Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

JohnK wrote: »
    I've not noticed any issues with 3G as the signal is quite bad where I live anyway but I have had problems with the touch screen. Not that its unresponsive but that its inaccurate as to where your pressing, roughly by the height of a home screen icon. Happens quite often and to be honest its begining to piss me off a bit.

Same here, happens regularily enough. Worst case happened yesterday, where the screen was effectively unresponsive all over. Nothing operated as it should have. That said though I discovered that locking and then unlocking the screen seems to reset it and it then functions as per normal. It's definitely a software issue, so as long as there are no major hardware defects I think I can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've been on the Google forums and they're hopping with people complaining about touchscreen problems (is unresponsive after it's booted up) and 3g problems.
    Those people are obviously really displeased with google etc. and seem to think all N1s have these problems, but I'm wondering does it just seem that way because mostly people with problems go on that forum.
    Have any of you (lucky individuals) who already have the phone had these problems (or others)?

I've had no issues with 3g at all. The N1 can take a minute or two to get going after turning it on,that's happened a few times to me when i've shut it off overnight. Not a big deal to be honest. Touchscreen has been fine otherwise.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

I have the nexus one about two weeks. It isn't rooted and not loaded with many apps but I have those touchscreen problems. The apps I have loaded seem to be the common ones like chompsms, touiteur, barcode scanner, astro, 3g watchdog, shazam and a few others which all seem well regarded. The screen does become inaccurate and also unresponsive 4/5 times a day and not because of the amount of apps running at the same time because i kept an eye on this. I'm not sure what causes this unresponsiveness. I'd touch the screen on say a contact to select it and the screen would scroll down a couple of pages of contacts. Other times nothing seems to register. Hitting the power button sorts this out but is a bit of a pain. When its working correctly is brilliant.
    I'm on 3 but sometimes I can't access any data, the 3g icon with the updown arrows is visible, the signal meter would have 1-2 bars. This was around Tallaght area so the 3g signal I presume would be decent enough. It sometimes seems to struggle to get a 3g signal. (Using 2g only is not ticked) Was wondering if this is this a 3 network issue and would this phone be better on network like o2 with 3g and edge?
    Should a 3g or H icon appear in the actual signal meter icon when HSDPA available or just 3g with updown arrows?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Loggie wrote: »
    I have the nexus one about two weeks. It isn't rooted and not loaded with many apps but I have those touchscreen problems. The apps I have loaded seem to be the common ones like chompsms, touiteur, barcode scanner, astro, 3g watchdog, shazam and a few others which all seem well regarded. The screen does become inaccurate and also unresponsive 4/5 times a day and not because of the amount of apps running at the same time because i kept an eye on this. I'm not sure what causes this unresponsiveness. I'd touch the screen on say a contact to select it and the screen would scroll down a couple of pages of contacts. Other times nothing seems to register. Hitting the power button sorts this out but is a bit of a pain. When its working correctly is brilliant.
    I'm on 3 but sometimes I can't access any data, the 3g icon with the updown arrows is visible, the signal meter would have 1-2 bars. This was around Tallaght area so the 3g signal I presume would be decent enough. It sometimes seems to struggle to get a 3g signal. (Using 2g only is not ticked) Was wondering if this is this a 3 network issue and would this phone be better on network like o2 with 3g and edge?
    Should a 3g or H icon appear in the actual signal meter icon when HSDPA available or just 3g with updown arrows?

I've mine on 3 too and generally the 3g signal is pretty good though on occasion it tends to go onto 'roaming' for some strange reason. I notice if no 3g signal is being received it won't display a data symbol but it does if it's on Edge,a little E symbol appears(never been on Edge in Ireland yet though.)

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've mine on 3 too and generally the 3g signal is pretty good though on occasion it tends to go onto 'roaming' for some strange reason. I notice if no 3g signal is being received it won't display a data symbol but it does if it's on Edge,a little E symbol appears(never been on Edge in Ireland yet though.)
    Yeah noticed the R for roaming a bit alright. I thought that where it would display the R that it would be replaced by either 3g or H when available. Being with 3 I'm not sure what it should show because if no 3g it roams to vodafone i think and so no data access. Contract up with 3 so thinking about o2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

You are roaming on Vodafone when you are on their 2G network, if you are a 3 subscriber. You will see the "R" then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

Ah so these problems are quite widespread! I'm surprised I haven't heard more about these problems!
    I think I'll wait for the next update to see if they've been resolved... or maybe just go for another iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Have had mine about 2 months. 3G has Bennet pretty grand to be fair. Displays 3G symbol when connected and a single G when on GPRS I assume? I'm on Vodafone. It displays R only when out of the country.

Have had some issues with touchscreen. Never fully unresponsive but when browsing jumps to wrong location and if you hold phone at sides or in certain way touchscreen is all over the shop.

Overall I love my N1 and glad I ditched 3GS for it. I also have the black marks on Teflon on bottom. Has always been in pouch from day one. Think its pouch that causes this!!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

If you root your phone can you install paid apps for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

No you can't install paid apps for free but you can install apps created by developers from the xdadevelopers site and there are also specific apps on the marketplace for rooted phones also. You can also install custom ROMS of which some are better than the stock ROM, check out cyanogen which includes great modified tweaks and apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

What is it about the apps from xdadevelopers that requires the phone to be rooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I've been on the Google forums and they're hopping with people complaining about touchscreen problems (is unresponsive after it's booted up) and 3g problems.
    Those people are obviously really displeased with google etc. and seem to think all N1s have these problems, but I'm wondering does it just seem that way because mostly people with problems go on that forum.
    Have any of you (lucky individuals) who already have the phone had these problems (or others)?

Been using mine for a week now, automatically setup up APN, MMS etc for Vodafone IE, no problems with 3G or screen etc, however not using stock ROM, have CyangenMod rom on it instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

Despite my message this morning saying I would wait for the next update to see if the problems were fixed I went ahead and bought one! Some people have no sense!
    Skearon, glad to hear you're not having problems. What exactly does that mean that your not using the stock ROM etc. Does that mean that your warranty has been voided?

If its rooted then technically the warranty is voided as per HTC terms. As fas as I know a blue unlock icon is displayed on bootup each time to indicate that it has been rooted....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

Root it, it really is worth it. The stock ROM does not use all the N1 hardware capabilities.
    Check out the link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=612858

If the device is rooted it does not mean the stock rom "only" is exclusive to updates. XDA continue to support custom ROMs with any issues. Try Cyangen site also for updates on ROM issues....You can also PM the developers when registered. Hope this helps.

Despite my message this morning saying I would wait for the next update to see if the problems were fixed I went ahead and bought one! Some people have no sense!
    Skearon, glad to hear you're not having problems. What exactly does that mean that your not using the stock ROM etc. Does that mean that your warranty has been voided?

Modaco has the HTC desire rom you could install after rooting. Have the best of nexus one and htc sense in one device. Cyanogen has cool extras for the nexus one rom.
    Rooting invalidates warranty and has a permanent lock symbol on the boot screen only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/google-maps-navigation-4-1-1-beta-now-working-on-uk-androids/

Working for me :)

Search for something in Google Maps, then hit the name, tap the arrow icon and choose Navigate.

Hi all,
    Has anyone here rooted an N1 brought in from the states that is unlocked?? I have been chatting with a mate and he reckons that if you root and don't mess with the baseband that it wont display the blue unlock logo on startup? Mine and his are both unlocked from USA so the baseband wont need to be touched? Maybe when you root the baseband is changed??

If we root will we still get this blue unlock icon each time we start up our phones? I'm just confused about this.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

Baza210 wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/google-maps-navigation-4-1-1-beta-now-working-on-uk-androids/

Search for something in Google Maps, then hit the name, tap the arrow icon and choose Navigate.

Really? Cause I'm having all sorts of problems. I've tried everything and I can't get it sorted. Whats worse is that I can't find google maps in the market. It loads up google earth and google sky maps etc but not plain google maps! WTF?

trippyrez wrote: »
    Really? Cause I'm having all sorts of problems. I've tried everything and I can't get it sorted. Whats worse is that I can't find google maps in the market. It loads up google earth and google sky maps etc but not plain google maps! WTF?

Erm, maps is already installed on all Nexus Ones...

• Advertisement

I know its preloaded but I can't find Nav in it and one of the solutions on the help forums is to uninstall updates and reinstall it etc which I can't do.

I know my way around this phone and believe me there is something not right here.

UPDATE

I got my phone at the GSMA in Barcelona in Feb. Someone just told me that it's possible that it's a special pre release euro version that somethings just can't be changed on. Still annoying.

Nice one Baza. Works on my rooted nexus and cyanogen.
    As Baza said all you have to do on Google maps is: "Search for something in Google Maps, then hit the name, tap the arrow icon and choose Navigate". Maps version I have is 4.1.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I got v4.1.1 and the navigate option is there now for Ireland.

It probably will work for all versions where "navigate" came in (v3.4.0 i believe), so most likely you wont need to upgrade to see this option. It all depends on the addresses you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Shouldn't this be moved to the new subforum?

I still dont have it. I checked the Google Maps verison on my Nexus One and it says 3.4.0 (3414). Did you guys need to update it or did it do it automatically?

madmoe wrote: »
    I still dont have it. I checked the Google Maps verison on my Nexus One and it says 3.4.0 (3414). Did you guys need to update it or did it do it automatically?
    Reboot the phone.

Worked for me but I'm on a HTC Desire.

I was in maps and then all of a sudden the phone rebooted\crashed?? Had hoped new verison would be there when it came back up but alas its not :-(

SlashGear wrote:
    Google are tipped to be already testing the newest build of Android, “Froyo” 2.2, on devices, with a release predicted to coincide with the Google I/O developer conference on May 19th. Android and Me sifted through their visitor records and turned up numerous logs for Android 2.2. devices; they also apparently heard from separate sources that Google are indeed trialling the updated software, prior to an OTA firmware update for the Nexus One. Among the changes expected are multi-color trackball notifications, more available RAM to the user, and fixes that address persistent touchscreen glitches.

Froyo is also believed to allow more access to OpenGL ES 2.0 for developers, potentially permitting better gaming graphics, together with introducing the JIT compiler and perhaps even unlocking the Nexus One’s rumored FM radio hardware. While the Nexus One seems guaranteed to get Android 2.2 Froyo, there’s also speculation that the Motorola DROID will receive the update at the same time; that’s based on the fact that Google will be giving out both Nexus One and DROID handsets to attendees of Google I/O.
    sweet

• Advertisement

sweet
    FroYo just keeps sounding better and better. That sounds brilliant.

Now all I need is for HTC to get their act together and make sure the sense version is released near the same time.

Advertisement