Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Rougies wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but why did they use a cardboard cutout of John Gormley in that report? Did anyone else notice that!?!?

yeah! :D:confused: Was it a cardboard cutout or was it the man himself?!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

I can assure parts of the west did get quite a lot of snow, and Kerry mountain rescue have issued an avalanche warning as a result.[/quote]

I think the Kerry mountain rescue should go and rescue a few mountains before it gets any worse.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

ok... how much snow are we talking on sunday?? I have to travel from kells to ashbourne for 10am and will leave Ashbourne at 7pm... dont wanna get stuck there

Probably about this much....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63855135&postcount=1414

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Supercell wrote: »
    850's of -8 or 9 are not marginal here at all, if there is precip with those uppers its nailed on wintry. There is only so many snow days i can take before my boss starts to get pissed :(
    Hmm, I may stay with the folks down in Dublin if its still looking dodgy on Saturday, assuming I can get there.

Maybe before Saturday....

"The eastern half of Leinster will have further wintry showers during Saturday, many of them falling as snow inland, away from the Irish Sea."
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Met Eireann's website for Sunday & Monday:

"There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds."

• Advertisement

Where is Weathercheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
    850's of -8 or 9 are not marginal here at all, if there is precip with those uppers its nailed on wintry. There is only so many snow days i can take before my boss starts to get pissed
    Hmm, I may stay with the folks down in Dublin if its still looking dodgy on Saturday, assuming I can get there.

I'm not sure if you are welcome in Dublin any more!

Yea not after you stole Kippure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I think for once i'm actually too close to the coast for sunday/monday event! Probably just fall as rain or sleet here so not getting my hopes or my food stock up just yet.

Best chance for me seems to be tomorrow and saturday with showers from the irish sea 850 temps seem to be a bit better according to my very limited knowledge!

But who knows we could all have drifts up to our drainpipes come monday! :P

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Met Eireann's website for Sunday & Monday:

"There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds."

Remember thatll be on top of snow showers coming Friday and Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wicklow is Irelands cold spot tonight looking on the IRWN meso map, BB and myself have the coldest stations. probably the most snow too.
    Hup Wickla!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Wicklow is Irelands cold spot tonight looking on the IRWN meso map, BB and myself have the coldest stations. probably the most snow too.
    Hup Wickla!!
    colder than a snowmans cold bits here alright:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Met Eireann outlook mentions heavy snow and drifting for Sunday and Monday. And this is still several days away so their confidence must be high in this falling as snow and not rain.

must be. because obviously if they get this one wrong it will be nothing compared to the fallout over the snowfall that wasn't in Donegal a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hup Wickla!!

Just got a text from my cousin who lives in Dunlavin and he says that the roads are extremely treacherous down there.

I'm not sure if you are welcome in Dublin any more! ;)
    Coyote wrote: »
    Yea not after you stole Kippure :P

The aul fella is getting on, he won't know the difference or care about the blasphemous claim of Kippure ownership :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

...... blasphemous claim of Kippure ownership :D

Good! You'll probably bounce back to where you came off all the Dublin Mountain snow drifts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey guys can I just ask in your opinion what are the chances of cork city gettin significant snowfall from this event? I've been looking at charts on net weather and looks good but you never know with the south coast:rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

The aul fella is getting on, he won't know the difference or care about the blasphemous claim of Kippure ownership :D

It's not him you should be worried about ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.winter1947.co.uk/

Most of you have probably seen this site.

This is the definitive site IMO about that famous winter. Just to see what we are comparing with. Mostly UK centred but all the Irish stations are featured -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Heavy rain here for the first time in 3 weeks, falling on ice though...

leahyl wrote: »
    Hey guys can I just ask in your opinion what are the chances of cork city gettin significant snowfall from this event? I've been looking at charts on net weather and looks good but you never know with the south coast:rolleyes:!

I have had 2 phone calls from people who said that on the radio they are advising stockpiling and the army has already been drafted in to cope with large snowfall expected over the weekend in Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipp.

Not sure I believe it meself.

• Advertisement

My station record is under threat tonight. Record is -5.6°C , currently -5.1°C, t'isn't Tullow cold for sure, but i'm not sure if that ever is likely here given the geography.
    Its quite exciting in a nerdy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It looked fairly widespread, precip almost everywhere, eastern and southern half probably with the heaviest it seemed. Too far off though and could still easily just be rain or miss us completely by that time.
    ......could easily just be rain- my very own thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

GavinH wrote: »
    Folks looking at the latest sat run. Whats all that stuff moving in way up in the north west of the pic.

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

anyone? Is it anything, its moving pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ch750536 wrote: »
    I have had 2 phone calls from people who said that on the radio they are advising stockpiling and the army has already been drafted in to cope with large snowfall expected over the weekend in Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipp.

Not sure I believe it meself.

Are you serious?! That would be unreal if it were to happen... So a good chance of snow perhaps?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

From my experience and i can remember my grandad many years ago always said and i believe its true that in a time like this one we will have to get a good snowfall and then it may clear up things before we get out of this winter spell. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The latest ECMWF Guidance shows just why Met Eireann are concerned at this early stage. Large areas of both the south and the east of the country are at risk should this verify. It is however only a risk at the moment, as indicated below.

18.00 Sunday

Precipitation

100107_1200_78.png

850mb Temperatures

100107_1200_78.png

00.00 Monday

Precipitation

100107_1200_84.png

850mb Temperatures

100107_1200_84.png

06.00 Monday

Precipitation

100107_1200_90.png

850mb Temperatures

100107_1200_90.png

Summary

For once, I don't think much analysis is necessary on the above charts because everyone can quite clearly see the potential from them. In addition, it should be stressed that we are still 72 Hours away from this event, much can change in that time, but the preliminary indications do suggest the potential for a significant event to take place later during the coming weekend & into Monday.

At the moment, I would put the risk at about 45%

Also, just a note about the Atlantic not making it back in on the latest ECWMF evolution, this chart shows quite clearly the Battleground setups that can develop, with a cold pool persisting over Ireland & an area of low pressure directly to the south of hte country:

100107_1200_132.png

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think(using local knowledge) that Sunday sees Cork with a great chance. The crucial thing is the wind being more east than southeast as this cuts down sea modification. By early next week though the wind swings much more southeast which will make it more marginal.
    Having said that the cold is so entrenched that we may even see snow from a southeasterly

So to sum up, yes for Sunday and lots of it possible.
    Early next week marginal but still possible

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

http://homepage.eircom.net/~greenst/blizzardof47.html

have a look at this, some pics of the snow in 1947;)

hope we get something like this on sunday:pac::eek::P:o:(

• Advertisement

Are you serious?! That would be unreal if it were to happen... So a good chance of snow perhaps?:D

Its for real.

Soldiers will be made available to help with general emergency transportation of foodstuffs, medicines, goods and personnel while air patrols are also being put on standby.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/army-on-standby-as-grit-supplies-dwindle-441108.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement