Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Pegging again here! Nice heavy stuff!!!! :D Yellow blob.......come to daddy!!!:D

Web_radar.gif

arctictree wrote: »
    5 or 6 inches of snow here. -0.1c ATM
    About 6inches here at almost sea level.
    Cars going sideways in it,I've had to pull a few out of ditches.
    We had a short lull when a dark blizzard came down again with very poor visibility.

Have loads of phone pics which I'll post up later.

Also currently -0.1c
    dp is -0.8c

I've been out and very busy all day-whats the model update?
    SA around?

By the way my bedroom window is blocked up completely,my room looks like an igloo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Johnstown Castle - recent Rain on the met.ie site, is that accurate?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

any thing for the west at all 2night??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Pegging again here! Nice heavy stuff!!!! :D Yellow blob.......come to daddy!!!:D

Web_radar.gif

Looks like that band is headed towards Limerick. Do you think it will fizzle out lads??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    you can see yourself here

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx

By the way, spoke to a friend there who said his Heuston to Limerick Junction/Cork train has been postponed as the train driver has been in a car crash on his/her way to work! Hope they are ok. They are awaiting a replacement driver

That website is excellent , just looking at the T+96 (Sunday ) and it does look amazing , I know its completely Fantasy Island , but still may as well dream here as in Bed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We had a short lull when a dark blizzard came down again with very poor visibility.

By the way my bedroom window is blocked up completely,my room looks like an igloo :p

Its amazing isnt it? !
    I keep looking out my windows in sheer disbelief. Its unreal outside here. Even '82 doesnt come close, but that was at sea level.
    Last feb had greater snow depth but it was wet snow this is just light fluffy stuff, sooo beautiful.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Outside 20 mins ago in Rathdowney, Co. Laois
    t8xk5d.jpg
    2uiaolx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This time tommorrow in the west looks interesting.......If its not rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Might see something again over the weekend but its very rare to have decent snow in Waterford City so don't be surprised if those flakes we saw today are all that we will see during this cold spell.

Sprinkling again and ground is surprisingly white :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Have loads of phone pics which I'll post up later.

Also currently -0.1c
    dp is -0.8c

I've been out and very busy all day-whats the model update?
    SA around?

Got at least a decent 2 inches of snowfall myself also Black Briar! Congrats on the total accumulations :)

Meteociel etc are crashing with the pressure at the moment but there is increasing potential for renewed snowfall later on Saturday and into Sunday. UKMO are hinting at this through warnings, GFS 12Z has come on board with the idea, Met Eireann also mentioning it. No breakdown in sight at the moment for at least another 5-6 days on the latest runs today.

More on that snowfall potential later, Hirlam/ECMWF was pretty bang on today so will be awaiting it's charts later.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

snaps wrote: »
    where are u geting this info if u dont mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Will upload some pics on a pic thread soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

From ME....

Another very cold day tomorrow with icy conditions and some freezing fog persisting in places. Many areas will be dry and bright but cloudier with some sleet or snow for a time during the day in parts of Connacht and west Munster, however clearing away again later. Highest temperatures - 2 to + 3 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sprinkling again and ground is surprisingly white :D

Just looking at the radar, we might get a bit more later if we are lucky....

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?LANG=en&STRUCTUR=_&CREG=nir&CONT=euro&BIG=0&ZEIT=201001061515&LOOP=1&LTYP=std&ROAD=0&CITY=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0

Edit : looks like those showers are dying out over Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Got at least a decent 2 inches of snowfall myself also Black Briar! Congrats on the total accumulations :)

Meteociel etc are crashing with the pressure at the moment but there is increasing potential for renewed snowfall later on Saturday and into Sunday. UKMO are hinting at this through warnings, GFS 12Z has come on board with the idea, Met Eireann also mentioning it. No breakdown in sight at the moment for at least another 5-6 days on the latest runs today.

More on that snowfall potential later, Hirlam/ECMWF was pretty bang on today so will be awaiting it's charts later.

SA :)

great to see you finally got something sa(you have more patience than i do:). for your excellent analysis and appreciation of the magical white stuff, i think it's no more than you deserved! i hope it's just the beginning of more to come for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snaps wrote: »

well i mentioned that this morning :pac:

it'll be interesting to see how far inland it goes. BBC have revised the movement, seems it may go in as far as athlone. have to wait and see. looks interesting nevertheless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I missed Villain. Anyone got it recorded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

francosp wrote: »
    By the looks of it Dublin is now finished, hope everyone enjoys what they got.

!

So we get no more snow today? That's us finished for a few days, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

naughto wrote: »
    where are u geting this info if u dont mind me asking

101230.png

UK Percip +27hrs

• Advertisement

MizzLolly wrote: »
    So we get no more snow today? That's us finished for a few days, yeah?

Yep. Till the weekend probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just looking at the radar, we might get a bit more later if we are lucky....

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?LANG=en&STRUCTUR=_&CREG=nir&CONT=euro&BIG=0&ZEIT=201001061515&LOOP=1&LTYP=std&ROAD=0&CITY=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0

Edit : looks like those showers are dying out over Wexford.

Maybe it might slip through the net and get to us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Just so people know, im sure most do already but dublin bus has suspended all services, bit of a knee jerk reaction as the roads arnt too bad my side of the city and bus serice around me was running fine

Dublin bus tickets valid for luas and irish rail, although just heard from my brother DART stations are already packed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Just so people know, im sure most do already but dublin bus has suspended all services, bit of a knee jerk reaction as the roads arnt too bad my side of the city and bus serice around me was running fine

Dublin bus tickets valid for luas and irish rail, although just heard from my brother DART stations are already packed

There reasoning was because Dublin CO CO werent gritting the roads until 3am at earliest & they couldnt risk the roads - very bad in a lot of areas. Id say good call TBH - They have a responsibility to deliver these people safely & if roads have no grit would be a bit hairy in places..

mickger wrote: »
    Maybe it might slip through the net and get to us ;)

Actually might have just been a dodgy radar scan at 16:45, looking better at 17:00 again.

1700.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

well i mentioned that this morning :pac:
    said it on sunday :phttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63773854&postcount=1090

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Sounds like Dublin Airport is in trouble, runways are closed still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Well that fair enough as i said im speaking from my side of the city, and for once fingal co co arnt doing a bad job of things, gritted our road as the hill in it became un passable so people opted to drive across the green instead.

Road are just slushy round here, havnt come across any bad patches of ice or large accumulations of snow

That said the north side seems to had less snowfall then the southsiders (ah sure those affulent gits all have rang rovers anyway :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Sounds like Dublin Airport is in trouble, runways are closed still.
    so bad, customs found 20 kilos of snow in someone's luggage:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

http://twitter.com/AARoadwatchIE
    Dublin Bus back running where they can but with problems in Lucan, Blanchardstown, Fairview and Stillorgan 10 minutes ago from web

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement