Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fausto Miño

Light westerly wind blowing in off the sea is keeping things very mild in SouthWest Mayo right now. Dark clouds are visible north of Clew Bay, cant see it precipitating as snow with that mild atlantic air.
    BTW I use http://windguru.cz, very useful for wind and swell, but not much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Did no one watch the weather,Nuala had a nice warning triangle for tonight

Su Campu wrote: »
    The HIRLAM doesn't pick up on that low/polar low near Scotland at all.

Midnight tonight

prec_nordeuro-12.gif

...but does have a little something develop over northern England, which could make things interesting fpr the east coast by morning.

4am

prec_nordeuro-16.gif

Midday tomorrow

prec_nordeuro-24.gif
    The graphics for tuesday and wenesday had it completely dry apart from the odd very light snow shower in the East.
    It looked like by the end of wenesday according to their graphics that we'd be lucky to have 1cm on the hills here.

Pointless looking at it though as the graphics people didn't paint anything on probably because in my experience,they might show a bit in the irish sea but don't bother a whole lot with it or where it goes as we are after all a foreign country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Blowing snow now in the Faroe Islands
    EKVG 041250Z 36018KT 9999 BLSN BKN035CB M02/M05 Q1019 RMK WIND 850FT 36028G43KT

Sleet in Kirkwall
    EGPA 041320Z 02012KT 9999 -SHRASN SCT006 BKN012 03/01 Q1011

Iminent light snow showers in the Shetlands
    EGPM 041320Z 03013KT 9999 VCSH FEW010CB SCT020 01/M01 Q1010 NOSIG
    EGPM 041250Z 35020KT 9999 VCSH FEW010CB SCT020 02/M00 Q1010 TEMPO 3000 -SHSN BKN010CB

EGPB 041320Z 34009KT 9999 VCSH FEW012 FEW020CB SCT035 01/M01 Q1010 NOSIG
    EGPB 041250Z 34009KT 9999 VCSH FEW010 FEW018CB SCT032 01/M00 Q1011 TEMPO 3000 -SHSN BKN010CB

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Felt naked! Had no internet access this morning until now.

Woke up this morning to 0.5cm covering of lovely fine snow! :)

Min overnight -2.7c. 1.6c DP -1.2c atm. Has clouded over now here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

danni2 wrote: »
    Started snowing here:D
    Send it on down to Laois please. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

shower activity
    100817.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

redsunset wrote: »

What she say redsunset?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Gone very cloudy now - Dublin 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »

Missed it. What was the gist?

• Advertisement

Basically rain ,sleet and snow spreading right through the whole country.
    one warning triangle placed dead centre of ireland,in other words they haven't a clue whats happening

Light snow shower at Knock Airport at 1330Z

METAR EIKN 041330Z 27008KT 4000N -SHSN SCT003 BKN014CB 00/M01 Q1020 TEMPO 2000=

Surprised there is still no weather warning in place on Met.ie

They took down the one from this morning, I'd expect a new one within the next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There's nothing on the radar anywhere!!! :confused:

Web_radar.gif
    :confused:

i thought it was just this radar acting up http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

why have neither of them picked it up??
    meanwhile, it has gone very light here again

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Extremely dark clouds coming over the Dublin Mountains, my location is Kiltipper in Tallaght just at the foothills. Has got very very chilly with a brezze in the last 20 mins or so. Clouds are thick and dark, need lights on here in the house.

Surprised there is still no weather warning in place on Met.ie

They took down the one from this morning, I'd expect a new one within the next couple of hours.

How can they give a warning in TV and not on the site,i swear they baffle me at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

She has confirmed northerly to northeasterly winds for tomorrow however, I guess it solidifies the risk of snowfalls for the east coast. The more easterly it gets the more snow we'll see and it'll penetrate further inland, am I correct here?

Their 5-day summary would suggest the winds turning NNW for Thursday and back to NE on Friday / SE on Saturday, no sign of precitipation for weekend:

met01.jpg

Whether it'll turn out this way is another story.

:confused:

i thought it was just this radar acting up http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

why have neither of them picked it up??
    manwhile, it has gone very light here again

They are using the same source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

shannon radar back up. Not showing up any precip!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

heavy snow now, albiet in the form of small grains.

it will be really disappointing if, during the passage of the cold front tonight, we see sleet instead of snow. i hope that aviation forecast is incorrect.

just as i say that the flakes are getting bigger!

• Advertisement

beautiful stuff!! proper big flakes of heavy snow now!!!:D:D:D

it's all sticking too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

and still the radar does not pick up on it:confused:

heavy snow now, albiet in the form of small grains.

it will be really disappointing if, during the passage of the cold front tonight, we see sleet instead of snow. i hope that aviation forecast is incorrect.

just as i say that the flakes are getting bigger!

I think it will be the case, but turning increasingly towards snow as the front passes tonight/early tomorrow morning. But it's not going to be a whiteout I'm afraid, and some places will wonder why they got rain and not snow, like last Wednesday.

Elmo5 wrote: »

I think what that is showing is cloudcover from a satellite, not actual precipitation from radar. So while there may be clouds, that doesn't mean something is falling from all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daveydee

hey new to forum. Hoping for loadas snow lol

Got link to this site. Havent seen it before so dunno about how accurate it is. But haven't seen this many advisories in one go

niweather

Severe Weather Warning

Valid From 18:00 03/01/2010
    Until 12:00 08/01/2010

Ice and snow will become a problem to travel networks this throughtout the week.

You are advised to take care on untreated roads and to allow extra time for your journey.

Weather Advisory

Updated 09:00 04/01/2010

Valid 04/01/2010

Possible heavy snow

Snow showers may affect parts of Northern Ireland today. 2 - 3 cm is possible in some areas. Temporary Travel disruption is likely.

Further updates will be issued this afternoon and evening unless surpassed by flash or severe warnings.

Weather Advisory

Issued 13:00 04/01/2010

Valid 05/01/2010

Heavy Snow

Heavy snow is likely to affect parts of Northern Ireland overnight and tomorrow morning. Some places may receive in excess of 10 cm causing travel disruption for the rush hour.

Further updates will be issued this afternoon and evening unless surpassed by flash or severe warnings.

Weather Advisory

06/01/2010

There is a risk of severe weather on Wednesday. Heavy snow and freezing temperatures are likely to affect parts of Northern Ireland 5 - 10 cm is possible with more over high ground. We will be keeping a close eye on this event and will update warnings accordingly. If you are planning to travel on Wednesday please stay tuned to weather forecasts as travel disruption will be highly likely.

This warning will be updated throughout the week

The next update will be 21:00 04/10/2010

I think it will be the case, but turning increasingly towards snow as the front passes tonight/early tomorrow morning. But it's not going to be a whiteout I'm afraid, and some places will wonder why they got rain and not snow, like last Wednesday.

ah that's really disappointing to hear considering it's snowing during the day right now, and given we are supposed to have all the favourable conditions in place now- unlike last wednesday when it was said to be touch and go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

It is so cold over the Dublin area at the moment, between -1 and 0, any prcipitation that falls in my opinion will be of hail, Graupel or snow. Rain just no possible. Maybe rain in the Northwest or South/Southwest or West but not here.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

bbc weather says tonight there will be rain/sleet and snow and were it rains it will freeze up and then a lot snow will come down in the morning upto 20cm is possible!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ffarrell wrote: »
    It is so cold over the Dublin area at the moment, between -1 and 0, any prcipitation that falls in my opinion will be of hail, Graupel or snow. Rain just no possible. Maybe rain in the Northwest or South/Southwest or West but not here.:)

we had rain on Christmas day and temps were below zero.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement