Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I think most people dont understand the sheer amount of snow that we might be facing in a few days time. Question is, will the charts stick with this and will the precip fall as snow...

Very well put there Maq :)

There will be a rise in 850mb temperatures, but with snowcover and an embedded cold pool at lower levels, these factors are often very important in determining the type of precipitation. We will have to await the 850mb temperatures but if we look through historical charts & analogues, it is events such as these that give a huge dumping of snow.

Equally, as you say though, this could change in subsequent runs.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

What areas of the country are at most risk in coming days? East, NW etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

He's just trolling. Ignore him.

This thread moving very fast now, that was pages ago he said that, but I got distracted halfway through my reply

Already forgotten...:)

I'm pinning some serious hopes on a bit more snow for Dublin over next few days. I've been walking to work today and probably tomorrow and I reckon a few cm's more will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Looking for a "duvet day" or three.

Someone give me good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

East, Southeast and South

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think today was the coldest day in Dublin for decades. According to met.ie both casement and dublin airport were -4c/-3c at 13:00 hrs. certainly felt very cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

"The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds."

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'd say the east and southeast and parts of east munster would get the worst of it. west munster and connacht would get the leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Yeah, there was only a risk that it could have moved inland a bit, it looks like its not posing much of a threat now.

Its 1C here (Limerick) with a very light fog. I don't think anything will happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I think most people dont understand the sheer amount of snow that we might be facing in a few days time. Question is, will the charts stick with this and will the precip fall as snow...

if they were to stay as you see them what do you estimate???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Fair play to RTE mentioning England drawing the cricket, that was some match! Im being serious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

snaps wrote: »
    Look mate im not anti you , but your coming out with some crap. 2cms of snow? Did you watch sky news yesterday? most of the south of England had 10cms+. Us in Ireland, including NIreland have nothing like they've had.

3foot is a metre!

He's either trolling or just plain thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

owenc wrote: »
    sorry refrase that lol much of england is covered in 2cm of snow and thousands of schools are shut! meanwhile ni is covered in 10cm of snow 2/3 foot on hills and thousands of schools and offices are open!:mad:
    Well south east England were badly hit anyway, they closed Gatwick airport which was were I was going to that's why my flight was cancelled, maybe other parts got 2cm(werever you got that from) of snow but south and southeastern areas got a over a foot of snow in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Regarding schools, can I put on my teacher's hat and make a couple of points? There are big issues regarding the opening of schools. The health and safety of the children is paramount. Most schools are located in fairly residential areas and the routes children take to them are not gritted. School grounds have to be kept ice free as well, and schools face the same problems as everyone else in terms of getting salt. In rural areas, kids depend on Bus Eireann services and if these don't run, the schools really can't open.

Secondly, there are the usual private sector voices trying to stir up the old public sector laziness thing which is rubbish in this context. Work in schools is done in classrooms according to a timetable and the presence of teachers and students. If large numbers of these can't get there, the place can't function. Anyway, back to the weather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

In parts of West Dublin we have had 12 centimetres plus and in parts of Low lying Wicklow 20 cm plus....What are you talking about??? Wet snow in Mayo??? By the way Metres in the Dublin Moutains like Alps..West never gets that and this is often the cast in Dublin Moutains..same as last year:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3foot is a metre![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Folks looking at the latest sat run. Whats all that stuff moving in way up in the north west of the pic.

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

sssshhhhhhhhhhh

Gerry's on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

this forum will be hopping sunday night it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

anyone watching the end of rte new there had pics of the snow but in the middle of it had a video they landed a helicopter at the cross road at the top of Sally Gap :D snow up as high as the stop sign :eek: i might head home the weekend for a look at that!

I think he's just called it for Sunday. This could be epic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gerry was careful to say precipitation on Sunday which may be wintry. Its going to be marginal as ever.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Supercell wrote: »
    Gerry was careful to say precipitation on Sunday which may be wintry. Its going to be marginal as ever.
    Can't see it been too marginal inland maybe on the Coast alright

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Supercell wrote: »

Is that what you think from looking at the charts ? or a gut feeling ?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

The first winter I lived in Boston we got 10', that's right 3+ metres of snow in less than 3 months..... glorious...

And stuff closed maybe, maybe 2-3 times that entire winter... including all buses and the T (subway).

The funny thing is, every year the exact same thing happened, they blew their winter snow clearing budget by the second week of Jan and then spent the remander of the winter paying private contractors through the nose...

Every winter...

This is how gov't. works... and I am a fan of government, it's just that this stuff is always on the bottom of everyone's To Do lists when budgets are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

linguist wrote: »

He did call it. No mention of rain at all for Sunday, just "significant sleet and snow".

Sunday is also the day the country runs out of grit.

Man alive...

You could see the sweat rising and he started galloping as soon as he got closer to Sunday. I agree Gerry just called it:D:D

Right Uggs on - Ive to walk 2 mile to Tesco....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Gerry Murphy just jumped on the Snowmaggedon rollercoaster for Sunday/Monday. This could be epic if it comes off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Regarding schools, can I put on my teacher's hat and make a couple of points? There are big issues regarding the opening of schools. The health and safety of the children is paramount. Most schools are located in fairly residential areas and the routes children take to them are not gritted. School grounds have to be kept ice free as well, and schools face the same problems as everyone else in terms of getting salt. In rural areas, kids depend on Bus Eireann services and if these don't run, the schools really can't open.

Secondly, there are the usual private sector voices trying to stir up the old public sector laziness thing which is rubbish in this context. Work in schools is done in classrooms according to a timetable and the presence of teachers and students. If large numbers of these can't get there, the place can't function. Anyway, back to the weather...

I think a few days off school due to snow is great for the kids, especially if they have the opportunity to go out and play in the snow, building snowmen, having snowball fights and sledding. I know it causes headaches for the parents who then have to take the day off work, but it gives parents exta time to spend with their children. Education is key, but a few great memories of the winter of 09/10 with Mum and Dad in the snow will last them a lifetime too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Will it be '82 or '47 maybe.

Snow on south easterly winds. Low over France. Must have a look at what Meteo France are saying. It's the temperature of that air mass that could make all the difference I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

jenzz wrote: »
    You could see the sweat rising and he started galloping as soon as he got closer to Sunday. I agree Gerry just called it:D:D

Right Uggs on - Ive to walk 2 mile to Tesco....:mad:
    4 miles if you have to walk back 2!!:rolleyes: but yea he was looking a bit worried about sundays events and I dont blame him :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement