Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Some indications that the cold spell looks like staying with us for those who wish to throw their hat at their chances of seeing snow

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=205&DAY=20091228

http://theweatheroutlook.com/

Like the look of this polar low forming to the north west of norway. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 (takes a min to load the entire run).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I took a quick trip up to johnny foxes pub in the Dublin mtns earlier this eve. had to turn back though cause the snow was about 4-5inches on the road. It was falling as sleet and was coming up as 1.5c on my car thermometer. Since its been raining heavily in dublin all day id say the wicklow mtns will get at least 30cm of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Not sure where to post this one ...its still snowing , theres going to be some crazy depts on the high ground here in kerry by morning ,trust me on this one please , at 1am my snow depth is 12.5 cm (5 ins)

img0753m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this one ...its still snowing , theres going to be some crazy depts on the high ground here in kerry by morning ,trust me on this one please , at 1am my snow depth is 12.5 cm (5 ins)

img0753m.jpg

Good God, I don't think Grace in the Blue Stacks or even Owen up North seen those levels.

Wow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Nice pic Kerry. Thanks. Just under four inches here. Much more where snow has drifted. Have sleepers at the back of the house - its right up to and over the top of the them. That's about 5 inches or slightly more

• Advertisement

K9 i haven't seen them depths myself since Dec 2000 .

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Could someone check this website it's for Kildare's weather cheers... it looks like snow for Thursday, I'm not fully up with the detailed weather forcast ie :isobars etc, I'm learning more from reading your posts... thanks.. link is below..

http://weather.ie.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:EIXX0033&q=Naas%2C+Kildare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It will be mostly rain tomorrow but turning increasingly sleety with some back edge snow tomorrow night. You won't see snow in Kildare tonight generally but later tomorrow some snow is likely for that location.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Nice pic Kerry. Thanks. Just under four inches here. Much more where snow has drifted. Have sleepers at the back of the house - its right up to and over the top of the them. That's about 5 inches or slightly more

Yes indeed WI , the snow is piling up at the back of my house also , the stacks mountain peak 'Crusline' is just under 1200 ft , and its 2km from here , im expecting record snow depth up there in the morning ;)....unless it all thaws before than :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

K9 i haven't seen them myself since Dec 2000 .

From what I remember of Dec 00, it didn't take 11 days to thaw out!

Neither did 95.

Those that have/get snow are going to tell the grandkiddies of this event!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No snow here at the moment anyway . . . stopped raining an hour or so ago.

Lads. Any of you know enough about Polar Lows to comment on this polar low forming to the north west of norway. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 (takes a min to load the entire run).

I read up on them and they tend to lose their intensity as they travel over land but this one is heading straight down the North Sea towards Shetland. With the predicted NE to E is there any chance this big bugger could make it here? I know Polar Lows are an extremely rare occurence in this country but they have happened before, albeit most of them originating from Iceland direction.

ANOTHER VIEWimage.ashx?country=eu&type=slide&index=12&time=&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

darkman2 wrote: »
    It will be mostly rain tomorrow but turning increasingly sleety with some back edge snow tomorrow night. You won't see snow in Kildare tonight generally but later tomorrow some snow is likely for that location.

Thanks Darkman..

cocoemma wrote: »
    Thanks Darkman..

NP - you shall be rewarded on Thursday and Friday:D *if not then at the weekend*;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Well tbh this is a bit ****...

Started snowing at about 3.30 this afternoon and the grass and drive way were covered in snow (big flakes and all) but since then its got less and less wintry as the evening has gone on......just have driving drizzle now (gerry murphy style weather)......pathetic

Was it not meant to get colder:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

What about Dublin... It just never seems to manage to get to centre of the city.:mad:

Stevek101 wrote: »
    What about Dublin... It just never seems to manage to get to centre of the city.:mad:

It's coming......from Thursday onward.

100258.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temps still rising, Dublin now 4C, was 3C earlier, were now almost at the southern end of the front which I guess is where the warmer air is. Our road is starting to flood and all the rain has to come back down 2moro so I think there will be quite a bit of flooding about 2moro.

BBC video update http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

not much going on east coast thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

YOU won't see that on a forecast but they are guaranteed to form in irish sea and be heavy blowing inland somewhat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tis' raining hard again here . . .

redsunset wrote: »
    YOU won't see that on a forecast but they are guaranteed to form in irish sea and be heavy blowing inland somewhat
    I have no doubt Red. Sorry...was just pointing out the BBC's view of it. Night all.

ps...still snowing here. 13-14 hrs solid now. Tomorrow should be fun driving to work!

They don't give a fcuk about Ireland - they are not obliged to show our weather. There will be snow showers later Thursday and Friday night. Probrably Friday too. The heavy convective type with thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

100258.jpg

*goes off to website listed on bottom of image to make some dodgy receipts!* hehe....

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

All is quite here in S. Kerry .The front seems to have stalled. Any idea when it will move south?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

*goes off to website listed on bottom of image to make some dodgy receipts!* hehe....

Can I get a refund? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

1c here and by the looks of all the water outside, nothing but rain. Perhaps we are stuck with this front for ever? Will it ever move away southwards like promised? Also temps have risen like crazy all over the UK and Scotland overnight!!! Lossiemouth in Scotland was -12c last night and now is currently showing 0.7c!!!!

Hey WolfeIRE,looking into that low developing you pointed out earlier.

first of all click on scandinavia to get a better view of it on sat 24.

Looks better swirling.

now this fax shows it up lovely.The 992 low soon detaches from the 980 low and begins to sink south(shown in next fax)

low3.jpg

low4.jpg

Moving ahead to NEW YEARS DAY she sits to the north east of scotland.

low5.jpg

Now i'll only go that far with the fax track on it because it will change somewhat.
    However it's not the polar low that forms out of the blue and only lasts 12 to 24 hrs.
    its a polar low depression.
    But you know about that already.

interesting though,worth keeping an eye on.

The ECM has it in its sights too seen here on this 850mb temps chart,notice the warmer core north east of scotland,that her centre.

low6.JPG

Here's a pdf of the wonderful polar low we so crave that i have posted before,
    http://www.geo-web.org.uk/PolarLow.pdf

• Advertisement

Image taken 00.15 and the same low can be seen inside the arctic circle.

low7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement