Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

francosp wrote: »
    By the looks of it Dublin is now finished, hope everyone enjoys what they got.

Oh and wish me luck, just about to do the drive home !

Don't fancy giving me a lift?? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Cionád wrote: »
    Nooooo, Vermaelan as fantasy football captain :(

Balls. I put Ar$e-shaving in as captain and I have Vermaelen and Diaby as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I was told Dublin airport will be closing the runways for 2 hours. Lots of cancelations and delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

LATEST FROM DEPT OF TRANSPORT (note significant snow for east early next week). Cannot believe they are not providing funding to the councils for gritting

[FONT=&quot]The Department would like to acknowledge the excellent work of all local authorities over recent weeks in mitigating the impact of the severe cold weather on the road network and in particular, the unremitting efforts of road workers to ensure, as far as possible, that national and other priority roads are salted/gritted in their area. The Department understands from Met Éireann that the severe cold weather will continue through next week and that there is a possibility of more significant snowfall early next week, mainly in the east. This will require the continuation of the salting/gritting operations on the same priority basis as heretofore. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A circular has been issued this afternoon to all local authorities asking them to ensure that accurate information on road conditions is disseminated and local authorities are also asked to continue their liaison with An Garda Síochána and the Health Services Executive (HSE) to ensure that local issues and priorities are identified and addressed as resources permit. As some local communities and individuals will experience considerable difficulties or hardship and medical emergencies will arise where access is an issue, it is recommended that local authorities consider utilising some of the arrangements set out in their local emergency plan (without necessarily invoking the full plan). Such arrangements could include a daily meeting/ conference call with such bodies as An Garda Síochána and the HSE. Follow up action may require the use of Civil Defence Personnel, the use of four wheel drive vehicles to assist medical staff in accessing certain areas or the salting/gritting of specific roads. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Department fully understands that the prolonged severe weather will have a significant impact on maintenance budgets and have separately requested information on costs and other details of gritting operations. The information supplied by local authorities will help us assess the overall situation.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The ongoing efforts of all road authorities are appreciated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

mickger wrote: »
    What a shame that system didn't drop even 15 miles more south and we would have got a nice covering instead of just a sprinkle in Waterford City.

Have faith, South Kilkenny is getting a decent covering!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

bassy wrote: »
    Nicely snowing now here in n.kk been snowing nearly a hour now and very cloudy here:)

same in thomastown, cloudy and the radar says there's more on the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Don't fancy giving me a lift?? lol

I wouldn't risk having a passenger with me, haha, na seriously not looking forward to this drive. My brother said that the bottom of the hill where the Royal Oak used to be is lethal, cars broken down and abandoned. It took him an hour to get down that hill...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

***This is taken from the Dublin Bus website

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to the recent heavy snowfall there is serious disruption to most services. There are dangerous driving conditions on all main city arteries and we are waiting for roads to be made safe before resuming services. We will have more up to date information available here as soon as possible.

Due to high volumes of traffic to dublinbus.ie we have been experiencing problems with the site for which we would like to apologise and are making every effort to rectify.

Last Updated 6th Jan 2010 - 15:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nikip

dublin bus has confirmed that there will be no rush hour services

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS bring snow to the southeast and east from Saturday evening through Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Saw these snows coming earlier in the day & just had to head out in the car! Then had to come back in roads were getting so bad!

It's fantastic the way it penetrated inland!! Billiant

Roads are going to be deadly into tomorrow!

Dublin Airport - all flights now suspended.

The Irish Sea has delivered! :D

Congrats to everyone!

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Villain wrote: »
    Almost 7 inches now, amazing at low levels this far inland
    7 inches ? Are you on high ground?

francosp wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk having a passenger with me, haha, na seriously not looking forward to this drive. My brother said that the bottom of the hill where the Royal Oak used to be is lethal, cars broken down and abandoned. It took him an hour to get down that hill...

:(
    Sure I was only joking anyway!

I'll be passing there myself in a while, think I'll have a nice white walk home :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Finally stopping here now, this isnt going anywhere for a while!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

What we got is not worth talking about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    LATEST FROM DEPT OF TRANSPORT (note significant snow for east early next week). Cannot believe they are not providing funding to the councils for gritting

[FONT=&quot]The Department would like to acknowledge the excellent work of all local authorities over recent weeks in mitigating the impact of the severe cold weather on the road network and in particular, the unremitting efforts of road workers to ensure, as far as possible, that national and other priority roads are salted/gritted in their area. The Department understands from Met Éireann that the severe cold weather will continue through next week and that there is a possibility of more significant snowfall early next week, mainly in the east. This will require the continuation of the salting/gritting operations on the same priority basis as heretofore. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A circular has been issued this afternoon to all local authorities asking them to ensure that accurate information on road conditions is disseminated and local authorities are also asked to continue their liaison with An Garda Síochána and the Health Services Executive (HSE) to ensure that local issues and priorities are identified and addressed as resources permit. As some local communities and individuals will experience considerable difficulties or hardship and medical emergencies will arise where access is an issue, it is recommended that local authorities consider utilising some of the arrangements set out in their local emergency plan (without necessarily invoking the full plan). Such arrangements could include a daily meeting/ conference call with such bodies as An Garda Síochána and the HSE. Follow up action may require the use of Civil Defence Personnel, the use of four wheel drive vehicles to assist medical staff in accessing certain areas or the salting/gritting of specific roads. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Department fully understands that the prolonged severe weather will have a significant impact on maintenance budgets and have separately requested information on costs and other details of gritting operations. The information supplied by local authorities will help us assess the overall situation.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The ongoing efforts of all road authorities are appreciated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Lads,

Lady's

Sunday looks EPIC on SKY news,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Lets hope for some freak action this evening - i want a snow day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Huge snow flakes here now, lashing, just about time to get in a 5 foot snow man and take some pics for the weather pics thread.

Lads,

Lady's

No it doesn't???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Lads,

Lady's

what are they saying not near a tv at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

16 cms on hard surfaces and 19cms on grass.

Low level ground in Tullow Co. Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Saw these snows coming earlier in the day & just had to head out in the car! Then had to come back in roads were getting so bad!

We even got a few flakes here in Waterford City :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No it doesn't???

Eerm yea it does the meto has a warning out for ni England and wales for snow it's ment to snow tomorrow aswell... No idea why Scotland isn't In the warning if we are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Villain wrote: »
    16 cms on hard surfaces and 19cms on grass.

Low level ground in Tullow Co. Carlow
    Crikey!
    Met eireann never got past 5 cms!
    Nice one, take some pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

More Snow in Celbridge would be nice . Is there anymore due today

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

More Snow in Celbridge would be nice . Is there anymore due today

No.

owenc wrote: »
    Eerm yea it does the meto has a warning out for ni England and wales for snow it's ment to snow tomorrow aswell... No idea why Scotland isn't In the warning if we are!!

Looking at their interactive forecast it seems only southern England / Wales effected over the weekend - unless they just haven't updated that in a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭littlebsci

Snow has stopped completely in Portarlington now. Ah well, it was good while it lasted!
    Some dirty big clouds moving in but heaven knows if they'll produce more of the good stuff!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Feck, has Meteociel crashed altogether?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=84&mode=2

Ooh I think the big one is around the corner!!! Come on Atlantic, give it your best shot...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No it doesn't???

Are you blind ?
    They had the hole southern half of the country covered in Snow/Rain clouds, mite be rain but with the upper air temps the lads have been talking about on here from saturday , I say SNOW .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement