Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Now that my 10km plan is over, I'll have to make up my own program for 8 weeks until i start an 18 week marathon specific program. But I will have to be up to 12 miles by then which i think there will be plenty of time for. So this week I will be doing the following;

Mon Rest (leg muscles tight from great Ireland 10km!)
    Tue 3m easy
    Wed Strength/core
    Thur 6 x 400m speed w/200m recovery
    Fri 3 m easy
    Sat BHAA 10km road race(will try to better pb of 37 mins 2 secs?!)
    Sun rest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Now that my 10km plan is over, I'll have to make up my own program for 8 weeks until i start an 18 week marathon specific program. But I will have to be up to 12 miles by then which i think there will be plenty of time for. So this week I will be doing the following;

Tue 3m easy
    Wed Strength/core
    Fri 3 m easy
    Sun rest
    Two tough 10ks in a week? Good luck! Great result by the way. All those carbs in Edinburgh must have helped. Liquid diet all the way, from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Would you not be worried about doing a session on Thursday before a race on Saturday? Maybe just strides after an easy or steady run would be better. Sorry for unsolicited advice, ignore at will!

Two tough 10ks in a week? Good luck! Great result by the way. All those carbs in Edinburgh must have helped. Liquid diet all the way, from now on!

Yes those beers really did help, along with the pizza i had for dinner 2 nights in a row! Nah, I wouldnt recommend doing the dog on it a week before a run in which you want to do well. Dont know how i got that time, thought id get around 38-39 mins which i would have been gutted with. Another 10km this saturday, hopefully i can better my time again and last weekends run hasnt fatigued me too much..

asimonov wrote: »
    Would you not be worried about doing a session on Thursday before a race on Saturday? Maybe just strides after an easy or steady run would be better. Sorry for unsolicited advice, ignore at will!

I was doin 11 x 400m's before the last 10k, though that was over 2 weeks ago now and i missed the last 12 x 400m before the 10km!! So figured 6 x 400m's would be nice and 'easy'. Just gonna take a gamble and see how it goes..

• Advertisement

Tue 3m easy
    Wed Strength/core
    Fri 3 m easy
    Sun rest

Legs were still very stiff from Sunday so gave last night a miss. The rest probably helped. Will go for a slow 3 miler tonight and maybe a slow 5-7 miler tomorrow. Will leave the speed work for another week.

Tue 3m easy
    Wed Strength/core
    Fri 3 m easy
    Sun rest

3 miles easy last night at 7.30 pace. Done and dusted. Tonight I'll do 4 miles easy with some strides

Tue 3m easy
    Wed Strength/core
    Fri 3 m easy
    Sun rest

Decided to do 4 miles easy tonight instead of speed work due to the 10km race this saturday. The weather was great yesterday evening and there was a nice cool breeze on Sandymount strand. Kinda got carried away with myself and ran 7 miles easy at 7.16 minutes average. The only downside was a bunch of no brainer teenage girls jumping in front of me at 1 point trying to get me to stop and eat some Haagan Daz?!?!? Think my angry look got them outta the way as one said 'he looks too serious' so the slighlty large girl with the icecream got outta my way in the last second.. At least no dog jumped or growled at me this time!

Gona rest tonight and hope im feeling ok for another 10km race tomorrow morning. Hoping there are no hills out in Straffan as the ones last week in the Phoeno were bloody tough!

sat 24th Apr 2010 BHAA K Klub RR.

Started the day in low spirits thinking that i should probably aim for 38/39 mins due to me putting in a lot of effort in the Great Ireland last week. The sun was blistering down too in Kildare which was gonna make for a tough run. Once the race started though, i was running at my race pace and all thoughts of taking it easy were out the window. Started to feel the pain after 2 miles and didnt think i could keep under 6 min miles for much longer. But somehow I did, going through pain and dead legs. I was in a jocker at the end. Really struggled over the last mile, though that should get better with more LSR's. Havent been doing enough of them lately. Ive now got a new pb of 36 mins 26 seconds; my old pb from last week didnt last very long!!! wonder if i can break it again at some stage this year?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

wow, I thought you mite get under 37, but thats a nice chunk of time off, great PB, well done! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done, that's great running.

Cheers guys. The course was flat for the most part which helped a lot, though the sun and heat cancelled that out. The phoenix park course was a fair bit hillier last week. Still its always nice to have a good run! Would love to know how the winners do it in 32/33 mins?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

sat 24th Apr 2010 BHAA K Klub RR.

Started the day in low spirits thinking that i should probably aim for 38/39 mins due to me putting in a lot of effort in the Great Ireland last week. The sun was blistering down too in Kildare which was gonna make for a tough run. Once the race started though, i was running at my race pace and all thoughts of taking it easy were out the window. Started to feel the pain after 2 miles and didnt think i could keep under 6 min miles for much longer. But somehow I did, going through pain and dead legs. I was in a jocker at the end. Really struggled over the last mile, though that should get better with more LSR's. Havent been doing enough of them lately. Ive now got a new pb of 36 mins 26 seconds; my old pb from last week didnt last very long!!! wonder if i can break it again at some stage this year?!

Great job smoore, especially after last weeks effort. Tbh, from reading your training log, I think if you wanted to dedicate yourself and train a wee bit harder, you could go sub 35 never mind sub 36. I think I am correct in saying you have youth on your side too ? Keep it up.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Great job smoore, especially after last weeks effort. Tbh, from reading your training log, I think if you wanted to dedicate yourself and train a wee bit harder, you could go sub 35 never mind sub 36. I think I am correct in saying you have youth on your side too ? Keep it up.

Cheers for the vote of confidence, though i think im a long way off sub 35! Maybe if i was to dedicate myself a fair bit more and do another years solid training, then sub 35 would be possible.. Youth is still just about on my side, 30 years of age. (might just make the 2016 Olympic team :D)

This weeks training;

Mon 3m easy
    Tue Tempo (40 mins w 20 mins at 6 min miles)
    Wed Strength and core training
    Thur 5 m easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 5 mile RTE BHAA RR
    Sun 9 m LSR at 7 min pace

This weeks training;

Mon 3m easy
    Thur 5 m easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 5 mile RTE BHAA RR

Decided to do this without the Garmin and without an preplanned route. Say i did about 4 miles in the end at 7.5 min pace. Though it was really tough as i had a big roast chicken dinner 30 mins before heading out! Dont think i sweated as much in my life; felt so heavy.

Tempo for tonight, i'll be deffo doing this before dinner :)

Did my strength training last night instead of the tempo run. 45 minutes of ouch! Hope to do the tempo later on though it depends on work and when i get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

After reading so many other training logs, I reckon I should start a training log this year for my own personnal motivation and to keep tabs on how much im actually getting out there and running. A little background to myself - Ive been running 1 and a half years now, but have really only started to take it seriously since June 09. Last year has been good in terms of personal achievement, 1hr 2 mins pb for 10 miles and 1hr 21 mins pb for half marathon. Leading up to the marathon i was clocking up 30 mile weeks so i reckon there should be room for more improvement by upping the mileage in 2010. Was hoping to break 3 hours though knew deep down that there was not enough mileage under the belt to achieve this. Gave it a go anyways and was 10 minutes over which i was still over the moon with. Have been injured since the marathon but will soon be able to get goin again (15th Jan) and really cant wait!! Gona follow a Hal Higdon 10km advanced program to the letter and see how it goes. Only 8 days til im back, wish me luck!!!!

The progress you achieved last year and this year (10k sub 37 mins) are quite something for approx 30 miles of aerobic exercise per week. Did you do any other form of exercise prior to taking up the running?

For what it's worth I've been doing slightly higher mileage since Apr 09 and would have kept fairly fit for the few years prior (I'm 38). I was quite proud of my 3hr 28mins last Oct but this year can't yet break 42 mins for a 10k.

So yes you've guessed it - I'm as jealous as hell!!

But fair play to you aswell, there could be another Steven Way lurking in there...

Husavik wrote: »
    The progress you achieved last year and this year (10k sub 37 mins) are quite something for approx 30 miles of aerobic exercise per week. Did you do any other form of exercise prior to taking up the running?

For what it's worth I've been doing slightly higher mileage since Apr 09 and would have kept fairly fit for the few years prior (I'm 38). I was quite proud of my 3hr 28mins last Oct but this year can't yet break 42 mins for a 10k.

But fair play to you aswell, there could be another Steven Way lurking in there...

Yea, it pisses me off no end to see these lads with talent to burn running sub 37 10k's on 30mls/wk :(

Husavik wrote: »

To be honest, i have just been a bit more consistant in training. Though could actually be a bit more as ive been missing a few sessions here and there and have lapsed the odd weekend due to beer and missed a lot of long runs for Sunday! I think on the 10km result, the reason for the faster time was due to speed sessions once a week. Followed Hal Higdon 10km plan advanced and that had 400m x 6 starting off and upped every week to 400 x 7, 400 x 8 etc until i reached 11 x 400m. And the odd tempo run where i run a few miles at race pace. Oh yeah, before i took up running nearly 2 years ago, i did nothing!! well some astro ball here and there..

• Advertisement

This weeks training;

Mon 3m easy
    Thur 5 m easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 5 mile RTE BHAA RR

Missed my tempo last night due to work commitments but will defo get it done tonight come hell or high water :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

To be honest, i have just been a bit more consistant in training. Though could actually be a bit more as ive been missing a few sessions here and there and have lapsed the odd weekend due to beer and missed a lot of long runs for Sunday! I think on the 10km result, the reason for the faster time was due to speed sessions once a week. Followed Hal Higdon 10km plan advanced and that had 400m x 6 starting off and upped every week to 400 x 7, 400 x 8 etc until i reached 11 x 400m. And the odd tempo run where i run a few miles at race pace. Oh yeah, before i took up running nearly 2 years ago, i did nothing!! well some astro ball here and there..

Well it's bloody good going, keep it up. I must look at the Hal Higdon again..

Thur 29th Apr; 40 mins Tempo

Headed out to Sandymount to do my Tempo after a hard day at the office. Had been chewing gum beforehand and lets just say it had a bad effect on my stomach! So was 50 50 on actually going out. But headed out in the end. The first 10 minutes were to be done at 7ish min miles, followed by 20 mins at 6ish min miles. Then 10 mins warm down at 7-8 min miles. Didnt feel too bad during the first 10 mins. The next 10 mins were torture though. Felt fatigued and weak (probably due to that chewing gum incident!) so was gona slow down once i finished 10 mins at 6 min mile pace. Though got to 10 and aimed to continue to 15, felt so tough and was done on grass. Got to 15 and said 'to hell with it, just another 5 mins of torture!' Come the 19th minute i just stared at the Garmin begging it to hit the 20th min of fast pace. Finally finished the tough part and 10 minutes light run at 7 to 8 min miles. My legs were like jelly and found it hard to catch the breath. All in all i got just over 6 miles done in the following;

mile 1 7.07
    mile 2 6.31
    mile 3 6.01
    mile 4 6.02
    mile 5 6.20
    mile 6 7.41
    total 6 miles in 39 mins 42 secs.

Tomorrow is the BHAA RTE 5 mile RR. Feel a bit tired today, hope a day of rest and a nice sleep help me for tomorrow!

unscheduled footy training with work mates for an hour. legs wrecked now. tomorrows rte run is gonna be a tough slog...

sat 1st May: RTE 5 mile RR;

Wasnt gonna do this due to yesterdays footy training with work mates in the park. Ended up with a bruised toe on my right foot and legs were shattered from 80metre sprints. So reluctantly I headed out to RTE. Tried to jog a bit to get there and i was so stiff.

Got there a little late so didnt have time to do a warm up jog. The race started and i began well enough. This didnt last long however as first I realised that the Garmin wasnt on and then a mile into it, my thighs started to burn like hell! Got the Garmin on finally and could tell what pace i was runnin. Was goin toe to toe with another competitor who was goin a similar pace so that kept me goin too. Im pretty sure it was Robinph judging by pics ive seen on boards. With a mile left my legs started to go and i was expecting him to glide past. Also contemplated walking the last mile. Held out though somehow and almost coughed up a lung at the finish. A new 5 mile pb of 28 mins 56 secs!

With the pain/desparation of that race, i have no idea how i kept going. Think I'll rest on Sunday. No energy to do an 8 mile LSR so will do that on Monday :rolleyes:

sat 1st May: RTE 5 mile RR;

Wasnt gonna do this due to yesterdays footy training with work mates in the park. Ended up with a bruised toe on my right foot and legs were shattered from 80metre sprints. So reluctantly I headed out to RTE. Tried to jog a bit to get there and i was so stiff.

Got there a little late so didnt have time to do a warm up jog. The race started and i began well enough. This didnt last long however as first I realised that the Garmin wasnt on and then a mile into it, my thighs started to burn like hell! Got the Garmin on finally and could tell what pace i was runnin. Was goin toe to toe with another competitor who was goin a similar pace so that kept me goin too. Im pretty sure it was Robinph judging by pics ive seen on boards. With a mile left my legs started to go and i was expecting him to glide past. Also contemplated walking the last mile. Held out though somehow and almost coughed up a lung at the finish. A new 5 mile pb of 28 mins 56 secs!

With the pain/desparation of that race, i have no idea how i kept going. Think I'll rest on Sunday. No energy to do an 8 mile LSR so will do that on Monday :rolleyes:

Wow, congrats on new pb. Thats a great time considering your workload these past 2 days.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Wow, congrats on new pb. Thats a great time considering your workload these past 2 days.

Thanks, its been an eventful past 2 weeks alright! A nice rest today is well deserved.

Had to rest again today. Was meant to do an 8 mile LSR but my legs were still sore from the RTE 5m on Saturday. Back of upper legs to be exact. Left glute feels a bit strained aswell. Depending how i feel tomorrow (hopefully no tightness) this is my plan for the week..

Tue 8 mile LSR
    Wed 3 miles recovery
    Thur 1600m warm up, 6 x 400m with 200m recovery, 1200 warm down
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3 mile recovery
    Sun 9 mile LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Wow, great running on Saturday, under 29mins, well done !?!

• Advertisement

arghh, still tight hams and now my ankle is playin up! 8mile later is 50 50 at this stage...

Advertisement