Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Well if I wake tomorrow to find no snow around here and lots over in the West as the met are predicting, I am definitely going up to Glasnevin to protest. I am sick of them sending the snow to the west, sick of it. :pac:

Ah now here!...dont be too loud!, Ill be in bed asleep!

HA!

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    We chop and change our forecasts too without fear of causing confusion throughout the whole country (although I am sure some would disagree as lots of people read this thread). ME cannot issue a snow warning when there is a chance that things might change dramatically in the short term. Secondly, snow in ireland is very difficult to forecast for specific regions. I am not defending ME nor am I defending Boards.ie. It's just one big guessing game when it comes to snow in ireland.

the bottom line here is that nobody can tell for sure what the hell is going to happen. All we can do is suggest, which is what makes this boards.ie interesting.
    I agree but I'd like to see more forecasts on RTE like the one Tomaz did on countrytracks on BBC one yesterday ie giving risks and being more informed basically.
    They can be very vague at times and theres no need for it.
    I feel that they have it in them to do this but some instruction somewhere is stopping them.
    Some silly civil servant who thinks he/she knows best...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Elnin09 wrote: »
    Very light drizzle / sleet falling in leixlip now. Feels bitter outside. Hopefully we wake up to a blanket of snow in the morning but i think we may come up short again ! It will be interesting to see the weather forecast on RTE later !

Especially their faulty rainfall radar. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Latest Update...

T+72 - Keeps the Northeasterly flow going slightly longer, becoming slacker later into Thursday afternoon.. Conditions still bitterly cold, with snowfall risk diminishing later into Thursday afternoon.

T+96 - Easterly flow back once again, tending slightly Northeasterly - Excellent consistency & quite possible that snow showers will develop over the Irish Sea again.

T+120 - Rather strong Easterly, slightly Northeasterly flow. Pressure rising to between 1026mb - 1030mb across the country, lowest further south. Despite this, with a deep cold pool backing westwards over the Irish Sea, there will once again be the potential for snow showers breaking out and spreading into Eastern areas.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think some of the people posting on here should apply to be forecasters on RTE as they seem to think they can predict the weather better than them??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

is the rainfall radar at meteireann.ie blank because the Shannon Radar is off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I feel that they have it in them to do this but some instruction somewhere is stopping them.

very possible BB

By the way, light snow here. temp 0-0.5c. Gentle NW breeze.

Still 1-2 inches of snow on ground from last week. no thaw today.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

its stop now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

God,:mad: I hope that dope Murphy does't present this evening's forecast. Even if there was a huge snowstorm en route his depessive tone and lack of zest would divert it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I agree but I'd like to see more forecasts on RTE like the one Tomaz did on countrytracks on BBC one yesterday ie giving risks and being more informed basically.
    They can be very vague at times and theres no need for it.
    Some silly civil servant who thinks he/she knows best...

I dont see any reason to be giving out at ME , they do their job, meteorology is a science and its never 100% accurate believe me... the maths and physics and all the variables in it all is just endless really!, and considerin tat there is only 6 staff on doin the MAIN forecasting , we cant just ask ..." ok i live on " name of ur street" ", wats the chances of snow here? .... We got to give credit to them for what they DO tell us!
    BUT .... on the other hand ... i wish they stop gettin our hopes up in advanced.

• Advertisement

That seems a little bit harsh WC. It has been pointed out many times the the Met are not in a position to ramp. They have to generalize the best they can for the little time they have when doing public media broadcasts.
    I'd agree with that too to an extent.
    However-the forecast presented on BBC NI at lunchtime today was wildly different to the one on RTE for example.

RTE-Wintry showers tomorrow morning.
    BBC NI : Map with presenter showing snow,disruptive snow over Donegal,East to Armagh and into the bottom of their map Monaghan and cavan.

Theres a big difference between the two.
    I'll take a guess and expect that the 630 and 930 RTE forecasts will be more cognisant of the snow risk but I think as professionals they should be getting a little flack if they are off the ball and have to ramp up their forecast a little bit when the next door service had done this 5 hours earlier.

But anyhow,It's not a job I envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How is your temp tread currently? I am going by my la cross sensor reading at the moment, and the trend is still falling. Because it is stuck inside a bush it may be a bit off accuracy wise. I am sure my Davis on the other side of town is probably reading a little higher.

Ive got a remote oregon scientific weather station. The sensor is in the middle of the back garden about 1.5m off the ground in the roof of a bird table!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Heavy snow in Errill Co. Laois now, in the South Midlands. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

is the rainfall radar at meteireann.ie blank because the Shannon Radar is off?

Yes and so is the UKMO radar because of this shannon radar is becomming a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Its snowing in limerick city centre right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ffarrell wrote: »
    God,:mad: I hope that dope Murphy does't present this evening's forecast. Even if there was a huge snowstorm en route his depessive tone and lack of zest would divert it!

Eagleton is worse.

Snowaddict wrote: »
    T+120 - Rather strong Easterly, slightly Northeasterly flow. Pressure rising to between 1026mb - 1030mb across the country, lowest further south. Despite this, with a deep cold pool backing westwards over the Irish Sea, there will once again be the potential for snow showers breaking out and spreading into Eastern areas.

When pressure nears 1030 mb-then precip is still possible but under pressure.It will proabably be light at that stage.
    It will still accumalate but not much.But hey thats later in the week-lets see what wenesday into thursday brings first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A small dusting of snow when I came back here today. Looks better than just the ice that was left!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sorry for the silly question, but I was under the impression there was a band of precipitation coming down from the north. That being the case, would precip in the west and midlands not also be affecting the east now? Yet there hasn't been any here so far.

Or is that precip not the band that's due to come down from the north? Or is it actually coming more from the northwest?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

When pressure nears 1030 mb-then precip is still possible but under pressure.It will proabably be light at that stage.
    It will still accumalate but not much.But hey thats later in the week-lets see what wenesday into thursday brings first :)

Completely agree there Black Briar. They would most likely be of the powdery type snow flurries, but with a bit of luck they could still give several CM's..

Stunning 850mb temperatures also for Saturday, -11 in Eastern & Midland areas, that's going to be exceptionally cold without a doubt:

ECM0-120.GIF?04-0

Out to T+144 and 850mb temperatures are still between -8 and -9, winds into the Northeast, pressure slightly lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

ooooh, first time I've seen met eireann have a warning triangle on the forecast map on met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM has -10c 850 over a lot of the country at 120h :

ECM0-120.GIF?04-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

im confused will the warm air be ahead of the front and then get colder immediately as it passes through or at the end of the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Stunning 850mb temperatures also for Saturday, -11 in Eastern & Midland areas, that's going to be exceptionally cold without a doubt

Ah ya spotted it too, snap! :P

owenc wrote: »
    im confused will the warm air be ahead of the front and then get colder immediately as it passes through or at the end of the front?
    during.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snowing here again in longford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

A couple of showers here in S. Carrlow in the past 20mins have left a dusting of snow on paths and roads. Can't see the showers on any of the radars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its snowing in limerick city centre right now!

No it isnt/wasnt.

Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Snowin in callan kilkenny. KCLR radio

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

during.

So maybe 30mins of rain then snow that will be good as long s the snow is heavy and lies after.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement