Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In the back field here, I am still in over the top of the wellies in some places...

Not very scientific! And it surprised me

K-9 wrote: »
    Good God, I don't think Grace in the Blue Stacks or even Owen up North seen those levels.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well looking at the charts this morning, if we didnt see snow in Dublin in the coming week i'd seriously throw in the towel as the synoptics are about as good as someone looking for snow in this country could every imagine.

We are entering one of the coldest periods of winter weather in decades.

The first week in 2010 is set to be bitterly cold with a direct feed of Polar air down over Ireland. Heavy snow showers are likely and very severe frosts. Daytime temperatures will hardly rise above freezing at best with icy conditions persisting all day in many areas and nightime minima will fall below -5 degrees and in places below minus 10 degrees. Friday (New Year's Day): Heavy snow showers likely over Ulster. Sunny spells and scattered snow showers possible over Connacht and Leinster and mainly dry over Munster. Daytime temperatures around zero. Friday night minima of zero to -6 degrees. Saturday & Sunday: Some sunny spells but scattered heavy snow showers likely….. all areas at risk but most especially Ulster and Leinster. Daytime temperatures around zero dropping to between -5 and -10 at night.

Most severe outlook i have ever seen posted by the Met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

morning all

just stuck head outta window and its quite windy out there! no snow, there was some rain last night and it didn't freeze for the first time in ages..

I have also never in my life seen such Ensemble support

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

YES WC it's looking really bad.the east is gonna be very badly disrupted by thursday night/friday then the north and maybe parts of munster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Morn all.

after the 7 or so inches that fell last night I woke at 4am to find it raining quite heavily.

Went back to sleep, this morning the north side of the house has thawed substantially, about 3 inches of mush left. South side of the house has about 6 inches.

Wind is N-NE, about 30kmh, very cold wind, feels like -5. How the snow is still thawing I dont know.

All my gutter icicles have gone as has the snow in the windows & stuck to vertical walls.

Am very cold & still with no water or heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

ch750536 wrote: »
    Morn all.

after the 7 or so inches that fell last night I woke at 4am to find it raining quite heavily.

Went back to sleep, this morning the north side of the house has thawed substantially, about 3 inches of mush left. South side of the house has about 6 inches.

Wind is N-NE, about 30kmh, very cold wind, feels like -5. How the snow is still thawing I dont know.

All my gutter icicles have gone as has the snow in the windows & stuck to vertical walls.

Am very cold & still with no water or heating.

that sounds like a very cold miserable place this morning... back to bed if you can and wrap up warm... brrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

eskimocat wrote: »
    that sounds like a very cold miserable place this morning... back to bed if you can and wrap up warm... brrrr

Tis cold, tis not miserable. Mrs Ch & I am treating this like a fun game, the kids love it too.

'Lets put some snow in the oven so we can wash our faces later!'
    'Daddy, you can't cook snow.'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Looking at predictions here I would say everyone should get out today and stock up before the rest of the country goes into panic buying mode. It has started up here with water already. I don't think anyone should underestimate just how disruptive the coming 7-10 days could be. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

just now Evelyn Cusack spoke of "isolated snow showers" tomorrow and snow showers over Ulster on Friday. Are we sure we are getting anything significant on Th/Fri/Sat after this band of misery has cleared south?

I would LOVE to!

No chance.

Sigh :(
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Looking at predictions here I would say everyone should get out today and stock up before the rest of the country goes into panic buying mode. It has started up here with water already. I don't think anyone should underestimate just how disruptive the coming 7-10 days could be. Better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

inabina wrote: »
    just now Evelyn Cusack spoke of "isolated snow showers" tomorrow and snow showers over Ulster on Friday. Are we sure we are getting anything significant on Th/Fri/Sat after this band of misery has cleared south?

Well the convective shower trains will develope in irish sea so its hit and miss with some parts

Trying something....

snowone.jpg

snow3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres the RTE RADIO 1 forecast from this morning.
    Rte radio 1 forecast.wav - 21.46MB

snowtwo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pics working fine there graces. Put them all in the weather pic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Dublin City centre this morning - Wind chill is enough to strip the skin off your face. The rain is alternating between freezing cold water, sleet. It is horrendous. Im not sure this snow chasing is worth it - bring back temperate dublin

May take time; signal here is wildly erratic and the phone also is not good..

I had to upload them to my weblog then copy/paste and it has taken over an hour.

Will give it a quick try

Need to go out not to try to leave a note for help on the barn up the lane for when they come fo feed stock.

Back later all bneing well;; being we;;
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Pics working fine there graces. Put them all in the weather pic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I can't believe it, there no snow.......
    It was never expected here!

Temp has been quite constant past 24hours.

Max 4.7C
    Min 3.9C
    DP 2.5-3C throughout.
    20mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Graces7 wrote: »
    May take time; signal here is wildly erratic and the phone also is not good..

I had to upload them to my weblog then copy/paste and it has taken over an hour.

Will give it a quick try

Need to go out not to try to leave a note for help on the barn up the lane for when they come fo feed stock.

Back later all bneing well;; being we;;
    you be careful out there Grace.

Mothman wrote: »
    I can't believe it, there no snow.......
    It was never expected here!

Temp has been quite constant past 24hours.

Max 4.7C
    Min 3.9C
    DP 2.5-3C throughout.
    20mm
    yup and I don't see snow before midnight tonight anywhere on low ground near the East coast with stats like that.
    Tomorrow is a different story but still a hit and miss affair shower wise.
    Some might have white outs and others totally dry.

Cue the "wah wah this is the worst cold spell evah posts".

I fear the coming week may bring on winter supreme though..winter very supreme indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I fear the coming week may bring on winter supreme though..winter very supreme indeed.

You fear:confused::)

Though frozen pipes is no fun with thirsty cows....
    I hope you're fairly well set up in this regard.

Although in this regard with the feed coming via sea we will escape the deep freeze for time being

I have also never in my life seen such Ensemble support

MT8_Dublin_ens.png
    Yup as Granny would have said...

jebus mary and joseph...!

(look at the 2m temp ensemble and gfs usually undercooks those!)

MT2_Dublin_ens.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Our fine covering of snow at 120m asl in West Limerick has disappeared (turned back to sleet again last night and damaged all the lovely snow :mad:)

Not bad morning outside but either way I'm hapy we had snow even if only for a brief period:D

Mothman wrote: »
    You fear:confused::)

Though frozen pipes is no fun with thirsty cows....
    I hope you're fairly well set up in this regard.
    I've had to use the running taps option and 2 spare rolls of 3 quarter inch pipe.
    One in use whilst the other is being thawed in a bath of hot water last week.

Luckily so far heavily occupied sheds have kept internal pipes from freezing but it's when they go outdoors that the problem starts.
    Rest bite from that and a rest fot the water pump for the past few days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Discussing it on radio 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

E.Cusack just starting to discuss the weather for the coming days on rte1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Stupid rte presenter saying the east has been getting the worst of the weather, got it bad enough here but nothing compared to the north western half of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow level in the fields risen to about 400 metres today. Will have to go to work this afternoon :( Not happy!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement