Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Interesting piece from Keith Earls and his last line about winning by cheating has already draw a gombeen comment from some daft txxx. I hope he gets the chance to emulate his hero with a hat trick of his own.

Would definitely like to see him score a hattrick but that is a bit of a gombeen comment, I doubt DK is delighted with it tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"I suppose victory would be all the sweeter given t happened in the football. If we won by cheating, it would be payback," said Earls

Oh dear.

declan_kidney_1358108c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Flutey's in for England for the Italy game, and Leicester's front row Dan cole's going to get his first cap in the front row (tight head)...talk about a baptism of fire.

Nathan Hines out for the scots through injury....bit of a loss there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Interesting piece from Keith Earls and his last line about winning by cheating has already draw a gombeen comment from some daft txxx. I hope he gets the chance to emulate his hero with a hat trick of his own.

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear the original question put to him and his actual answer in its entirety? Alas we're not supposed to know any of these silly little things such as facts by the journo

JustinDee wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be interesting to hear the original question put to him and his actual answer in its entirety? Alas we're not supposed to know any of these silly little things such as facts by the journo

Don't be daft, such things as integrity and accurate reporting should never be allowed get in the way of a good cooked-up story, its the modern sports hack's credo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Indeed. Interesting that it wasn't in the times, in the same interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

danthefan wrote: »
    Would definitely like to see him score a hattrick but that is a bit of a gombeen comment, I doubt DK is delighted with it tbf.

Calm down lads, bit of a tongue in cheek moment, bit of a laugh. Can't really see the French using this quote to psyche themselves up with can ye??

Bit of a kerfuffle brewing over the Wales/Scotland match and the roof of the Millenium stadium. Andy Robinson wants the top left open while Gatland wants to keep a lid on things...they've been trading devastating handbag blows all day....

http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby/Warren-Gatland-expects-aerial-bombardment.6062215.jp

toomevara wrote: »
    Bit of a kerfuffle brewing over the Wales/Scotland match and the roof of the Millenium stadium. Andy Robinson wants the top left open while Gatland wants to keep a lid on things...they've been trading devastating handbag blows all day....

http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby/Warren-Gatland-expects-aerial-bombardment.6062215.jp

Hooky was right about Gatty. :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64302352&postcount=76

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Scotland were always looking for a dogfight in this one, they're plaing six flankers in various positions and we can expect Parks to stand deep and kick the leather off it. I can see them trying to bully the diminutive Welsh wings.

Personally I dont think this is the way to play the Welsh. Byrne(on form) is a devastating attacker, especially from wayward kicks and Roberts/Hook have both the physical and mental speed to deal with the rush defence.

I'd fancy Wales to beat Scotland comfortably

• Advertisement

Yeah, Gatland's record on the psychological warfare front is pretty appalling...He's no Eddie Jones/Clive Woodward.

toomevara wrote: »
    Yeah, Gatland's record on the psychological warfare front is pretty appalling...He's no Eddie Jones/Clive Woodward.

I'd honestly wonder what he's trying to achieve when he opens his trap. He seems to be intentionally trying to motivate the the opposition.

Some of his comments in the build ups to the Irish and Kiwi games last season were retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

http://www.irishrugby.ie/10735_19696.php

IRELAND Team & Replacements (v France, RBS 6 Nations Championship, Stade de France, Saturday, February 13, kick-off 5.30pm local time/4.30pm Irish time):

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
    12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)

1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
    4 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
    6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:
    16 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    19 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    21 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    22 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'd honestly wonder what he's trying to achieve when he opens his trap. He seems to be intentionally trying to motivate the the opposition.

Some of his comments in the build ups to the Irish and Kiwi games last season were retarded.

I think what he tries to do is what Mourinho used to do for Chelsea[and probably still does at Inter]. Mourinho would focus all media attention on himself, being controversial or just egotistical. This would take all the pressure off his team who then seemed to play far better.

Problem is, Gatland is crap at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Get in there Ferris :)

Otacon wrote: »
    I think what he tries to do is what Mourinho used to do for Chelsea[and probably still does at Inter]. Mourinho would focus all media attention on himself, being controversial or just egotistical. This would take all the pressure off his team who then seemed to play far better.

Problem is, Gatland is crap at it!

True Mourinho wrote the book on it. Gatland seems to have read only the cover sleeve of it.

ssaye wrote: »
    6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)

champagne3.jpg

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

He'd want to wear a pair of goggles. The French can't handle him at all. Delighted he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I've a great feeling for Saturday, it's been nothing but heartbreak every second year for the past decade sooo close every time, I hope this year could be the one where they finally beat them in Paris!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

IrishKev wrote: »
    I've a great feeling for Saturday, it's been nothing but heartbreak every second year for the past decade sooo close every time, I hope this year could be the one where they finally beat them in Paris!

So close everytime ? the last 4 visits Ireland conceeded 19 tries .... almost 5 per match average ;)

• Advertisement

OK fair enough, but:
    2008: 26-21 with an excellent comeback and a last gasp attack by Ireland only to be cross kicked into touch 2 metres from the French line
    2006: 43-31 Sounds like a convincing win, but Ireland had another second half comeback with three (or four?) tries to put France under some real pressure after a bad first half
    Well on closer inspection it gets bad in 2004 and 2002. :( But at least it shows that Ireland can stage a comeback in France's own back yard :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That 2006 one still annoys me. Ireland didn't deserve to win at all or anything, but the ref seriously bottled it not binning a French player in the last 10 minutes.

Yeah I remember that one meself, but it's the 2008 one that I really get pissed off with. If Ireland had kept the ball in the ruck they almost definately would've scored, but they gambled and cross kicked it and it just skipped out past Murphy I think it was. Anyone have link to vid of the highlights of that game (or any past Six Nations highlights)? YouTube never seems to be good for past six nations for some reason.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/12607.php

6N vids tend to get yanked off youtube pretty quickly.

Wow great thanks :D and here was me watching the most pixelated video I've ever seen :D
    http://www.kewego.it/video/iLyROoaftYHy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ireland i have a feeling will win, maybe 2 scores ahead?

Christ, I hate Clerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

IrishKev wrote: »
    OK fair enough, but:
    2008: 26-21 with an excellent comeback and a last gasp attack by Ireland only to be cross kicked into touch 2 metres from the French line
    2006: 43-31 Sounds like a convincing win, but Ireland had another second half comeback with three (or four?) tries to put France under some real pressure after a bad first half
    Well on closer inspection it gets bad in 2004 and 2002. :( But at least it shows that Ireland can stage a comeback in France's own back yard :D

guys about 2006 i always hear this story. there was 43-3 and Toulouse- Clermont clash ( or Stade francais i don't have it in the top of my head ) the following week end ) with the best players of both teams on the pitch ...
    sometimes it is better to have not too much of a cushion as the guys just stepped off the pedal for the next WE a bit early in the game and just completely lost controle of it.

It's always the same story : great come back ;)

Anyway this should be cracker on Saturday and i have invited a good few people Irish and french for some french food and wine at home and wherever the score will go we will celebrate.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Christ, I hate Clerc.

No wonder, besides last year in Croker he's scored 5 tries against us in three games :( (3 in '06, 1 in WC and 1 (who could forget) in the first game in Croker) :O

• Advertisement

He scored two against us in the WC. He's scored 7 feckin tries against Ireland.

Advertisement