Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

wushu wrote: »
    4 miles if you have to walk back 2!!

Ah Bo*&^%x :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Out of interest, did Gormley actually say they 'couldn't find' Dempsey? Extraordinary if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

recession every where in Ireland and while north leitrim may not have cash for luxuries, we have plenty money for our snow shield!!!the minute Gerry's chart came on i was glued and each seg that passed showed our shield working hard!!! :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Villain wrote: »
    Can't see it been too marginal inland maybe on the Coast alright

I dunno, winds will be SE going by the current charts. I just have horrible memories of the new years snow even that gave 48 hours of heavy heavy sleet here. That totally sucked.

That said England and Wales have effectively 100% snow coverage by now which should help.

These events really are nowcasts, impossible to be confidant at less than t+24 or less.

The next 24 hours looks bad/good enough here :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

jenzz wrote: »
    Ah Bo*&^%x :mad:
    lol sorry for pointing that out :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

linguist wrote: »
    Out of interest, did Gormley actually say they 'couldn't find' Dempsey? Extraordinary if he did.

No, when asked where Dempsey was, he said he didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Very well put there Maq :)

There will be a rise in 850mb temperatures, but with snowcover and an embedded cold pool at lower levels, these factors are often very important in determining the type of precipitation. We will have to await the 850mb temperatures but if we look through historical charts & analogues, it is events such as these that give a huge dumping of snow.

Equally, as you say though, this could change in subsequent runs.

SA :)

Can you say... '1947' ? :D Plenty of examples from that year, and since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Freezing Fog here in Waterford City with a Temp of -1.3c. No DP reading from my sensor, Guess its just too damp with the fog. Not a night to be out driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

linguist wrote: »

Think he said he didnt know where he was.... close to the same thing!

He did call it. No mention of rain at all for Sunday, just "significant sleet and snow".

Sunday is also the day the country runs out of grit.

Man alive...

No he said precipitation that may be sleet or snow ..the precipitation bit really sticks in my mind.
    Its too early to call with confidence imho.
    Even here I'm not confidant enough to start stocking up - if we get much more here we will truly be stranded - i saw a local farmer with a tractor with snow chains pulling another tractor along. It IS really that bad.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Slightly off topic, but why did they use a cardboard cutout of John Gormley in that report? Did anyone else notice that!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann outlook mentions heavy snow and drifting for Sunday and Monday. And this is still several days away so their confidence must be high in this falling as snow and not rain.

Also, looks like Saturday alone might be similar to what we got yesterday for the east and southeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

If that snow comes to pass you can kiss next week goodbye as far as work is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Supercell wrote: »
    Gerry was careful to say precipitation on Sunday which may be wintry. Its going to be marginal as ever.

He is being careful in his wording because everyone is so focused on the weather at the moment that if he said it was a guaranteed snowfall event panic could even ensure in some areas at this point!

For what it's worth, UKMO Guidance has 850mb temperatures of -8 to -9 at T+72, with the precipitation well inland over the southern half of the country. At the very edge of coastal areas it could always be marginal, but if it doesn't snow in 850mb temperatures like those I don't know what to say. He said falls of sleet and snow, they are threading very carefully at the moment.

However, they obviously foresee significant potential to have updated their online forecast and mention drifting and heavy snowfall & to be warning of a potential event 3+ Days out.

This of course could all very possibly downgrade but it will be very serious if it develops as modelled this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Ok guys big news from France. The Meteo France site is saturated at the moment. It is re-rerouting to a simplified weather alert site. Major snow that started in the Pyrenees region is spreading north and north east and gaining in intensity. The eastern flank is under an orange alert. I reckon that means a really cold airmass blowing up towards us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Rougies wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but why did they use a cardboard cutout of John Gormley in that report? Did anyone else notice that!?!?

:DLOL...........someone was protesting!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So I guess it's safe to say that the Eagles "polar low" amounted to nothing more than a bit of dark cloud that spoiled the otherwise lovely shunshine.

Mods, this is all your fault for making this thread the official cold spell - snow watch thread, chapter xyz.

Ye jinxed it!

:mad:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

I missed the rte forecast, what areas did he say will be most affected on Sunday/Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

so has the front which was supposed to pass along the west coast broken up or is just arriving later than expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Maybe its the cardboard cutout that will be in charge of the co-ordination of the emergency response... well at least I feel a bit more confident now that it may not actually be Gormally himself! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Because a Cardboard Gormley is about as useful as minister Gormley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

6034073ya i seen that was he sapose to be there

:DLOL...........someone was protesting!!!!

Ah. I see. I wasn't listening. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

naughto wrote: »

6034073ya i seen that was he sapose to be there

Are you owenc in disguise? ;)

Snowaddict wrote: »
    He is being careful in his wording because everyone is so focused on the weather at the moment that if he said it was a guaranteed snowfall event panic could even ensure in some areas at this point!

For what it's worth, UKMO Guidance has 850mb temperatures of -8 to -9 at T+72, with the precipitation well inland over the southern half of the country. At the very edge of coastal areas it could always be marginal, but if it doesn't snow in 850mb temperatures like those I don't know what to say. He said falls of sleet and snow, they are threading very carefully at the moment.

However, they obviously foresee significant potential to have updated their online forecast and mention drifting and heavy snowfall & to be warning of a potential event 3+ Days out.

This of course could all very possibly downgrade but it will be very serious if it develops as modelled this evening.

850's of -8 or 9 are not marginal here at all, if there is precip with those uppers its nailed on wintry. There is only so many snow days i can take before my boss starts to get pissed :(
    Hmm, I may stay with the folks down in Dublin if its still looking dodgy on Saturday, assuming I can get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

ffarrell wrote: »
    In parts of West Dublin we have had 12 centimetres plus and in parts of Low lying Wicklow 20 cm plus....What are you talking about??? Wet snow in Mayo??? By the way Metres in the Dublin Moutains like Alps..West never gets that and this is often the cast in Dublin Moutains..same as last year:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3foot is a metre!
    [/QUOTE]

I can assure parts of the west did get quite a lot of snow, and Kerry mountain rescue have issued an avalanche warning as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

danni2 wrote: »
    I missed the rte forecast, what areas did he say will be most affected on Sunday/Monday?

It looked fairly widespread, precip almost everywhere, eastern and southern half probably with the heaviest it seemed. Too far off though and could still easily just be rain or miss us completely by that time.

Supercell wrote: »
    850's of -8 or 9 are not marginal here at all, if there is precip with those uppers its nailed on wintry. There is only so many snow days i can take before my boss starts to get pissed :(
    Hmm, I may stay with the folks down in Dublin if its still looking dodgy on Saturday, assuming I can get there.

I'm not sure if you are welcome in Dublin any more! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

ok... how much snow are we talking on sunday?? I have to travel from kells to ashbourne for 10am and will leave Ashbourne at 7pm... dont wanna get stuck there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Very light precip dancing in the wind here now in Terenure. But I cant see it on the radars :confused:
    Edit : must be ice crystals condensing out of the air. It's absolutely fascinating. Temp -3.7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement