Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

the only worrying thing about all this is that met eireann said there will be at least another week of freezing weather. with salt supplies so low as it is( even with todays delivery) roads will be treacherous everywhere.
    Forecasting accidents ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

doesnt look like much cloud cover in this

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Remember that's the Infra Red satellite image. Measuring heat radiation rather than visible light. I'm not sure on the details, but it can be deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Moderate Sleet/Snow Shower in Dundalk, seems to be getting heavier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

According to NRA website it's snowing in Charlestown, if they are getting the same amount of precipitation we are getting as rain here they could be getting quite a fall. Anyone down that part of the county???

My bad it's saying it's heavy rain - but snow on the road. I'm slightly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Snowing in dundalk. Started off as snizzly stuff a few drops of rain and now snowflakes !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rougies wrote: »
    So sharing isn't caring when it comes to polar lows. Very interesting to watch I must say :)

No, and in fact what may happen is that pesky Lewis system drags the other westward, dragging their common centre westwards, making them both miss Ireland! That may be starting to happen right now :eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I hedge my bets on the Lewis and Orkney show deliveringa good dumping for a lot of us tomorrow.

Albert Einstein must have been referring to boards.ie's weather forum when he said: "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Good night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Snoddy wrote: »
    Snowing in dundalk. Started off as snizzly stuff a few drops of rain and now snowflakes !

First proper snow of this coldspell, sticking nicely!!! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I don't have a weather station so my head out the attic window is my only gauge :pac: but it does feel milder out with the breeze blowing, certainly doesn't feel as cold as earlier today.

Still debating whether to stay up and greet this fronts arrival into Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

What're the chances of Snowfall in South cork, been waiting for some all winter, it'll be shame if it doesn't fall before thursday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's snowing here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That front is really barelling down, I think it'll be around 2:30 or earlier at this rate before it hits Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Rain stopped in Donegal town. Doesn't seem that cold out really at the moment. Rain seems to have frozen as it touched down but puddles that were already there are not iced over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

NRA weather stations in south Louth are reporting slightly positive temperatures with dewpoints at about -1 Celcius

The NRA station nearish to where Embee's report comes from has temperatures slightly higher but dewpoints are still at -0.5 Celcius, so I'm honestly suprised at reports of rain.

I would still expect precipitation in Dublin to fall as snow, whatever about the amounts that end up actually falling...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I was gonna go to sleep cause I'm not feeling the best but I wanna wait for the snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Albert Einstein must have been referring to boards.ie's weather forum when he said: "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning"

That sums it up alright, tomorrow......its always tomorrow! :p.

My DP aint far off 0c! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

Supercell wrote: »
    That front is really barelling down, I think it'll be around 2:30 or earlier at this rate before it hits Dublin.

Let's hope so :)

Supercell wrote: »

2.30 in dublin, don't think its worth staying up for in kilkenny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Radar on http://www.wunderground.com backs up snow in Dundalk!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ah it would be rude not to wait for it...

Web_radar.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I am excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

any snow headin 4 south wicklow/north wexford anytime soon?

took me ages 2 catch up on all d posts:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Temps in donegal between +2.8 and +3.3 according to NRA. Will these temps drop. ???? Feels quite tropical here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Its interesting watching that snow pile into Craigavon. Its like a lake effect off Lough Neagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Hi all. I've been loitering around here for most of the evening. Enjoying the observations and the banter. I would have thought it should be clear that the rain is following on from the initial warm front with the snow accompanying the cold front which isn't far behind. That's what all the charts have been showing, or am I mistaken?

At any rate, it's clear that something's going to happen. I'm in Donabate, north Co. Dublin, and as of now things seem to be overcast and I'd venture to suggest a little warmer than when I last ventured out for a walk about teatime. That would tally with the Dublin Airport observations anyway.

Here's hoping we'll get some of the white stuff anyway, and maybe even a few centimetres over the next day or so.

On a broader note, is anyone else reckoning the schools mightn't re-open as planned on Thursday if this does come to pass? Already the housing estates are treacherous enough and I'd imagine there'll be huge problems with heating and burst pipes in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Ah it would be rude not to wait for it...

Web_radar.gif

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I find this site great for checking the conditions!!

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/irish_mesomap.html

Pity Newbridge is down at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »
    No, and in fact what may happen is that pesky Lewis system drags the other westward, dragging their common centre westwards, making them both miss Ireland! That may be starting to happen right now :eek::confused:

Any thoughts on how the Scottish landmass may effect the "Orkney" system?
    Maybe pull it eastwards and give it a good spin while it's at it? ;)

any snow headin 4 south wicklow/north wexford anytime soon?

took me ages 2 catch up on all d posts:eek:

will be there round 4 am, by the look of the radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

will be there round 4 am, by the look of the radar

hope so thetonynator:D

even though we just ran out of home heating oil n my car just died on me:o a bit of snow wud cheer me up big time:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement