Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

A lot of forums are saying the phone drops signal a lot when you hold it in your hand, is this the case? Like the antenna is in a bad location? I don't want to get the phone if it has a hardware problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A lot of forums are saying the phone drops signal a lot when you hold it in your hand, is this the case? Like the antenna is in a bad location? I don't want to get the phone if it has a hardware problem.

Can't say i've noticed that myself. I've noticed the WiFi signal drops a little if you hold the phone at the bottom but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Will the Nexus One be available on all networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its sold unlocked as standard from google for 570dollars, you will be able to get it much cheaper tho on a billpay, not sure whos gonna carry it, probably vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

I wish they would hurry up and finally announce it!

They said they were bringing the iPhone to Vodafone to, like announced it but haven't given us a date! Please Vodafone get on with it!

I really want a nexus one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Well would you look at this..........

http://www.techinfo-4u.com/2010/02/27/nexus-one-coming-to-vodafone-in-april/

I dont think I can wait until April......Thats even if it comes to Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

JohnK wrote: »
    Same with myself, I havent noticed anything. I am sometimes on edge but thats always been the case around where I live.

Have a cup of tea and relax, should help you out :D:D

Any word on Vodafone bringing this out and what do you reckon it would cost. Upgrades from them seem pretty bad value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Any word on Vodafone bringing this out and what do you reckon it would cost. Upgrades from them seem pretty bad value?

The poster above you linked to an article saying that Vodafone UK are expecting to get the phone around April time. That would mean that its highly unlikely it will be available from Vodafone Ireland till sometime afterwards, could be May. Also, looks like you'll have to buy it directly from Google still, which I assume will mean that custom tax will still be due?

Bad news all round, considering its likely that the HTC Desire will be available with someone by end March / early April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Then don't buy any phone because they ALL do this. Try sticking a wall between the phone and the network and watch the signal drop too. I have an iphone, hero and a Nokia 5800 and all three behave in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

elderlemon wrote: »
    Then don't buy any phone because they ALL do this. Try sticking a wall between the phone and the network and watch the signal drop too. I have an iphone, hero and a Nokia 5800 and all three behave in this way.
    There's a difference between a wall and simply holding a phone in your hand. The antenna position is definitely not the Nexus's greatest attribute, there's no doubt. Hopefully some future software tweaks will help but it would appear to be primarily a hardware issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone reckons the Nexus One only has a 16 bit display:
    An absolutely shocking discovery is that the Nexus One only uses 16-bit color, so Red and Blue only have 32 possible intensity levels and Green only has 64 possible intensity levels. This is common on cheap low-end devices, but it is unacceptable for an expensive high-performance “Super Phone” that Google claims it to be.

http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm#Figure1

I suspect it is 24 bit and this so called scientist will get egg on his face.

eldermon, your post wasn't really helpful. My G1 doesn't do that. Neither did my Nokia N73. Maybe you got a hand as thick as a wall? :)

Baza210 wrote: »
    There's a difference between a wall and simply holding a phone in your hand. The antenna position is definitely not the Nexus's greatest attribute, there's no doubt. Hopefully some future software tweaks will help but it would appear to be primarily a hardware issue.

Yeah Baza210, this is the only issue that is putting me off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slim410

if it bothers you that much just dont hold the battery cover when browsing online?

or just do it landscape....you'll find a way man!

and yes ALL PHONES have the antenna at the lower back of the phone even the most luxurious and expensive phones in the world (Vertu) which cost €7,000 and above ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYVVX6JGXY

i remember if i deliberetly held my Nokia N95 at the bottom of it the signal went down similarly with my dad's samsung Jet (also a recent phone) and now the NEXUS ONE.

the only thing i can conclude from all this is that the nexus one has bad radio software to interact with network signals. software can be updated with OTA updates. any having network issues should get the ERE36B radio update.

if you dont look for faults you wont find any!:eek:

Well one good thing is that the Nexus One has 802.11n wifi which will hopefully be enabled at some stage allowing for the use of N routers and greater signal strength at home. As for the cellular coverage, I'm having trouble on Meteor but that seems to be related more to my network than the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

If its a design issue then software/firmware isn't going to fix it. The antenna is where it is and its highly unlikely that a s/w change can or will boost any signal. My point is that its the same with many other handsets. There are more and more antennas being supported on handsets and there's only limited places to put them.
    Baza210 wrote: »

Just noticed this:
    Leaked ROM with even more radio fixes...
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/14/new-nexus-one-rom-leaks-fixes-more-radio-issues/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Just wondering lads about the wifi when I am at home. If I have wifi connected does that take over from the regular data connection and the regular data connection only kick in when I am not wifi connected?

Thanks

Rookie question probably but this is my first phone in around two years so I am finding my way slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Just wondering lads about the wifi when I am at home. If I have wifi connected does that take over from the regular data connection and the regular data connection only kick in when I am not wifi connected?

Thanks

Rookie question probably but this is my first phone in around two years so I am finding my way slowly!

Yes, it does. It usually takes a couple of seconds to kick in, but there is an icon on top of the screen that clearly shows you whether you are connected to 3G or WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

thanks a mill Baz. Good to know

If its a design issue then software/firmware isn't going to fix it. The antenna is where it is and its highly unlikely that a s/w change can or will boost any signal. My point is that its the same with many other handsets. There are more and more antennas being supported on handsets and there's only limited places to put them.
    Well the oft-quoted precedent in this case is the iPhone 3G which was also plagued with coverage problems that were later fixed with software updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

jd83 wrote: »
    I had a 3gs and sold it to buy nexus. I find it a lot better than the iphone. I suppose the music player on iphone is better. But I find the nexus one quicker, 3g and wifi is a lot quicker for me than it was on the iphone. No jailbreaking or been forced to sign up to assholes like o2.

Had a 3GS as well and sold it for Nexus One. Am very happy with the move. It is a lot quicker but music app/player is pretty weak and it does have a few other quirks.

Anyone else using it with Vodafone post pay? MMS is not working for me even though I got settings off here that worked fine on 3GS. If anyone has settings that work can u post them here?

I have had issue with the headphones as well not working when I plugged them in. The Nexus would not respond to button presses on the in-line remote. A reboot of the phone fixed this but this is not a long term solution!

Cheers,
    M

I took the plunge and ordered mine anyway.. will be picking it up in 2 weeks in Arizona!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

I took the plunge and ordered mine anyway.. will be picking it up in 2 weeks in Arizona!

Yay! Our group is expanding! I don't think I've acutally MET anyone who's even heard of the Nexus One yet. They all go "A Google phone?" - like I've been imagining things - when I start gushing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slim410

marymc wrote: »
    Yay! Our group is expanding! I don't think I've acutally MET anyone who's even heard of the Nexus One yet. They all go "A Google phone?" - like I've been imagining things - when I start gushing. :(

HAHAHA me too man!! i told my friend i got a new phone and hes like nothing is better than the iphone! (he has an iphone 3gs) i said yeah (just to shut him up) and i said its a google brand and he just started laughing saying "why would you buy that? google isnt even a proper website hahaha.."

he hasnt seen it yet :D

slim410 wrote: »
    HAHAHA me too man!! i told my friend i got a new phone and hes like nothing is better than the iphone! (he has an iphone 3gs) i said yeah (just to shut him up) and i said its a google brand and he just started laughing saying "why would you buy that? google isnt even a proper website hahaha.."

he hasnt seen it yet :D

I was out with a mate last night who was showing off his iphone 3gs so i whipped out my Nexus One and start flicking through Live Wallpapers,Google Goggles,Contacts synched with my Facebook etc. He put his iphone away for the rest of the night!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

We got 3 free Nexus One's in the office here from the WMC in Barcelona :D

It is a sweet sweet phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Anyone a bit peeved the stock headphones don't have volume up\ down on them?

I'm using a 3GS pair and they work perfectly except the volume up\down, would be sweet if someone could implement that say in Tune WiKi but maybe the hardware is just no there?

Tune WiKi is SO much better that the stock music player on the Nexus One!!

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement