Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

redsunset wrote: »
    Correct and right.

yes and the chances of all factors being in play are minimal. that's why polar lows are so rare... so we should expecting nothing and hope to be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

So HIRLAM isn't picking up on the possible polar low at all, and Met Eireann use the HIRLAM model for short range forecasts...

Of course polar lows can be difficult for models to pick up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

yes and the chances of all factors being in play are minimal. that's why polar lows are so rare... so we should expecting nothing and hope to be surprised.
    based on our recent experiences we should all forecast the absolute opposite of what we want and we will be in luck. Therefore, I am predicting temps to peak at 28C in Bundoran tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Here is the latest sat 24 which shows that system tracking further to the SW from its previous position
    100814.jpg

• Advertisement

proper big flakes now:D:D:D sticking like goodo to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Here is the latest sat 24 which shows that system tracking further to the SW from its previous position

Too far SW?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

is dishwasher salt ok for gritting your pathways?

Not really, I use it to get over the worst of the ice and then use brute force and ignorance to clear off the ice which comes off in big clumps (from the salt).

further rock salt shipments due in Ballymena and in Limerick City on Wednesday. Councils on west coast have up to 3-4 days supplies left at the moment. These supplies will be under immense pressure should it snow between now and Wednesday. Don't forget a lot of the Council workers in the West involved in gritting and operations have been going non stop since the flooding in the third week of November. They deserve our appreciation. The Government has yet to provide a cent towards the cost of buying in more salt supplies. It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

is dishwasher salt ok for gritting your pathways?

It's the same stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher_salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Whereabouts are you ? :)

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you ? :)

Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

dedon wrote: »
    IS there much chance of snow in Limerick city this evening or tonight? Will that band reach us here??

i want to know this too, can anyone answer this???thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Maybe another half centimeter overnight in Dublin 13, just enough to coat the remaining ice coating left from NYE anywhere that isn't a main road. It's bright and sunny now, although nothing much seems to be actually melting (brrr).

Wibbler wrote: »
    Too far SW?
    not really. Where it ends up depends on when the Northerly/NE wind flow kicks in.

tony1212 wrote: »
    i want to know this too, can anyone answer this???thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63774897&postcount=1119

Still stand over that forecast from yesterday. You may get a little more than a dusting tonight though if temps don't rise with this approaching front. They should not rise much in the Midwest though

By the way, latest from ME on Irish Times website discounts snow for the southern half of the country over the next 24 hrs.

"Tonight, snow is forecast in Ulster and the northern parts of Leinster and Connacht.

Wintry showers will affect Ulster and north Connacht tomorrow, and the east on Wednesday.

Forecasters have also predicted the possibility of more widespread snow during Thursday. Temperatures are to remain low during next weekend, though it is expected to remain dry."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm simply amazed at the amount of people who are hoping and praying that we get a load of snow. I guess they must never need to leave their homes!

I hope we get no more snow at all. I'm sick of this cold weather at this stage. I want it gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Light snow shower here, gone cloudy. Ground frozen, even a few flakes will stick.

Snow shield temporarily disabled, normal service will resume tonite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'm simply amazed at the amount of people who are hoping and praying that we get a load of snow. I guess they must never need to leave their homes!

I hope we get no more snow at all. I'm sick of this cold weather at this stage. I want it gone.

You SHOULD BE BANNED for saying such a thing on this forum!

D11 SNOW COME ONN!!!!!! WOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There's nothing on the radar anywhere!!! :confused:

Web_radar.gif

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »

Shannon is still down. This may help you Su in the meantime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Su Campu wrote: »

Web_radar.gif

There si definitely a dot there near Moate ;). But yes, I noticed that barely a pip on that screen, and it is definitely snow that fell here...albeit lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

According to The Sky news forecast, rain/snow due to arrive at dublin by midnight 2nite, doesnt look like loads but its something, anything like new years eve will make me happy once again :rolleyes:

Precip chart valid until 3pm.
    3hr-rain.gif

UKMO Monthly outlook

Published at 09:00 on 4th January