Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway driving in Ireland

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

easyily...they could be half a mile back at that speed differential...i did say pull out SAFELY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

corktina wrote: »
    you are selectively reading what i wrote....i carefully referred to ANY vehicle in that position, not just a truck and quite clearly was asking WHY a truck should not be allowed to overtake in those circumatances, to answer "cos its the law" is no answer,
    Agh. You want the reasoning behind it.

My guess is that its purpose is to stop trucks preventing free flowing motorway traffic(as mentioned in other posts).
    Say you have one fully laden truck at 80 trying to overtake another (slightly less powerful maybe) truck at 77kmh. The 2 of them would be side by side for many many kilometres.
    Neither truck benefits in a major way. But all other road users lose out in a massive way.
    So you dont want that. So you ban it. (the guards enforcing the rules though is another matter)

Or a simpler reason why the rule exists. The Irish authorities made a botch job of copying the UK rules and implemented the truck overtaking ban for all motorways incl 2 lane, whereas in the UK its only the very outermost lane of a 3 lane or more motorway.
    See rule 265 here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862

NOTE: on the continent trucks ARE allowed on the overtaking lane of a 2 lane motorway as a rule BUT on hills and busy roads there are local bans, denoted by permanent signs or the dynamic overhead electronic signs.

your second reason is exactly what i said in the first place many posts back.A badly drafted regulation which they need to revise but lack the courage. Proof? well so far as Ima ware trucks ARE permitted in the outer lane of a Dual Carrigeway and SOME of these are 120 km/h designated although they arent motorways.

BTW there is feck all flow of traffic on Ireland Mways in reality to hinder...very quite roads by European standards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

your second reason is exactly what i said in the first place many posts back.A badly drafted regulation which they need to revise but lack the courage. Proof? well so far as Ima ware trucks ARE permitted in the outer lane of a Dual Carrigeway and SOME of these are 120 km/h designated although they arent motorways.

BTW there is feck all flow of traffic on Ireland Mways in reality to hinder...very quite roads by European standards.

There are *THREE* 120km/h dual carriageways in Ireland. The N25 East Cork Parkway, the N1 at the border and the N28 Ballincollig BP. That is it.

Pretty much the entire pre-2005 motorway network has high European levels of traffic on it - its only the new MIU network that doesn't. Its also the MIU network that has the worst driving on it from my (extensive) experience of driving around Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

minikin wrote: »
    because when I'm overtaking on the motorway, doing 120, and a truck pulls out in front of me, doing 90, and sits alongside his trucker buddy while a tailback forms behind him I tend to think that his mind is obviously on the next prostitute he's going to murder rather than the safety of other road users.
    WHAT AN IDIOTIC POST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

sorry malcox, come again, have I offended you in some way... please explain.

What has a comment like that got to do with the thread. You should say what you posted there to a few hgv drivers and see what their reaction is.
    I would love to see what you do for a living.

chil...it was a quote from TOP GEAR....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 quacker79

chil...it was a quote from TOP GEAR....
    Very offensive comment above. Some people obviously were at the back of the room when brains were been handed out:mad:

That is minikin i mean

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a specific reference to the Ipswich murders, via Top Gear...

• Advertisement

quacker79 wrote: »
    Very offensive comment above. Some people obviously were at the back of the room when brains were been handed out:mad:

im hoping you dont mean my post....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 quacker79

im hoping you dont mean my post....
    Not at all corktina, minikin I find it very degrading for any driver.

apologies to all by referring to a joke that has been broadcast internationally on tv by one of the most popular motoring programmes in recent years...

It was very insensitive of me to resurrect such a hurtful remark that must have brought tears to the eyes of truck drivers, accross Ireland and the U.K., at the time it was originally broadcast.

The next time one of these gentle folk needs access to the outer lane to overtake a fellow merchant of the highway I shall endeavour to postpone my progress in honour of the fine work they do in spreading commerce throughout our great land and in reparation for the despair I have heaped upon their sensitive shoulders by my unworthy remarks.

that sarcastic enough for ye?

I think that program is for seven year old kids. I watched it lately as i thought they would review the new audi a8 but they made a laugh of it. If half of these mopes in their commuter cars got out of the fast lane and stop hogging the motorway would run a lot more freely. I prefer to drive a audi q7 to dublin as people always get out of your way when they see 2 tonnes of german architecture coming up their little tailpipes:D:D:D

I think that program is for seven year old kids.

that's Tot Gear you're thinking of...

Hope you will be in the slower lane little commuter friend..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::P

are you a truck driver malcox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

My guess is that its purpose is to stop trucks preventing free flowing motorway traffic(as mentioned in other posts).
    Say you have one fully laden truck at 80 trying to overtake another (slightly less powerful maybe) truck at 77kmh. The 2 of them would be side by side for many many kilometres.
    Neither truck benefits in a major way. But all other road users lose out in a massive way.
    So you dont want that. So you ban it. (the guards enforcing the rules though is another matter)

Happens all the time on the M1, the gardai should do something about this

minikin wrote: »
    are you a truck driver malcox?
    I am not are you what has this got to do with the thread

no I am, as you correctly identified me, just one of the little commuters.

why'd you get so upset about the top gear based post, my post was targeted at the very drivers whose incomprehension of the traffic legislation would result in delaying normal road users, be they in an Audi Q7 or otherwise. Are you getting offended on their behalf?

• Advertisement

Im not but i know a few fellas that would. Trust me go into the topaz in dubli port or other truck place and shout your comments and see what happens:P:P:P:P:P:P:P.

i think you'd find you'd get a better reaction repeating the joke in dublin port than if you defended their chronic driving at the funeral of a little commuter who they've crushed to death... just to make this clear: I have no problem with the 99% of professional truck/bus drivers who actually give a fup about other road users... I'm talking about the other 1% of prostitute-murdering, cyclist crushing, non-indicating, overtaking, overloaded, tail-gating asses that I come accross on my daily commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

As a former truck driver I think I could count on the toes of one hand the number of prostitutes I killed, or cyclists I crushed but I do take the point about overtaking.
    There are some drivers who will overtake with only 2 or 3 mph in hand. If a hill comes up and they are carrying a heavier load it will take even that advantage away. The driver should know this and allow for it, otherwise you could travel a long way before finally clearing the other truck, in the meantime something else has closed up and removed the option to ease off and go back in behind.
    Truck drivers are under such pressure to make deliveries these days that sometimes common sense and good manners are lost.
    I still think the language in the post was over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm closing this thread.

When I have actually had something to eat and have time to review it I will follow up with matters like bans and infractions. For now, the number of reports I've had makes it clear that civilised discussion is not guaranteed.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement