Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Supercell wrote: »
    My station record is under threat tonight. Record is -5.6°C , currently -5.1°C, t'isn't Tullow cold for sure, but i'm not sure if that ever is likely here given the geography.
    Its quite exciting in a nerdy way.

Annamoe will be cut off on Sunday night and that is for sure and so will all of Wicklow above 300 feet or 90 metres. It will be unreal.:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'd put that risk at more like 70% sa
    Looking good and worth pointing out that the 2 largest cities are in the firing line!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

How much snow should we expect in south Kilkenny on Sunday/Monday???

I'm not very good at reading the charts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

IrishHomer wrote: »
    From my experience and i can remember my grandad many years ago always said and i believe its true that in a time like this one we will have to get a good snowfall and then it may clear up things before we get out of this winter spell. :cool:

That's usually true when the Altantic wins out and pushes a depression across the country over the cold air resulting in a big snowfall followed by milder weather. This time it's different. The depression is coming from the continent, and it means business!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Neither am I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd put that risk at more like 70% sa
    Looking good and worth pointing out that the 2 largest cities are in the firing line!!

Woohoo!! Oh my god I am so excited! I just want to jump up and down and scream! If this is anything like 82 it'll be amazing! Well from what I've heard 82 was bad....course I wasn't born:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Several inches are possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

Chaps,

I'm supposed to be in Dublin tomorrow evening; Rathmines, to be exact. Will I be able to drive? I can leave anytime after 2pm. Am I kidding myself even trying?

Thanks.

However the BBC weather station is extremely unreliable and often off the mark. They have 4 or 5 degrees for Dublin on Sunday with snow whereas the maximum will be 1. It never snows anywhere at 5 degrees. It has not been 5 degrees in Dublin for over 5/6 weeks now!!:D:D:D:D

Several inches are possible.

What about Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ffarrell wrote: »
    Annamoe will be cut off on Sunday night and that is for sure and so will all of Wicklow above 300 feet or 90 metres. It will be unreal.:D:D:D:D:D

I'm not sure i want that or not, depends on alcohol supplies and boss mood.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

BBC has rain for Dublin on Sunday, snow showers Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Chaps,

I'm supposed to be in Dublin tomorrow evening; Rathmines, to be exact. Will I be able to drive? I can leave anytime after 2pm. Am I kidding myself even trying?

Thanks.

The N11 from Wicklow to Dublin is fine just take it easy on it someone else might be able to you a bit more

Wrong, it has snow both days but the temperatures are wrong..even in their own cities their temperatures ranges are well off!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Chaps,

Thanks.

If you do go for it leave at 2....

Roads aren't actually that bad at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

yogidc26 wrote: »
    The N11 from Wicklow to Dublin is fine just take it easy on it someone else might be able to you a bit more

Well, I'll be on the N9, actually.

There is no way on earth that there will be snow in Cork and not in Dublin (despite the tons we have already) next Sunday. Dublin is just a colder city.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

And looks like the poor old isle of man is going to miss it again gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

will the snow on sunday reach limerick do ye think? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Where is Weathercheck?

and DarkMan2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

ffarrell wrote: »
    Wrong, it has snow both days but the temperatures are wrong..even in their own cities their temperatures ranges are well off!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

I am due to fly out of Dublin early tomorrow morning and return late on Monday night.

I am now seriously tempted to cancel this - I don't want my return flight to be canceled nor do i want to get back to Dublin airport and be stuck there - I live in South Dublin.

I have a pregnant wife and a 2 year old who are staying in Dublin and I don't want to see them stranded alone in the house either.

Any comments from the more experienced people here? Am I mad to think of canceling?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Any chance of driving home (Dun Laoghaire) from Rathfarnham tomorrow night about 1? Or even of there being taxis on the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

will the snow on sunday reach limerick do ye think? ;)

Its possible yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

jjust back from work about an hour. Had car in underground carpark and there was no snow/water on the car. Snowed a bit in Donnybrook and the roof of the car is frozen and has snow!!

things are gonna be bad 2moro!! :mad:

Bring back the gulf stream now! novelty has warn off!!!! If only it was that simple :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

And looks like the poor old isle of man is going to miss it again gutted

what about the rest of the uk:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    My station record is under threat tonight. Record is -5.6°C , currently -5.1°C, t'isn't Tullow cold for sure, but i'm not sure if that ever is likely here given the geography.
    Its quite exciting in a nerdy way.
    I'm looking at my record low of both Air and grass
    -4C and -10C atm, -6.0C and -11.9C to beat. I still have snow cover which is aiding the temp fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Our flight was diverted to Belfast last night as Dublin airport had to close for a couple of hours. Given what is being forecast for Sunday/Monday I wouldn't risk it - you will probably end up in Belfast like we did!
    Benincasa wrote: »
    I am due to fly out of Dublin early tomorrow morning and return late on Monday night.

I am now seriously tempted to cancel this - I don't want my return flight to be canceled nor do i want to get back to Dublin airport and be stuck there - I live in South Dublin.

I have a pregnant wife and a 2 year old who are staying in Dublin and I don't want to see them stranded alone in the house either.

Any comments from the more experienced people here? Am I mad to think of canceling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Me, I'll wait til Saturday, then I'll look at the temperatures across continental Europe and that will give a good idea to how cold the airmass will be.
    I had my doubts about the last easterly on December 30 as I did not think Europe was cold enough to give us a snow event, and it didn't.
    But this coming easterly will be blowing of a colder and snow covered Europe, which it wasn't on Dec 30.
    Very marginal as usual!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement