Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway driving in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To me the most dangerous idiots on the roads are the ones that insist on driving continuously in the overtaking lane at 130Kmh, inches away from your front bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

To me the most dangerous idiots on the roads are the ones that insist on driving continuously in the overtaking lane at 130Kmh, inches away from your front bumper.

Why don't you slow down and move back away from them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bmaxi wrote: »
    Why don't you slow down and move back away from them? :)

ooo he did leave hinself open to that one.....cruel though...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

Hi there, I'm new here, but here's the story:
    this morning I was on the way to Dublin on the Naas road and surprise some idiot is in the 3rd lane driving arround 120km/h 1st lane had barely few trucks in it... good few cars were overtaking this lad on the 2nd lane... and another thing about this driver I did not mention... there was only one person in the car and it was some Naas driving school vehicle, means there is a chance it was driven by the driving instructor himself...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

smitas5 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm new here, but here's the story:
    this morning I was on the way to Dublin on the Naas road and surprise some idiot is in the 3rd lane driving arround 120km/h 1st lane had barely few trucks in it... good few cars were overtaking this lad on the 2nd lane... and another thing about this driver I did not mention... there was only one person in the car and it was some Naas driving school vehicle, means there is a chance it was driven by the driving instructor himself...:eek:

Eh, this thread is about Motorways....
    the Dublin to Naas road isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Also the guy in the 3rd lane was already going 20kph over the limit, the people whizzing past in the centre lane were not award winners either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

then why are you guys talking about 3 lane traffic so much? if there are any more stretches of 3 lane roads in ireland let me know, I drive more than 70K a year and would come handy

then why are you guys talking about 3 lane traffic so much? if there are any more stretches of 3 lane roads in ireland let me know, I drive more than 70K a year and would come handy

clue in the title....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

the rsa should do some tv ads about motorway driving (like the roundabout ones they've done) - the only way to get through to some drivers.

it's all explained clearly here but sure who reads anymore :)

I love when truckers overtake each other on the motorway... utter fupping morons.

well the motorway regs do say that trucks must not be in the outside lane but Im sure they really meant that to apply to a 3 lane mway not a 2 lane one (as in the UK) You cant expect trucks to play follow me leader all day can you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

and also....when you are driving in the "slow lane" and cars are merging in from your left........you let them merge.........some people seem offended when a merging car tries to get onto a motorway...Like to see them survive a day on an english motorway. One can almost imagine the other driver saying "who does he think he is "

well the motorway regs do say that trucks must not be in the outside lane but Im sure they really meant that to apply to a 3 lane mway not a 2 lane one (as in the UK)

rsa website:
    You must not use the lane nearest the central median (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the motorway width) if you are driving:

a goods vehicle with a design gross vehicle weight of more than 3,500 kilograms,
    a passenger vehicle with seating for more than 8 passengers (aside from the driver), or
    a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan.
    You cant expect trucks to play follow me leader all day can you!
    I can & I do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

corktina wrote: »
    well the motorway regs do say that trucks must not be in the outside lane but Im sure they really meant that to apply to a 3 lane mway not a 2 lane one (as in the UK) You cant expect trucks to play follow me leader all day can you!

it is an offence for a HGV to be in the overtaking lane of a motorway (this also includes 2 lane motorways). If I remember correctly its €60 fine and 1 penalty point. However if a truck driver did overtake and did not hold up traffic in the overtaking lane or cause any traffic to brake suddenly, a Garda could use his/her discretion.

TheNog wrote: »
    it is an offence for a HGV to be in the overtaking lane of a motorway (this also includes 2 lane motorways). If I remember correctly its €60 fine and 1 penalty point. However if a truck driver did overtake and did not hold up traffic in the overtaking lane or cause any traffic to brake suddenly, a Garda could use his/her discretion.

hopefully they would use their common sense....not all trucks can sit on their speed limiter particularly uphill

minikin wrote: »
    rsa website:

I can & I do! :)

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

hopefully they would use their common sense....not all trucks can sit on their speed limiter particularly uphill

Agreed but again as long as it doesnt create a hazard to other drivers who are travelling at a higher speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

My favourite ever was on the (newish) M20 between Limerick and Patrickswell where two lads on sulkies were racing each other. One was on the hard shoulder, the other on the inside lane, and about 20 feet behind them a Toyota Dyna pick-up doing about 35 mph and driving half-on the hard shoulder with the hazards on. The safety car, I suppose.
    Only in Ireland would you see something like that.:rolleyes:

why?

because when I'm overtaking on the motorway, doing 120, and a truck pulls out in front of me, doing 90, and sits alongside his trucker buddy while a tailback forms behind him I tend to think that his mind is obviously on the next prostitute he's going to murder rather than the safety of other road users.

MOD EDIT: Please see following posts for explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

because when I'm overtaking on the motorway, doing 120, and a truck pulls out in front of me, doing 90, and sits alongside his trucker buddy while a tailback forms behind him I tend to think that his mind is obviously on the next prostitute he's going to murder rather than the safety of other road users.

What kind of people think something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SC024 wrote: »
    You need to have watched Top gear to understand that quote :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the M50, part of the N2 to Ashbourne, the N4 between the M4 and the M50, part of the Cork SRR, a few sections of 3 lanes between junctions (M8, N6 Athlone BP...).

Its not just the Naas DC!

all truckdrivers! :)

ignoring the unoriginal quote,,,,

if he were driving a car doing 1 km/h more than a truck on lane 1, would you still think they shouldnt be there? Whatever speed anyone wants to drive at is perfectly legal (up to the max limit) and if you come up behind them , then you have to adjust your speed. Tough titty if you get held up...and I cant see any difference between a Truck or any other vehicle doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

if he were driving a car doing 1 km/h more than a truck on lane 1, would you still think they shouldnt be there?

Yes. Firstly if someone moves into a lane they must do so without causing traffic in that lane to have to slow to accommodate them. Secondly you are supposed to overtake and return to the left lane, not drive alongside vehicles in the driving lane.

you miss the point....he is overtaking but only going slightley faster, maybe he cant go any faster but if he isnt a truck, he has a right to be there, and if you come up behind him, which you would quite quickly given the speed differential, then you'd have to wait wouldnt you. Im not suggesting he has pulled out in front of anyone, just they have come upon a situation where say, Driver in Lane 1 is doing 80 km and driver doing , say , 85 is passing him.

Why should it matter whether driver two is driving a truck or anything else?

apologies for the unoriginal quote, didn't know I'd wandered into the creative writing forum... i'll try harder in future.

you're choosing to miss the point... what's the maximum speed a hgv may travel on a motorway? 80km/h... so can you tell me how on earth it is ok for a hgv to pull out into the path of vehicles that are already in the overtaking lane (doing 120km/h) - thereby forcing the vehicles already in that lane to decelerate to 80km/h.

It's completely inconsiderate, dangerous and in breach of the rules of the road - there is no excuse for it - end of story.

well lets say truck A is heavily laden and going uphill at 65 km/h and truck B* is empty and doing 80 km/h.Theres a gap in the traffic, why on earth shouldnt he be allowed to pull out if he can do so safely and overtake? If someone should catch up with him during the manoevre, then they have to adjust their speed...simples.

*(or maybe Van C, or little old lady D)

What you are saying is I am more important than this other guy and he should keep out of my way so I can keep going at 120 km/h....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

well lets say truck A is heavily laden and going uphill at 65 km/h and truck B* is empty and doing 80 km/h.Theres a gap in the traffic, why on earth shouldnt he be allowed to pull out if he can do so safely and overtake? .
    He shouldnt because the rules of the road say so.
    You must not use the lane nearest the central median (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the motorway width) if you are driving:
    - a goods vehicle with a design gross vehicle weight of more than 3,500 kilograms,

You may use it, however, in exceptional circumstances when you cannot proceed in the inner lane because of a blockage ahead. You may also use it if you are at a location on a motorway where a speed limit of 80km/h or less applies.
    A vehicle going at 65 is not a blockage.

you are selectively reading what i wrote....i carefully referred to ANY vehicle in that position, not just a truck and quite clearly was asking WHY a truck should not be allowed to overtake in those circumatances, to answer "cos its the law" is no answer,

• Advertisement

Hi Corktina, you keep taking what I type and substituting your own scenario in an effort to justify bad driving...
    Theres a gap in the traffic, why on earth shouldnt he be allowed to pull out if he can do so safely and overtake?

This is not the situation I made the point about... so you can keep dropping in your own "well if there's a st patricks day parade/aliens/a load of giraffes blocking the inside line" until your blue in the face... won't make one bit of difference because it has nothing to do with the point I'm making.

I'm talking about, and I'll repeat it for clarity, "how on earth it is ok for a hgv to pull out into the path of vehicles that are already in the overtaking lane (doing 120km/h) - thereby forcing the vehicles already in that lane to decelerate to 80km/h."
    1. somebody is already in the overtaking lane, about 100 metres behind a hgv/bus/large plate of jelly on wheels on the inside lane
    2. said hgv/bus/jelly on wheels abruptly pulls out into the overtaking lane forcing people already in that lane to furiously decelerate from 120km/h to 80km/h
    3. said non-hgv/non-bus/non-jelly on wheels has to sit behind this clown who is ignoring the rules of the road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement