Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Left achilles still a bit sore. Unfortunately I'll have to rest again. Hope all that good work from last week is still there when i start again tomorrow(hopefully)!:mad:

decided to go on my first run since last Saturday today. 5 miles in 36 mins. no side effects on my left side. Back calves feel a bit sore but im putting that down to rustiness. Also broke in my new Mizuno wave inspire 6's! Might have a burial for the old Mizuno 5's :D all runners/joggers welcome!

Will do an 8 mile LSR tomorrow and then rest on Monday. Then Tuesday is the BHAA 5k beach run. Next Sunday is the Sportsworld Classic 5m and the Tuesday after that is the Docklands 5m. Gonna be a busy 2 weeks ahead. Hope I can get a new 5m personal best...

8.15 miles done today. Was a little windy and quite sunny out there today but a nice run along Sandymount all the same. The garmin recorded the following miles;

1 7min 20secs
    2 7min 24secs
    3 7min 08secs
    4 7min 24secs
    5 7min 21secs
    6 7min 00secs
    7 7min 19secs
    8 7min 03secs
    .15 1min 2secs

Rest day tomorrow, didnt get much done this week due to muscle strain (13.15 miles total). Hopefully its enough for the BHAA 5km this Tuesday. Hope to do well in Sportsworld 5m next Sunday too..

Next weeks plan

Mon rest
    Tue BHAA 5km beach race (anything sub 18 will do!)
    Wed 5m easy
    Thu 8m LSR
    Fri rest
    Sat 3mile easy
    Sun Sportsworld 5mile

Would be nice to set new 5k and 5m pb's but doubtful coz of last weeks inactivity. But ya never know though!;)

Just looked at the 2010 calender. Training for DCM should start on Mon 21st Jun for me. Think I'll start a week early - 14th(make it a 19 week instead of 18 week program) just in case of unforseen events etc...

Rest today followed by BHAA 5km beach run tomorrow. Hope my calves loosen by then. They're killin me!

• Advertisement

11th May ESB BHAA 5km Beach run.

Had very little confidence for this. Did very little mileage last week and my calves were like bricks, painful when walking, never mind running! This was a tough race. Parts were extremely slippy due to seaweed, others full of puddles and on occasion nice and firm. Did a decent first mile, the leaders were not too far ahead. But after that it was a slog and my energy levels were starting to drop. A few people started to pass me out but i tried to put that to the back of my head and carry on. For 2 miles i dreamt of that finish line! Towards the end 1 guy came chasing behind me but i couldnt let another pass me with 20 metres left. Got a small adrenalin burst and sprinted just about holding my position. My Garmin time tells a story of my run;

mile 1 5 mins 39 secs
    mile 2 6 mins 01 secs
    mile 3 5 mins 58 secs

Overall my Garmin recorded 17 mins 38 secs. Im quite happy with that. This time last year i did the same race in 19 mins 30 secs though i wasnt well that day. Still i have a new 5km personal best. Think with increased mileage/speed work I can do a bit better. Time will tell...

5 miles easy tonight to shake off the cobwebs of last night. Will run this at 7.20ish pace. Strangely enough my calves have loosened a lot since the race yesterday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Jaysus that's quick over sand & seaweed
    Fair play
    I would have thought you were fairly near the pointy end of things with a time like that?

DustyBin wrote: »
    Jaysus that's quick over sand & seaweed
    Fair play
    I would have thought you were fairly near the pointy end of things with a time like that?

The winner did it in 15 mins 53 secs, so i was about 1 minute 50 secs off. 24th overall. Am very happy with the time coz i didnt expect it. But when about 10 fella's pass you out over the course it still feels disheartening to say the least! So mixed feelings at the finish line, but overall happy :rolleyes:.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Next weeks plan

Mon rest
    Tue BHAA 5km beach race (anything sub 18 will do!)
    Wed 5m easy
    Thu 8m LSR
    Fri rest
    Sat 3mile easy
    Sun Sportsworld 5mile

Would be nice to set new 5k and 5m pb's but doubtful coz of last weeks inactivity. But ya never know though!;)

5m done along the beach last night. Felt a bit stiff from tuesdays race so not the most enjoyable run Ive done. Finished in around 36 mins. Stuck to just over 7 min per mile pace. Feel a lot looser today, yes!

Gona do 8 miles LSR straight after work and then onto a quiz night in aid of the Arva 22km run.

• Advertisement

Thur 13th May 8 miles (supposed to be :confused:)

Set off from work my my 8 mile run. Calves were still aching from the last few days. From the very start i was in a little discomfort. Made my way out to Sandymount and along the promenade. I was still grimissing after 3 miles. I got to 4.9 miles and i felt a ligament at the back of my right knee tighten sharp so decided to stop for a minute. Felt very p1ssed off at this stage. So started up again and ran home. 5.6 miles in total with 1 stop, not 8 miles!!! Kinda feel dejected after that awful run last night and lookin for reasons as to what went wrong. The only answer i can think of is that the Tuesday race took a lot outta me and the 5 miles the following day didnt help either!!!

Gona rest today, thank God Ive a rest day planned for today! Supposed to do 3 miles easy on Saturday but am 50 50 on this. Yesterday's run has really knocked my confidence going into Sundays 5m road race!!

16th May - 5 mile Sportsworld Classic

Not a great day at the office. Started off quickly and looked like i was on for a new pb (28 mins 56 secs). Finished the first mile in 5 17 but after that i seemed to completely tank out. My energy levels completely dropped. It could have been the heat as i struggled badly with that. Id say about 15 people passed me out from mile 3 on.. My Garmin recorded the following times;

mile 1 5 17
    mile 2 5 42
    mile 3 6 03
    mile 4 5 55
    mile 5 6 09
    170 feet 12 secs

So over 5 miles i finished in 29 min 10 secs; over the course 29 mins 22 secs. A decent enough time though felt pretty demoralised by my lack of energy after 2 miles and being passed out by a lot of people. I said it before, but i really need to get my LSR's goin. Dont think ive ran more than 8/9 miles for 1. Im pretty sure thats the reason why i lose energy so quickly in these races! Another 5 mile this Tuesday in the Docklands. Have no idea how this will go. The exerts of today may effect me bad come tuesday...

This weeks running. There wont be a lot due to other commitments later in the week. Am still tired from yesterdays race, I hate running in the sun!! and have another 5 mile race tomorrow! Have no idea how that will pan out..

Mon 2 mile v easy
    Tue Docklands 5 mile run
    Wed 3 miles easy
    Thur na
    Fri na
    Sat na
    Sun hopefully some sort of run!!

This weeks running. There wont be a lot due to other commitments later in the week. Am still tired from yesterdays race, I hate running in the sun!! and have another 5 mile race tomorrow! Have no idea how that will pan out..

Mon 2 mile v easy
    Tue Docklands 5 mile run
    Wed 3 miles easy
    Thur na
    Fri na
    Sat na
    Sun hopefully some sort of run!!

Decided to rest yesterday as i was fairly shattered after Sunday. Docklands 5 mile tonight. Still feel tired. Not sure whether to run race pace or LSR pace. I'll make that decision about 0.5 miles in!

May 18th Docklands 5 mile funrun/not so fun runs!!!

So many worries before this one. Would my legs be recharged after Sundays 5 mile race? Then i had some Paula Radcliffe moments this afternoon. Stomach didnt feel great at all. Went along anyway, then realised i left my chip at home so had to go back and get it :mad:. Then 10 minutes before the race, another Paul Radcliffe moment :eek: Ran for my life into the Milano restaurant on Grand Canal Dock. By the time i came out the race had started. 1 minute gone on the clock, oh dear..

Soon caught up with the masses. It was sooo frustrating trying to get through them. Really slowed me down. so i kept hussling and nudging until the pack started to spread a little. It felt good to be passing so many people. Passed a guy i knew and he couldnt believe my pace. Then passed a mate in Irishtown who gave me some nice words of encouragement. On East link toll bridge passed some Tri guys who were shoutin 'go on ya good thing!' Wasnt sure were they supporting me or slagging me :confused: Still i passed people out though less frequently. With a mile left i passed a middle aged guy running who said he wished he was me?! Finished in 29 mins 10 seconds though the finish time on the clock was 31 mins and a bit.

5 45
    5 51
    5 55
    5 52
    5 42

I was very happy looking at the times considering i was in a bad way just before the run. Maybe i could have broken my 28 56 pb had it not been for the human traffic. Tryin to get through 2000 people is a struggle, maybe next time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Very nice splits all same though ! Your in very good form over 5miles lately, only a matter of time before you break that PB...good stuff !

tisnotover wrote: »
    Very nice splits all same though ! Your in very good form over 5miles lately, only a matter of time before you break that PB...good stuff !

Cheers! yep, im happy enough with my splits considering i wasnt in top form. Got my results, finish time was 31.15 and 39th place. Though with my 29 10 garmin time, id say top 20 would have been on the cards :rolleyes:

Fri 21st. 7km easy run around inchadony. Great views and unbelievable weather. Ran at around 7.5 minute pace.

Sat 22nd cross training. surf lessons, tough on the arms and shoulders. Not much benefit for the legs though. Still, I amy have found another sport i enjoy :rolleyes:

Happy i did some sort of excercise as i didnt expect to do anything as was at a wedding for the weekend.. Should be back to normal training next week,,,,

This weeks plan;

Mon 24th Rest
    Tue 25th 5 mile easy
    Wed 26th 6 x 400m (300 recovery)
    Thur 27th 3 miles easy
    Fri 28th Footy training
    Sat 29th Rest
    Sun 30th 9 mile LSR

This weeks plan;

Mon 24th Rest
    Tue 25th 5 mile easy
    Wed 26th 6 x 400m (300 recovery)
    Thur 27th 3 miles easy
    Fri 28th Footy training
    Sat 29th Rest
    Sun 30th 9 mile LSR

Got my 5 miles done at lunch break today treating this as a tempo. First mile was done at a comfortable paced and after that i ran 3 at roughly 6 minute mile pace. Finished the last mile at a comfortable pace. Gonna rejig this weeks plan due to cancellation of footy. Will do something similar to P and D advanced week 1 but a bit less mileage!

• Advertisement

Based on week 1 of the P&D marathon program that i'll be starting next month, my new plan for this week is;

Mon Rest
    Tue 5 miles temp (3 at HM pace) done
    Wed Rest
    Thur 7 miles aerobic
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2miles recovery
    Sun Medium run 9 miles

Based on week 1 of the P&D marathon program that i'll be starting next month, my new plan for this week is;

Mon Rest
    Wed Rest
    Thur 7 miles aerobic
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2miles recovery
    Sun Medium run 9 miles

7 miles aerobic. 50 mins 18 secs. A nice run from Adelaide road to Herbert park. Around the park twice and over to Sean Moore park and on to Sandymount promenade. Then back to Lansdowne road. Recorded the following mile splits..

mile 1 6 mins 54 secs
    mile 2 7 mins 22 secs
    mile 3 7 mins 17 secs
    mile 4 7 mins 6 secs
    mile 5 7 mins 8 secs
    mile 6 7 mins 12 secs
    mile 7 7 mins 19 secs
    0.23 mile 1 min 35 secs

Mon Rest
    Wed Rest
    Thur 7 miles aerobic
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2miles recovery
    Sun Medium run 9 miles

2 miles easy done today. Didnt bother with the Garmin, just ran at a very comfortable pace around Herbert park. Will deffo be bringing it with me tomorrow though for the 9 miler!

Mon Rest
    Wed Rest
    Thur 7 miles aerobic
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2miles recovery
    Sun Medium run 9 miles

9 miles at 7 min mile pace..Tough run out there today. The heat was a killer, was half thinking of stopping after 1.5 miles! The run took in herbert park, sean moore park, Irishtown nature reserve and sandymount beach/promenade. The Garmin recorded the following times;

mile 1 6 49
    mile 2 6 55
    mile 3 6 57
    mile 4 6 59
    mile 5 6 57
    mile 6 7 09 (wrong turn in nature reserve and needed to slow down)
    mile 7 6 57
    mile 8 6 57
    mile 9 6 56
    recovery 0.71 miles at average 8 15 pace

Was worried before as this is the furthest ive run in 2010. Happy with the outcome though. Just over 23 miles this week aswell which is also the most ive done in a week this year. Looks like im marathon mode now! bought 'born to run' for inspiration too :D

This weeks plan, again based on week 1 of the P & D advanced 18 week 55 mile program...

Mon Rest
    Tue 5 miles (BHAA race in Dunboyne) sub 6 minute pace hopefully
    Wed Rest
    Thur 8 miles aerobic - 7 min 30 sec pace
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3 miles recovery - 8 minute pace
    Sun 10 miles LSR at 7 minute pace

Tue 1st Jun - BHAA Dunboyne 5 miles

This race could have gone 1 of 2 ways for after last weeks mileage increase (23 miles incl. 9 miles LSR). Either my legs would be fatigued and id struggle home hopefully for sub 30 or the LSR would help my endurance and id get 29 mins. The weather was fine and the course was 1 loop which was a great help.

The race started and i held back a little for the 1st mile, didnt want to go out too fast like the sportworld 5 miler. Felt good after 2 miles and at that stage there was a small group of 4 i was in. I pushed on a little catching 1 or 2 guys ahead along with the small group who were like my shadow at this stage. Come the last mile another guy that was 10 metres ahead got dragged into the group so now there were 5. The race finished with a loop of the athletics track. At that stage i was knackered and the guy we caught with a mile left made a move. Which i in turn responded to with 50m left and got a burst of energy to sprint to the finish holding him off. Was a great ding dong battle around with that group and it felt good to get the better of them! Was nice to have a little conversation afterwards with 1 of the group, he was using me to keep his pace up and thanked me for helping him get to the finish. The garmin recorded the following;

Mile 1 5 37
    Mile 2 5 37
    Mile 3 5 47
    Mile 4 5 57
    Mile 5 5 41

Overall I was pretty damn happy, my old 28 56 pb is now a new 28 39 pb!! 17 seconds knocked off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

congrats!

Super time, it was warm and windy yesterday too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great running and massive PB ! :D

Looks like you found a very nice group to work with. very even splits !

Cheers Tisnotover and TBB. Race started at 8pm so by that stage it was starting to cool down but was still a little muggy. Feel wrecked today, but it was worth it!

• Advertisement

This weeks plan, again based on week 1 of the P & D advanced 18 week 55 mile program...

Mon Rest
    Tue 5 miles (BHAA race in Dunboyne) sub 6 minute pace hopefully
    Wed Rest
    Thur 8 miles aerobic - 7 min 30 sec pace
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3 miles recovery - 8 minute pace
    Sun 10 miles LSR at 7 minute pace

8 miles later at 7 30 pace, not too worried about this. However, Im straight into football training with work mates after the run. Could be pretty tough after an 8 miler. Our office will be playin the German and Lux offices in a mini Euro cup on Saturday week, all very serious stuff :rolleyes:

Advertisement