Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

Looking good according to RTE :D
    www.rte.ie/weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »
    I now suspect the two are going to merge into the one system, probably scuppering any chance of that polar low. But we'll just have to wait and see, unfortunately there are feck all observations up there to give a hint.

But that's the next best thing yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

is this not worth getting excited over? heading east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

embee wrote: »
    Stupid rain :(

I agree, it just can't keep the fcuk away for more than 2 days. Just when things were drying up here we are back to the same muddy, icy, dangerous crap. God damn can it stay away for even up to a week! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

embee wrote: »
    Just went outside.... bloody drizzling on Louth/Monaghan border.

Stupid rain :(

Embee, are you looking at RainToday ? Large area of snow heading your way. Be interesting to see if it makes it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I now suspect the two are going to merge into the one system, probably scuppering any chance of that polar low. But we'll just have to wait and see, unfortunately there are feck all observations up there to give a hint.

looks like they have seperated in the last 15 mins
    http://www.sat24.com/image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001050115&sat=

Just a thought. if that 'Lewis' low trails to the west/north west of ireland and the 'Orkney's' system follows shortly after to the North/Northeast of Ireland, is it not possible for them to form a more organised and potent front as they move southwards down the island? It just seems that both systems are taking on lifes of their own and they may complement each other by the time they hit land here tomorrow morn

There's a UKMO radar in Belfast that's used

Which looks like it need a shot of WD40 too judging by the Raintoday animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

There's a UKMO radar in Belfast that's used

It might be that one, but the small section of arc that you can see when it gives a return seems to me to indicate it's origin might be somewhere around Dumfries or somewhere on that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Heavy rain here at the mo. very mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abregy

Just started to snow in Cavan Town not that heavy but whatever is falling is sticking with everything being frozen solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Reports of heavy snow in Antrim in the past hour or so.

better image of that system heading our way tomorrow morn (located to north and NW of scotland). It is starting to look very impressive and is growing in stature. I'll shut up about it now:p

http://www.sat24.com/image.ashx?country=eu&type=last&time=201001050115&sat=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the front seems to be dying on the western front looking at ukmo radar? theres plenty in east NI and the stuff thats heading for here looks much more fragmented? If it snows tonight i think it will be just barely a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rain turning sleety now.

now come on cold air get your act together and turn this rain into snow quick smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Drizzle over Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan at moment.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the front seems to be dying on the western front looking at ukmo radar?

that radar is also missing shannon Gonzo. This sat link will show you that it is fairly even from coast to coast

Gonzo wrote: »
    the front seems to be dying on the western front looking at ukmo radar? theres plenty in east NI and the stuff thats heading for here looks much more fragmented? If it snows tonight i think it will be just barely a dusting.

Hard to know with radar coverage being so poor at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

no sign of snow in kk.

clear skies, round 1 degree, was -1 at 9 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

its raining now in kerry after snow 2 hours ago

no sign of snow in kk.

clear skies, round 1 degree, was -1 at 9 pm.

Wouldnt expect anything around there till close to morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Ah well, a watched kettle never boils. We'll see what the snow fairy brings in the morning, hope it not just a kettle full of cold water... goodnight all.

Wouldnt expect anything around there till close to morning.
    wouldn't expect anything round here full stop. never is. always seems to just miss us.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

mad DIY wrote: »
    Ah well, a watched kettle never boils. We'll see what the snow fairy brings in the morning, hope it not just a kettle full of cold water... goodnight all.

I would attempt to sleep but reckon i couldn't although i am in bed with my laptop!:D

To the nights snow-watch

Band should reach Dublin by 3am.

mad DIY wrote: »

maybe a kettle full of hot water . . . to thaw out the windscreen!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    looks like they have seperated in the last 15 mins
    http://www.sat24.com/image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001050115&sat=

Just a thought. if that 'Lewis' low trails to the west/north west of ireland and the 'Orkney's' system follows shortly after to the North/Northeast of Ireland, is it not possible for them to form a more organised and potent front as they move southwards down the island? It just seems that both systems are taking on lifes of their own and they may complement each other by the time they hit land here tomorrow morn

I wouldn't say so, both will be taking energy from eachother. The Lewis system seems to be a developing Comma feature, whereas the Orkney one is.....a mess.

I honestly don't know what will become of them both....though the NAE seems to make a polar low type feature out of the Orkney one.

I would attempt to sleep but reckon i couldn't although i am in bed with my laptop!:D

To the nights snow-watch

Band should reach Dublin by 3am.

I'm definitely staying up for this one. I missed New Year's eve snow because of a party in the sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

doesnt look like much cloud cover in this

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

I wouldn't say so, both will be taking energy from eachother. The system Lewis system seems to be a developing Comma feature, whereas the Orkney one is.....a mess.

I honestly don't know what will become of them both....though the NAE seems to make a polar low type feature out of the Orkney one.
    thanks Su. Will be an interesting few hours.

I wouldn't say so, both will be taking energy from eachother. The Lewis system seems to be a developing Comma feature, whereas the Orkney one is.....a mess.

So sharing isn't caring when it comes to polar lows. Very interesting to watch I must say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

djmc wrote: »
    its raining now in kerry after snow 2 hours ago

:eek::(

That's just not fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement