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Wolfe - whens the UK band supposed to hit us - not much showing up on radar apart from the one Dublins getting hammered by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

leahyl I'm in North County Cork and no snow either here, it's bitterly cold outside though so hopefully should see some flakes if not tonight then tomorrow at some stage, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Nothing here in Kells yet. We seem to avoided it altogether. Navan, Trim and Oldcastle all got nicely snowed upon, it's not fair

No snow in Navan buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

embee wrote: »
    Looking at the UKMO radar the precipitation seems to be dying out around now? Not to worry, the snow tonight has been lovely, hope there's more tomorrow!

Met.ie radar disagrees. Strongly :P

http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just caught the late forecast on BBC, and their discussions for the later part of the week are "interesting", in that they're now much more strongly suggesting that the possible thaw is not as likely, and has less strength than was predicted.

Also a very strong implication of "significant snow" for Ireland on Tuesday, although they were not discussing it as such, but were suggesting that the same system could very likely produce "signiicant snow" for the south west peninsula ( Used to live there so I know exactly what that means, and it's not funny).

Steve

If you look at the charts the UK will be in the cold easterly flow from the scandinavian high, Ireland could be in a SW flow from the atlantic due to a Low in the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Min wrote: »
    On the UK warnings it says there could be power cuts due to snow turning to ice on power lines.

Yes, ice forming on the power lines can add a serious amount of weight causing breakages. You'd be really surprised at how much ice can actually accumulate on something metal. It can just keep building and building. And that's before any ice starts to cause problems on insulators. All you need is a tiny flaw to allow some moisture to freeze thereby expanding which can in some cases cause an insulator to crack and even fail completely.

I've seen ice form on rushes that's been over an inch in diameter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

vibe666 wrote: »
    we had a couple of cm of snow in navan this afternoon for a while, but there's not been any this evening yet.

is it just me or do the weather people not have a single fecking clue about what's going on?

i haven't seen an accurate forecast more than 24 hours ahead since this whole thing started and even then they're only about 50% right.

Isn't that pretty much the case most of the time though?
    It's just no one analyses and compares it to the reality as much as we are in the past few days and weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

do you mean you've had no snow since this cold spell began:(

No, last snow that stuck was Wednesday....still some lying in fields etc.

I guess I'm just being greedy now! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement