Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

pp_me129 wrote: »
    More Lil Flurries.
    Oh Yessss..I can barely see it but I just noticed the sky has clouded up nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

bryaner wrote: »
    No snow in Navan buddy

I've been lied to. Damn cousins making me jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

leahyl wrote: »
    Why does it feel to me like Cork is the only place where it ISN'T snowing?! LOL:D

nothing in KK either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

do you mean you've had no snow since this cold spell began:(

NO! Literally a DUSTING on Wednesday morning barely worth mentioning - other than that NADA!

Just watched forecast on rte there - wasn't the same one as earlier but he said much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

No snow here just 10 miles away:mad:

Stopped again now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Going out now.

Will post pix soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Snow in Dublin and Louth but not a flake here in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Snowing in Leixlip for the last few hours. Unbelievable stuff. If we get more tomorrow its definately one for the record books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

No sooner than it starts it stops here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Getting another light dusting here again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Didn't think the Minister for Obesity Health could sing

I presume you mean Irish SW there and not UK SW Steve?

No, they were talking about the UK SW, and having lived there for a long time, if it snows there, it's bad news, as they're about as organised as here for dealing with snowfall. 82, we had 6Ft in 2 passes of a front, it went up and then came back 24 hours later, Unless the Atlantic air is very strong, if it snows in the SW of the UK, I suspect that the SW of Ireland will also see snow.

Just listened to the Eagle on RTE, and he's been a bit vague about the possible severity of the next couple of days, and they are definitely backtracking on the possibility of a thaw, needs to be above 4 for any significant thawing, and he's now saying that's not very likely, and some of that will be the degree to which the ground is snow covered and cold soaked by the long period of very low temps we've had recently. West Clare, (my son lives there) was -11 last night, and a significant number of water supplies are frozen at supply level due to prolonged cold soaking. Unless they get a lot of warm rain, it's going to take a long time to get things back up to temperature again.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

jenzz wrote: »
    Wolfe - whens the UK band supposed to hit us - not much showing up on radar apart from the one Dublins getting hammered by
    I don't think it is even a band anymore Jenzz. It's a mess (MT's word of the week) of a system. It's more a like an (dis)organised band of showers that will vary in intensity between Clondalkin and Lucan and Listowel and Dingle. I do believe that nobody actuall has a clue what is going to happen tomorrow, never mind next week. Keep in mind tonight's events were only forecast this evening, not last night. The same applies to this mornings precip in dublin which made its way to west clare.

Forecasters have to forecast because that is their job. At this stage it's like listening to 100 bookies giving their favourite for the grand national in 2012. It is a nowcasting situation like it has been for some time. Don't build your hopes up on a positive forecast and do not search ebay for a shotgun if its a bad forecast for you. Just go knit or something. I have done a jumper and a half tonight alone :)

The latter is a joke by the way, while my use of crappy analogies stops now.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Graupel has turned to very light snow here now, temp has dropped 0.75 degrees to exactly freezing, on a mercury thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Stopped here now it's a beautiful calm night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

kleefarr wrote: »
    Stopped again now. :(

I think you may have gotten that tiny dot of a shower on the 00:15 radar that was over Kilkenny???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No, last snow that stuck was Wednesday....still some lying in fields etc.

I guess I'm just being greedy now! :o

we are all greedy when it comes to snow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Snow in Dublin and Louth but not a flake here in Navan.

Ill second that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Moderate snow shower here in Carlow town at the moment. Had a few light showers now and then tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

holly1 wrote: »
    I dont think I will make it tomorrow due to being snowed in:D:D:D:D.

New plan.... meet you halfway between Sallins and Clane !!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Snow Snow Snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

So what are the chances of snow for Navan tonight and tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Moderate snow shower here in Carlow town at the moment. Had a few light showers now and then tonight.

Lob that vein out the window boy !!! :p:p:D:D:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Starting to snow here in Swords again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I'm beginning to think Balbriggan is immune from the snow. Watched numerous radar images with showers sweeping over North County Dublin tonight and not a flake. In fact, hardly any snow here for the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I think you may have gotten that tiny dot of a shower on the 00:15 radar that was over Kilkenny???

Yep, that's the second tiny dot I've had all night.
    I expect to wake up to at least another 6" of snow tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

In Cobh BIG cloud's starting to make their way in:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Wish it would come down south a bit, it's not that far, please send it down!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

vibe666 wrote: »
    we had a couple of cm of snow in navan this afternoon for a while, but there's not been any this evening yet.

is it just me or do the weather people not have a single fecking clue about what's going on?

i haven't seen an accurate forecast more than 24 hours ahead since this whole thing started and even then they're only about 50% right.

Your post is indicitive of people's reaction to Met Eireann's forcasting and the localised nature of Irish weather. If you study Met Eireann's radar on met.ie you will see that they were very much correct in there forcasting for the continuation of showers in parts of the east. If you look at the radar you will see that Louth is getting snow, so to is north Meath, so to is Dublin, Wicklow etc. But not Meath central. If you thrawl through the thread you will see my references to the effects of the Isle of Man on our weather. It is causing a spilt in the clouds thereby shielding Meath from snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    So what are the chances of snow for Navan tonight and tomorrow?

Yeah, any of the forecasters have any indications? or is the Isle of Man gonna scupper our chances totally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dave1982 wrote: »
    In Cobh BIG cloud's starting to make their way in:D

WOOHOO!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement