Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

This is working now - not sure if it's the new version of the app that showed up this morning or a change on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

louis91 wrote: »
    somtime back i had read about a nexus one app. with which you can view your laptop/comp. webcam on your nexus one. but i forgot the name of the app. Does anyone know whats the name of the app.? :confused:

Thanks,
    I use 'securet spycam'

search?q=pname:com.dooblou.SECuRETSpyCamBETA

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superhoopess

hey everyone bit of help please!!!
    not as clued i as the rest of you all so any help would be great.

im am off to chicago on 30th of april.
    1.where do i order phone from?
    2.will i be able to just pop my 3 sim into it and away i go?
    3.anything else i should be wary of?

thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

hey everyone bit of help please!!!
    not as clued i as the rest of you all so any help would be great.

im am off to chicago on 30th of april.
    1.where do i order phone from?
    2.will i be able to just pop my 3 sim into it and away i go?
    3.anything else i should be wary of?

thanks for any help.

Order it from here: http://www.google.com/phone/?hl=en&s7e=

You'll be able to order it whilst over there as you'll be using a US ISP. Ship it to your hotel. Alternatively you could try using an ISP shield here and order it here the day before you go and get it shipped to your hotel.

Just pop your 3 sim in and away you go,i'm on 3 and everything works perfect. Be careful if you start using it over there,the phone is data intensive if you enable everything on it so you'll get hit for serious roaming charges.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Order it from here: http://www.google.com/phone/?hl=en&s7e=

You'll be able to order it whilst over there as you'll be using a US ISP. Ship it to your hotel. Alternatively you could try using an ISP shield here and order it here the day before you go and get it shipped to your hotel.

Just pop your 3 sim in and away you go,i'm on 3 and everything works perfect. Be careful if you start using it over there,the phone is data intensive if you enable everything on it so you'll get hit for serious roaming charges.

thanks so much, put my mind at ease as to how easy it will be be.
    cant wait now!!!
    and thanks for the usage tip.

• Advertisement

wheni buy it there it gives 2 options to buy with at and t or t mobile for $529 which should i go for?

wheni buy it there it gives 2 options to buy with at and t or t mobile for $529 which should i go for?

There should be an option to buy it unlocked with no network. Should cost $529 but you're not tied to any network.

Just had a look at it,select the AT&T option in my opinion,covers the 3 bands that'll you need.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

My brother seems to think this will be released in Ireland next week. Could it coincide with the April release of the Legend and Desire on vodafone in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

So far I've not seen specific indication as to when they'll be available to regions other than the 4 initial countries - sometime in April is about as specific as I've seen. So yeah - it could well be next week or we may have to wait a bit longer.

However I doubt if it'll intentionally be to coincide with the Legend & Desire in the UK. Remember this is Google themselves releasing the phone - not Vodafone/some other carrier. Yes they've said they'll offer to bundle it with Vodafone contracts but it will most likely only be available online as it is now - i.e. it won't be Vodafone selling it. And google themselves haven't exactly been aggressive with selling it to date so can't see the launch of two more android phones changing that too much.

EDIT: Forgot the small fact that the N1 is already available in the UK. All that's missing is the option to bundle a vf contract with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Following this thread I ordered the Nexus One and have to say I LOVE IT. I posted a quick how to guide on my site for anyone that is interested in ordering it. http://willdeasy.com/?p=143

center15 wrote: »
    Following this thread I ordered the Nexus One and have to say I LOVE IT. I posted a quick how to guide on my site for anyone that is interested in ordering it. http://willdeasy.com/?p=143

Ouch on the customs charge! Did they send it by courier(Fedex/UPS)?

Ouch on the customs charge! Did they send it by courier(Fedex/UPS)?

I know :( and it arrived a month after the phone! €30 customs and €10 admin free. FedEx the pricks! I think it can only be 50euro and marked as gift to get no tax. I had it marked $150 and gift. I don't think you'd get away with marking it lower though!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the firmware on one bought from usa and one bought through the uk?

Loggie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a difference in the firmware on one bought from usa and one bought through the uk?

They are now identical I believe as multi touch was added in the US a month or so back.

I know :( and it arrived a month after the phone! €30 customs and €10 admin free. FedEx the pricks! I think it can only be 50euro and marked as gift to get no tax. I had it marked $150 and gift. I don't think you'd get away with marking it lower though!

For some reason stuff arriving through An Post seems to avoid the customs charge most of the time compared to Fedex etc. I bought mine through Ebay from the states and got it through An Post charge free.

They are now identical I believe as multi touch was added in the US a month or so back.

There was an OTA update last month which added multi-touch. Fortunately updates for the Nexus One are not network dependent so all N1 owners get it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

For some reason stuff arriving through An Post seems to avoid the customs charge most of the time compared to Fedex etc. I bought mine through Ebay from the states and got it through An Post charge free.

What ebay seller did you buy that off?

I have a chance of getting one from hong kong (a genuine one). I hope it will have the same firmware as the other 3 markets. Is it possible that each of these test markets would have the same firmware?

I have a chance of getting one from hong kong (a genuine one). I hope it will have the same firmware as the other 3 markets. Is it possible that each of these test markets would have the same firmware?

To the best of my knowledge it's the exact same handset no matter where you buy it from. They're all shipped from California from what i can gather.

• Advertisement

To the best of my knowledge it's the exact same handset no matter where you buy it from. They're all shipped from California from what i can gather.
    With a bit of luck they're all the same. Would that mean all devices would get any updates together?
    Hopefully I will have mine on monday.

Beno wrote: »
    What ebay seller did you buy that off?

The Ebay seller i bought it from hasn't got anything listed for sale. However,when i Googled the paypal name on my credit card statement it turned out to be this crowd : http://www.voloxcellular.com/default.asp. Doesn't have anything about international shipping on their site but mine was posted from them in New York on a Friday and i received it on the following Wednesday through USPS express international mail.

Might be worth emailing them and asking.

With a bit of luck they're all the same. Would that mean all devices would get any updates together?
    Hopefully I will have mine on monday.

Yeah,when the first OTA update went out everyone got it within a 3/4 day time frame no matter where they live.

Yeah,when the first OTA update went out everyone got it within a 3/4 day time frame no matter where they live.
    Thanks very much, lord lucan, for all your information.

Is anyone using a screen protector with the nexus one?

Haven't bothered myself. I just leave it in the little pouch that comes with it when i'm out and about. I've just ordered this though,https://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4963&t_mode=des,for better protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I got one off ebay for about 5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Found a way to get market apps. If you go on to one if the british service providers and get a uk sim card. Some are free. Stick it in your nexus and connect to wifi and when you open up the market you should have paid apps

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Is it possible to use the N1 as a Bluetooth or USB Modem with Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

PH4T wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the N1 as a Bluetooth or USB Modem with Vodafone?

Yes, if you root your Nexus phone.
    You could install this ROM which include Wifi and cable tethering (and many more goodies!):
    http://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/301777/30-mar-r13-modaco-custom-rom-for-nexus-one-with-online-kitchen-htc-cime/

Advertisement