Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I think that forecast update just there now is definitely an upgrade...

''Resulting in significant deposits locally'' - That's a bit more like it, it appears Met Eireann are really trying to cover themselves without giving too detailed specifics.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

That is how extreme the weather can be in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. They get the highest snowfall in Ireland and I suppose they always have really. When I was up there last February you could not see the military road....just the top of the 10 foot signpost. When I went skiing at 1450 metres in the French Alps there was actaully a lot less snow.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I'm feeling underwhelmed by the east's chances of seeing snow over the next week. Met.ie have taken the edge off my excitement with their latest forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

What starts off as a promising dump 4-5 days out, becomes "wintry showers" as we near the event, eventually becoming "scattered wintry showers for coastal areas", just in time for the next snowmaggeddon event to show up on the far horizon to taunt us. :D

Is this what Winter 1963 was like? Give me a Jan 1982 any day. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

ffarrell wrote: »
    That is how extreme the weather can be in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. They get the highest snowfall in Ireland and I suppose they always have really. When I was up there last February you could not see the military road....just the top of the 10 foot signpost. When I went skiing at 1450 metres in the French Alps there was actaully a lot less snow.:D:D

Sally Gap (from RTE website)
    0002e1c610dr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Duiske wrote: »
    Anyone curious as to what the story is in Scotland with rain/snow, this is a handy site. Check out the first few North/Highland cams. Thats what I want to wake up to tomorrow :D

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/list.aspx

http://www.trafficscotland.org/views/delay/E_Al_5.jpg?ts=100104180001

yes, it would be nice to wake up to that:D

• Advertisement

The met also said on radio one just now "resulting in significant deposits locally"

Talk about fence sitting.

I have to be frank-they are becoming useless and lazy.
    Not in the veracity of their forecasts but in the quality of them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Maybe they're having difficulty predicting it....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Kippure wrote: »
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php/topic,790.15.html

A couple more photos of the snow today in the wicklow mountains

Wow. Alp De Wickla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wibbler wrote: »
    I'm feeling underwhelmed by the east's chances of seeing snow over the next week. Met.ie have taken the edge off my excitement with their latest forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

What starts off as a promising dump 4-5 days out, becomes "wintry showers" as we near the event, eventually becoming "scattered wintry showers for coastal areas", just in time for the next snowmaggeddon event to show up on the far horizon to taunt us. :D

Is this what Winter 1963 was like? Give me a Jan 1982 any day. ;)

i agree. i would also love it if met eireann were punished for their negative forecasts. how dare their forecast not reflect a snow lovers wishes;)

i agree. i would also love it if met eireann were punished for their negative forecasts. how dare their forecast not reflect a snow lovers wishes;)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Despite full cloud cover temp in back to near 0c. 0.2c currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

well I've had my "pre-snow headache" for about 3 hours now and when I went out to bring in the horse it was starting here.... just a few tiny flakes, but the temp has come up a small bit from the -2C it was earlier to 1.5C (cat's water dish still frozen though....)

We'll see....

I'll put 2 euro on the kid's school not going back on Thursday due to weather though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The met also said on radio one just now "resulting in significant deposits locally"

We chop and change our forecasts too without fear of causing confusion throughout the whole country (although I am sure some would disagree as lots of people read this thread). ME cannot issue a snow warning when there is a chance that things might change dramatically in the short term. Secondly, snow in ireland is very difficult to forecast for specific regions. I am not defending ME nor am I defending Boards.ie. It's just one big guessing game when it comes to snow in ireland.

the bottom line here is that nobody can tell for sure what the hell is going to happen. All we can do is suggest, which is what makes this boards.ie interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

Crap radio forcast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Duiske wrote: »
    Wow. Alp De Wickla :)

Unreal scenary up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Currently talking about safe driving. Hope this advice is taken on by some of the stupid drivers who seem to disregard the state of the roads over the last couple of weeks. I get the impression sometimes that some people on the roads are merely out to impress at how fast they can drive on ice.

And without lights on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea it really is unacceptable at this point, they come to the point where they are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Despite full cloud cover temp in back to near 0c. 0.2c currently.

Lucky you...1.4c here. I see Shannon Radar is OFF AGAIN!

Very cloudy in west dublin with temperature currently standing at 0 degrees and very, very light precipitation falling....like sleety snow. It it gets any heavier it will be snow, 100 per cent sure.:D

Yea it really is unacceptable at this point, they come to the point where they are useless.

That seems a little bit harsh WC. It has been pointed out many times the the Met are not in a position to ramp. They have to generalize the best they can for the little time they have when doing public media broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Well if I wake tomorrow to find no snow around here and lots over in the West as the met are predicting, I am definitely going up to Glasnevin to protest. I am sick of them sending the snow to the west, sick of it. :pac:

snaps wrote: »
    Lucky you...1.4c here. I see Shannon Radar is OFF AGAIN!

How is your temp tread currently? I am going by my la cross sensor reading at the moment, and the trend is still falling. Because it is stuck inside a bush it may be a bit off accuracy wise. I am sure my Davis on the other side of town is probably reading a little higher.

Very cloudy in west dublin with temperature currently standing at 0 degrees and very, very light precipitation falling....like sleety snow. It it gets any heavier it will be snow, 100 per cent sure.:D

whereabouts in D west r u? I'm in Palmerstown.

Yeah it is snow ok but it is so light that you would barely notice it. Still falling but barely noticeable but it is snow.:D Could and should be a sign of things to come but I do not see anything on Met Eireann radar. Very starnge!!!:rolleyes:

whereabouts in D west r u? I'm in Palmerstown.

Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

off to check outside :D

Yeah it is snow ok but it is so light that you would barely notice it. Still falling but barely noticeable but it is snow.:D Could and should be a sign of things to come but I do not see anything on Met Eireann radar. Very starnge!!!:rolleyes:

They probably can't keep up with the change??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Met Eireann are a joke since last night the have changed there weather charts more times that what i can remember, I have come to the conclusion that the stick there heads out the window to see whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D
    yep the good lamp post light, can see it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Very light drizzle / sleet falling in leixlip now. Feels bitter outside. Hopefully we wake up to a blanket of snow in the morning but i think we may come up short again ! It will be interesting to see the weather forecast on RTE later !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement