Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Figured I'd reply here, in case others my be interested in commenting.

Sounds bang on. The intervals will make the speed-work more manageable and the LSRs shouldn't be a problem as they'll be progressive. You're PB is 3:10 for the distance, right? What marathon program are you thinking of following?

yep, 3.10 in the last marathon, though struggled badly from mile 17 onwards and stopped twice for a minute each time after mile 23. Pace went completely out the window once i hit the milltown area! i reckon sub 3 is achievable if i can go the distance without stopping! I bought the P&D advanced marathon book and will use the 'up to 55 mile plan'. Didnt do enough mileage last time, i 'd say 32-35 was the highest mileage i reached in any one week..

smmoore79 wrote: »
    This weeks running;

Mon rest
    Tue 3 mile run easy
    Wed BHAA 5km XC hard
    Thur 3 mile easy and strength
    Fri rest
    Sat 3 mile easy
    Sun 9 x 400 mile pace

Wed 10 Mar: BHAA XC 5 (and a half!) km

Wasnt looking forward to this one as my legs were still tired from Sunday and Tuesdays runs. Right lower leg was so stiff and causing pain on the top of my foot too. Got the bus out anyways with 2 of my BHAA team mates and said id give it a go regardless. Glad i did now. The race went as well as i could have hoped for. I maintained a good pace throughout clinging onto the guy in front of me! Course was a surprise, a good part was ploughed so very uneven and there were some steep short hills. Finished in 21.5 mins in 15th place so still on cloud 9 with that position. To make things sweeter my grade went from 10 to 9 and the team was awarded 20 quid each for finishing top of class B! who said running doesnt pay?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

yep, 3.10 in the last marathon, though struggled badly from mile 17 onwards and stopped twice for a minute each time after mile 23. Pace went completely out the window once i hit the milltown area! i reckon sub 3 is achievable if i can go the distance without stopping! I bought the P&D advanced marathon book and will use the 'up to 55 mile plan'. Didnt do enough mileage last time, i 'd say 32-35 was the highest mileage i reached in any one week..
    you clearly have the speed as suggested by the bove and your 400 m interval times, you just need to focus on endurance and marathon specific training - tergats posts are like gold in this regard.

I would defo be getting that long run up asap if endurance is your issue. i wouldnt be just focusing on a 10k plan and leaving endurance until the marathon program begins

kennyb3 wrote: »
    you clearly have the speed as suggested by the bove and your 400 m interval times, you just need to focus on endurance and marathon specific training - tergats posts are like gold in this regard.

I would defo be getting that long run up asap if endurance is your issue. i wouldnt be just focusing on a 10k plan and leaving endurance until the marathon program begins

I think youre right, at the moment 8 miles LSR is a fair bit off the 12 i need to be at come week 1 of marathon training. Was down for speed work this Sunday but think i'll replace this with a 9 mile LSR. Last nights race was a decent pace so that should be my speed work for this week!

Last nights race was a decent pace so that should be my speed work for this week!

Exactly and fair play, great result!

• Advertisement

Decided to take a rest last night as i was still shattered from the XC on Wednesday. Tonight i'll do 3m easy and strength(40 mins). The rest of the weekend will be;

Sat 5m easy
    Sun 9m LSR

Will be collectin my new Garmin 305 this Sunday afternoon so i'll be able to know exactly what pace im running from Monday on!!

Quick Question for any of you that are attempting a sub 3 marathon (2 hr 45 to 3 hr);

What pace per mile would you do for the following? The plan i'll be following which i'll start May/Jun is based on the following workouts. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Recovery run
    LSR
    aerobic pace run
    lactic threshold pace run
    VO2 max pace run

Quick Question for any of you that are attempting a sub 3 marathon (2 hr 45 to 3 hr);

What pace per mile would you do for the following? The plan i'll be following which i'll start May/Jun is based on the following workouts. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Recovery run
    LSR
    aerobic pace run
    lactic threshold pace run
    VO2 max pace run

not aiming for that sort of time myself yet but check out tergats posts on the sub 3 support thread, also highly advised to get P & D advanced marathoning, well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I broke all copyright law, and re-posted your question on the sub-3 thread, along with my recent ball-park numbers.

I broke all copyright law, and re-posted your question on the sub-3 thread, along with my recent ball-park numbers.

You'll be hearing from my lawyer so... Just kidding, thanks!

Had a bad weekend running wise, missed my 9 mile LSR due to Saturday's excesses. Gona try hard this week to get back on the horse :rolleyes:

This week;

Mon 3 miles easy and some strength
    Tue 10 x 400m mile pace
    Wed Strength
    Thur 6 miles
    Fri Rest
    Sat BHAA Maynooth XC race 4 miles
    Sun 9 miles LSR

• Advertisement

Had a bad weekend running wise, missed my 9 mile LSR due to Saturday's excesses. Gona try hard this week to get back on the horse :rolleyes:

This week;

Tue 10 x 400m mile pace
    Wed Strength
    Thur 6 miles
    Fri Rest
    Sun 9 miles LSR

Had a nice 3 mile run last night. Decided that id cycle the mile to Sandymount and back so as to not be running on concrete. All my run would be done on grass/sand. It paid off as right now i dont feel any tiredness or soreness in the legs! Was the first session with my new toy - the Garmin 305 aswell. What a great pice of machinery!! I quickly realised that all my other recovery/easy runs were done at too quick a pace. It was tricky tryin run at 8 min miles, i kept knocking the pace down to 7.35ish. i'll learn..

Tonight i'll do 45 mins strength/core training and leave the sprints til tomorrow.

This week;

Tue 10 x 400m mile pace
    Wed Strength
    Thur 6 miles
    Fri Rest
    Sun 9 miles LSR

Feel that Im back on track now. With mondays easy, tuesdays strength and last nights 10 x 400(300 recovery) I feel that little bit extra fit. Was tough out there at the track yesterday, it seemed very muggy and i was sweating a little on the warm-up runs - never mind the speed work! Kept the chin up, was tempted to stop after 3 or 4 but kept plugging on. Could hardly catch my breath after the 10th run but was so relieved/happy when it was done! Down for 6 miles tonight - will probably do this at an 8 minute per mile pace coz of Saturday's bhaa xc race.

This week;

Tue 10 x 400m mile pace
    Wed Strength
    Thur 6 miles
    Fri Rest
    Sun 9 miles LSR

Thursdays 6 mile easy turned into a 4 miler instead. Cycled out to Sandymount and when I got there, i realised i left my bike lock at home! For a few seconds i considered leaving the bike on the grass and hoping that it would be there at the end. Common sense took over so i cycled back home, left the bike in and went running. 2 miles on concrete and 2 miles on grass/sand. Will count my earlier cycle as the missing 2 miles :rolleyes:.

Today is a rest day so should hopefully feel good tomorrow morning for the 4 mile Maynooth XC.

Had a good Saturday out at the XC 4 miles. Overall averaged 6 minute miles finishing in 24 minutes. Was so wrecked after, felt like i got a mild flu!! Didnt feel good from the start either so now idea how i finished in that time!!

This weeks madness;

Mon 9 miles LSR (coz i missed yesterdays LSR!)
    Tue Strength
    Wed 11 x 400m w 300m recovery
    Thur 3m run and strength
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3m run
    Sun 5m at 6 and a half minute mile pace

A lot in there, so hope it goes well :rolleyes:

This weeks madness;

Tue Strength
    Thur 3m run and strength
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3m run

Feel a bit sleepy this morning after last nights 9 miler. Completed it in 1 hour 10 mins which is what i was aiming for. Jogged a mile back home after it, so technically 10 miles :cool:. Will try not to ignore the LSR's from now on as its only a couple of months until i start my marathon program and i need to be up to 12 miles by then! Tonight i'll focus on strength excercises, about 45 minutes worth..

This weeks madness;

Tue Strength
    Thur 3m run and strength
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3m run

Legs are very stiff from the 9 miler on Monday and strength training last night. More because of the 9 miler though, legs arent used to the long runs yet. 1600m warm up, 11 x 400m with 300m recovery and 1200 warm down later, not sure how that will pan out with stiff calves/thighs!?!? Any chances of the muscles miracuously loosening up on the warm up?!

Also think i will change Sundays run to 9 miles with 3 at race pace in the middle. Might as well build on last Mondays LSR!

This weeks madness;

Tue Strength
    Thur 3m run and strength
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3m run

Had a dodgy stomach yesterday so did Thursdays 3 mile run at 8 minutes pace. Will do my Wednesday speed sessions tonight instead..Hope its not too busy at the track on thursdays!

This weeks madness;

Tue Strength
    Thur 3m run and strength
    Fri Rest
    Sat 3m run

Went to UCD track last night to do my 11 x 400 intervals. The second I arrived, the heavens opened! Reluctantly i decided to stay. Did 1600m warm up, the front calves felt so tight and the glutes werent much better. The first 2 speed sessions were the same and i was convinced that id never do 11 of em. Miraculously the pain disappeared and i continued on in the rain finishing all 11 and the a 1200m warm down and some stretches after. Was surprised at the amount of people out there, must have been 15 at least!

Gona skip Saturdays 3m run and replace it with a 5 aside astro match tonight. Wont be goin hell for leather though, will try to pace myself and rest where i can :rolleyes: Then can rest up on Saturday and hope to be fresh for Sunday where i'll do a 9 miler with 3 at potential marathon pace.

Fri 26 Mar: 5 aside astro footy. This was a good 1 hour workout. Lots of sprinting etc. Felt so stiff in the lower back and upper thighs on Saturday.
    Sat 27 Mar Rest. Was very sore/stiff so lucky that i wasnt down for anything!
    Sun 28th Mar: 3 miles recovery. Ran this at slightly less than 8 minutes per mile. Was supposed to do 9 miles with 3 at marathon pace but the back was so stiff that i swapped it for 3 miles that i was supposed to do this week. tonight i'll do the 9 miles instead :rolleyes:

This weeks plan is;

Mon 29th: 9 miles with 3 at marathon pave
    Tue: Strength and core conditioning
    Wed: 3 miles easy
    Thur: 11 x 400 with 300m recovery
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 3 miles easy
    Sun 4th Apr : 8k/5m at 10km race pace (6 mins per mile hopefully!!)

Only 3 weeks til Great Ireland 10k, hope i dont f"ck it up!!

• Advertisement

This weeks plan is;

Did Tuesday's strength and core conditioning last night instead of Monday's LSR. Got a good 45 mins of workout in the the comfort of my home! Was still stiff from fridays footy (dont know how that was possible) so a 9 mile LSR would have been tough. Feel a bit looser today, though the back of my upper legs slightly tight. Should be in better shape for an LSR tonight than last night!

This weeks plan is;

2 days late but i got my 9 miles with 3 at race pace done. The first 3 miles were at an average of 7 min 0 -20 sces. Miles 3 to 6 were done at 6 ins 25 to 6 mins 45 pace. This was tough. Maybe it was the sludgy grass, maybe it was the bit of wind or maybe it was the cold, but i struggled to keep pace. Maybe if i done those 3 mile on the road, the perceived effort would have been much less. Anyway I got through this and then the final 3 miles were at 7 to 7 min 20 secs pace.

Quick question for anyone attempting a marathon this year. When sections of your long runs are at marathon pace and you are doing this on grass, do you speed up to hit that pace or would you take a few seconds slower to take account for the fact you are on grass??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

2 days late but i got my 9 miles with 3 at race pace done. The first 3 miles were at an average of 7 min 0 -20 sces. Miles 3 to 6 were done at 6 ins 25 to 6 mins 45 pace. This was tough. Maybe it was the sludgy grass, maybe it was the bit of wind or maybe it was the cold, but i struggled to keep pace. Maybe if i done those 3 mile on the road, the perceived effort would have been much less. Anyway I got through this and then the final 3 miles were at 7 to 7 min 20 secs pace.

Quick question for anyone attempting a marathon this year. When sections of your long runs are at marathon pace and you are doing this on grass, do you speed up to hit that pace or would you take a few seconds slower to take account for the fact you are on grass??

I dont run on grass smmoore but i would imagine that you would go 10s a mile slower...thats what i would do anyway.

Sosa wrote: »
    I dont run on grass smmoore but i would imagine that you would go 10s a mile slower...thats what i would do anyway.

I was hoping you'd say 20 seconds a mile slower, but 10 will have to do!!!

This weeks plan is;

Got most of my runs done last week including 11 x 400m speed and 5 miles at 10km pace on UCD track (29 mins 2 secs). That was my fastest 5 miles but id say the track being completely flat helped! I'll be away for a long weekend this week so my training may suffer;

Mon Strength (Done)
    Tue 3 miles easy
    Wed 12 x 400m w/ 300m recovery
    Thur 6 m easy
    Fri to Sun (nothing but i may bring trainers with me!)

Need to get a 10 miler done before the Great Ireland on Sunday week so may do this on the Monday i get back.

Mon Strength (Done)
    Tue 3 miles easy
    Wed 12 x 400m w/ 300m recovery
    Thur 6 m easy
    Fri to Sun (nothing but i may bring trainers with me!)

Need to get a 10 miler done before the Great Ireland on Sunday week so may do this on the Monday i get back.

3 miles done last night. Legs felt a little tired especially the calves. Meant to be doing 12 x 400 tonight but will switch it to tomorrow as id say my legs need a night off..

First run last night in a week. Bloody stag weekend absolutely killed me! Ran 5 miles last night at average 6 mins 25 secs pace on sand and grass. Didnt hurt as much as i expected. Will probably do a couple of 3 milers before the national 10km this Sunday. Was aiming for 37 mins finish time but may have to reassess that goal due to the last week off...

18th Apr 2010, National 10km(6.2M), Phoenix park.

Didnt have the best preparation for this one. A hectic stag in Edinburgh absolutely knocked me for 6 and only really recovered on Wednesday. So last week I got 1 5 mile run at 6.30 pace as preparation. Hardly ideal. Decided to do this anyway and 'to hell with the result'. Got to the park at 12.15 with the OH and she rented a bicycle. So did my warm up jog with herself cycling alongside and giving me encouraging words! Did a few strides then. Started to actually feel good.

Then the race kicked off. It was real hussle bussle trying to get some space. Ran the first 3 miles at around 5.10 to 4.40 pace. I felt surprisingly good so far. Then mile 4.; a hill or 2 thrown in. My mile here dropped a little to 5.58. Still I was under 6 minute miles. Then the dreaded 5 mile which is a gradual hill for about half a mile. This started to hurt me. The Garmin was tellin me to push on but the legs were sayin 'slow down you fool'. Still, I was passin guys with club jerseys which encouraged me. Finished that mile in 6.10. A bit of a drop. The final mile was torture. My legs were drained from the hills and lack of training/last weekends exploits in Edinburgh. Why did I drink so much ?! Some guy cheering us on shouted 'Only 800m to go!', and i thought 'Oh jesus, not another 800m of this!'. Managed to get over the line and was panting like a female tennis player in full flight! Looked at my Garmin and it said 37 mins 2 secs. Was really pleased as I would have bitten a mans hand off beforehand for that result. But then the mind was thinking 'another 4/5 seconds and i would have been in 36 min country'. Still when i compare to last years result (39.5 mins) thats over 2 minutes better! So I have to be happy with that.

Now Im in no mans land. My 18 week marathon prep will start in Jun(i think, will have to check calender!) for Dublin so will have to get up to 12 miles LSR before then. So it'll be less on the speed work and more on the LSR's between now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great running, well done, you'll smash the 37min time next time out !

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    great running, well done, you'll smash the 37min time next time out !

Cheers, I hope so too!!

Advertisement