Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It appears that the Shannon rainfall radar is broked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Jumpy wrote: »
    It appears that the Shannon rainfall radar is broked.

It goes down whenever it rains. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

cloudy all around but the cloud continues to break up right overhead. the temperature is -1c.

owenc wrote: »
    So maybe 30mins of rain then snow that will be good as long s the snow is heavy and lies after.:D
    Hard to say.sleety rain if rain.
    I refuse to believe aviemore had rain,I'd imagine it was a clerical error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

I see the M2 Buoy has dropped a full 1c in the past hour.

Is that a bit strange?
    and out of interest, what is the coldest the Irish Sea gets?

great threads and fair play to everyone for contributing. I've spent hours on here and learning a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Really light snow blowing around in the wind here in Carlow town. Air temp 0.5c DP -1.2c wind: WNW

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Whilst still being at between T+96 and T+120, ECMWF 12Z is not very dissimilar from an Easterly incursion between the 31 Dec 1996 and 1 January 1997. I've checked the 850mb temperatures and they are very similar, along with air pressure. In fact, the flow is even slightly stronger on tonight's run. Whilst the blocking is slightly different, it is still somewhat similar & that event gave decent enough snowfall to several Eastern and Southeastern areas, dry powdery type snowfall.

Perhaps something to keep an eye on towards the weekend:

archives-1997-1-1-12-1.png

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Really light rain here. Temp -0.2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

snow ghost wrote: »
    It goes down whenever it rains. ;)

my kinda women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I might walk to work tomorrow. It's only a mile or so and I don't fancy the car getting stuck if there's a big heap of snow during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain was reported at both 1400 and 1500 - it's possible given we had rain here (in Ireland) at -4c.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/aviemore_latest_weather.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hard to say.sleety rain if rain.

well a shower is heading down into here now ahead of the front which will tell us what it will fall as temp around 0.5/1c.. hopefully it should snow...... snow still lying here........ on the bbc forecast the woman-angie? said that this was the coldest december in ni since 1981..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Ah Jean Byrne, you little minx you.;) she had that polar low on the chart although she didn't call it that

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain was reported at both 1400 and 1500 - it's possible given we had rain here (in Ireland) at -4c.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/aviemore_latest_weather.html

never believe that everytime that says its raining here its snowing infact when its snowed infact ive never seen that showing the snow symbol when it has rained.......

RTE/Met Eireann, BBC & Sky all seem to think we are going to get nothing more than a few showers if were lucky! Time will tell I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    RTE/Met Eireann, BBC & Sky all seem to think we are going to get nothing more than a few showers if were lucky! Time will tell I suppose!

They are probabley right. We're all getting our hopes up. We're going to wake up to nothing more then a small dusting of snow tomorrow. Time for a reality check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

You obviously missed the latest forecast on rte :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

just had a very light dusting of snow in limerick(outskirts),,, Temp 0 deg.
    Just watched the weather on rte, looks like snow showers later tonite and in morning...... Hopefully!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not a bad forecast from Jean there. :pac:

Not a bad forecast from Jean there. :pac:

Yes, especially considering you should add at least another 25% snow potential to met eireann forecasts :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

owenc wrote: »
    never believe that everytime that says its raining here its snowing infact when its snowed infact ive never seen that showing the snow symbol when it has rained.......

I'm not aware of any synoptic/met station reporting current weather conditions in Coleraine?

Rougies wrote: »
    You obviously missed the latest forecast on rte :rolleyes:

No I seen it alright, didn't see anything more than showers to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Yes, I agree, not a bad forecast at all..

I wreckon it might even be better at 9.30PM with today's updated ECMWF charts, which are even better than the overnight 00Z evolution - that's in terms of overall positioning and the general flow. We shall see the precip charts now in a short while.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

100863.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I'd say there will be about 30-40cm snow in northern ireland:D;):rolleyes:

Except around coleraine where there will probably be a lot of rain:p...i hope

No I seen it alright, didn't see anything more than showers to be honest!

Band of sleet and snow, followed by another one (with a little polar low looking graphic) to cross the country. A little better than showers I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

garytuohy wrote: »
    I see the M2 Buoy has dropped a full 1c in the past hour.

Is that a bit strange?
    and out of interest, what is the coldest the Irish Sea gets?

great threads and fair play to everyone for contributing. I've spent hours on here and learning a lot
    Irish Sea SST (Sea Surface Temperature) usually reach min during early March and this has been about 7-8C during past few years, but may drop to 6C in cold years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The precipitation chart for 9pm....

3hr-rain.gif

Wonder will it be sneachta falling out of that?? :D

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any synoptic/met station reporting current weather conditions in Coleraine?

Ballykelly about 10 miles away...were my sister lives so i can check with her..:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Hi will it snow in Waterford tonight ??? JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!

Its clouded over and temp is currently 0 degrees on the nose. Fingers etc crossed !!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement