Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options
  • 29-12-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

New thread for continued discussion of potential snowfall and severe gales tonight, Wednesday and Thursday.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

hey WC - Any idea when we should hit a bit of colder air ? Still temp 5 & DP 2.9.... Lil bit too high for snow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Brilliant vids Kerry 1960 - thanks for uploading:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

10.40PM Snow Report

Guys - this is best I could do based on boards.ie reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Lashing rain here and 2.1c - all of the earlier snow has melted

100246.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Kerry66 wrote:
    Here are some vid links for local conditions today ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqj-Q8Gi1Dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veiql34PUZo

this around 6pm , heavy snow has continued since wink.gif.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jL4zwZpzk

Kerry, thanks a million for those vid clips! Great stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

leahyl wrote: »
    Brilliant vids Kerry 1960 - thanks for uploading:)

Yeh nice vid, wish i had a video camera myself to show what it was like up and around Kells Glenbeigh... practically whitetout at times. BTW what road is that?

100246.jpg

You've posted that 3 times now.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Long time stalker, first time poster in here:)

It's spitting rain up here, by the UCC in Cork.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    10.40PM Snow Report

Guys - this is best I could do based on boards.ie reports.

Thanks once again Wolf. I am surprised there was snow reports south of Tuam all the way to Galway City. The whole area is not known for its great elevation (averages around 30m asl), I am higher here, closer to 40m asl and further away from the sea, so needless to say I am a little aghast that all I got is rain!

but not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I have numerous icicles and snow sticking to verical walls.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Howling gale and lashing rain here, sounds like the roof is going to take off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Rain finally stopped here, temp is on the rise from 2.9c about 40mins ago to to 3.3c now.

Has been snowing for 9 hrs now. It really is amazing folks. I am 450ft above sea level. I know that the snow line has been dropping all evening and it is now just a mile or two outside ennis which is not much above sea level. There are very few cars on the main road between ennis and miltown malbay - perhaps one every 15-20 mins. The snow is 3-4 inches deep on road. I have not seen anything like this here since 1995.

more to come too
    3hr-rain.gif

Has been snowing for 9 hrs now. It really is amazing folks. I am 450ft above sea level. I know that the snow line has been dropping all evening and it is now just a mile or two outside ennis which is not much above sea level. There are very few cars on the main road between ennis and miltown malbay - perhaps one very 15-20 mins. The snow is 3-4 inches deep on road. I have not seen anything like this here since 1995.

more to come too
    3hr-rain.gif

wow - amazing and it's as calm as could be here in Cork City - well the Northside anyway- not a snowflake or raindrop in sight.....the weather is fascinating:)

Rain is actually getting a little heavier here, but surprise surprise, temp is now starting to rise. Now on 2.0c and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Kerry, thanks a million for those vid clips! Great stuff. :)

Cheers DE , official snow depth a few hrs ago was 10cm , has continued snowing since so i would reckon a few more cms on top of that .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This cold spell is really something , just look at ocean fms headlines, its all weather related! http://oceanfm.ie/
    I seen on a programme the last day about the 47 and 62 snow that electricity in the uk had to be cut off becuz of the snow , imagine what it would be like if that had to happen, it snowed everyday for 3 months in the uk that time in the 47 snow.

Water supplies continue to cause problems

Donegal County Council is continuing to ration water with supplies being turned off at night in most areas in the South of the County.

This is in order to ensure that there is enough supply during the day time hours.

The affected areas are mainly Bundoran, Ballyshannon, Rossnowlagh, Ballintra, Donegal Town, Frosses and Inver.

County Manager addresses “unprecedented” water problems

Donegal County Manager Michael Mc Loone has said the water crisis which is affecting the county is unprecedented in its scope, with sparodic leaks all over the county.

Mr Mc Loone says reservoir shutdowns similar to those carried out last night will be put into effect again tonight, and said that extra staff have been called in to deal with the problems.

He repeated earlier calls from engineers to people not to use the emergency line to seek information, and said the council’s own website will be updated and regular updates will be posted through the media.

He also pledging to ensure that the emergency line, which is currently routed through a call centre in Cork, is answered as quickly as possible, and sais regular updates will be given through the media, and posted on the council’s own website www.donegalcoco.ie

Meanwhile, after tankers were sent to Muff again today to address shortages there, a tanker was deployed in Lifford this evening to serve the Croghan Heights area which had been without water for a long period.

• Advertisement

Anyone who has not posted about snow in their area, could they please do so. Please state your location in proximity to the nearest village/town or landmark. Ta. Going to do one more of those snow updates and make it the final one. Hopefully, much of the country will be under a red dot this time tomorrow.

New ME update. No specified locations for tonight.

29 December 2009 21:53

Today Cold and windy tonight, with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow. Lowest temperatures zero to plus 3 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Wednesday: Mainly dry in the north and northwest; over the rest of the country there will be further outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow. Another cold, windy day with highest temperatures only 2 to 5 degrees in strong easterly winds.

Outlook

Cold spell continuing into the New Year. WEDNESDAY NIGHT, THURSDAY (NEW YEAR'S EVE) : Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow in many areas at first, gradually moving away southwestwards Wednesday night or early Thursday as drier weather spreads from the north to all parts. Most places then staying dry through Thursday and Thursday night - but scattered heavy sleet or snow showers likely in the east and southeast, perhaps along the north and northwest coasts too. Strong, chilling northeasterly windy at first, easing off for Thursday night, allowing a widespread hard frost to develop, with a risk of icy conditions again. FRIDAY (NEW YEAR'S DAY), SATURDAY : Very cold. Dry throughout in most areas, but an ongoing possibility of scattered heavy sleet or snow showers - the north and northwest most at risk overall, though eastern areas still at risk on Friday. Widespread hard frosts, with ice and freezing fog in places - may linger through the day at times. As on Thursday night, nighttime temperatures falling to - 5 C or lower in places. Winds much lighter overall than on previous days, northerly or variable in direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

Has been snowing for 9 hrs now. It really is amazing folks. I am 450ft above sea level. I know that the snow line has been dropping all evening and it is now just a mile or two outside ennis which is not much above sea level. There are very few cars on the main road between ennis and miltown malbay - perhaps one every 15-20 mins. The snow is 3-4 inches deep on road. I have not seen anything like this here since 1995.

more to come too
    3hr-rain.gif
    Sounds great, will you take a picture? Even tomorrow if not tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

leahyl wrote: »
    You've posted that 3 times now.....;)

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

You posted at least 130 random comments in the last thread between today and yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Horrid night here, rain and a howling gale.

VeVeX wrote: »
    Pot and kettle spring to mind.

You posted at least 130 random comments in the last thread between today and yesterday.

I was joking - i'm not trying to start anything so please stop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Horrid night here, rain and a howling gale.

Compare that to Cork City where nothing is happening. Spitty rain, not much wind and not too cold

Only interesting aspect (or not) of the weather here today was the incredible lack of temperature change since last midnight to the present:

100248.jpg

Currently at 2.2c. :rolleyes:

Richyj_0 wrote: »
    Sounds great, will you take a picture? Even tomorrow if not tonight?
    just took this on my crappy phone. No digital camera:rolleyes:

this is my driveway. Got home about an hour ago and footprints are already being filled in by continuing snow. I dug out one of the footprints to illustrate the depth. Sorry again for terrible pic. The other one is slightly better. taken at a neighbours house at about 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Hi All,

I'm new at this, I just joined now.. I usually view these posts but I never joined, I'm absolutley facinated with the weather. I've just read through the threads and I find it quite interesting, I'm in Kildare and it's been raining non stop since 2 o clock today it started off with a little sleet then just heavy rainfall and strong winds ever since. It seems that the rain is easing now and it seems just a little bit too warm to snow or freeze over. What I find interesting from what I read is the fact it's snowing in clare all day, in waterford the rain has just stopped and cork is calm..

I checked RTE weather and it's seems promising for snow.. However I checked Sky News weather site and it just had all day today and tomorrow, Can anyone advise why both these reports are conflicting and what webiste can I get accurate weather reports understandably then weather changes so nothings for sure but the more accurate the better.. I'm looking forward to further chats in the future..:):)

• Advertisement

just took this on my crappy phone. No digital camera:rolleyes:

this is my driveway. Got home about an hour ago and footprints are already being filled in by continuing snow. I dug out one of the footprints to illustrate the depth. Sorry again for terrible pic. The other one is slightly better. taken at a neighbours house at about 7.30

Looks good to me! How is the wind featuring with the snow Wolf? It is quite blowy here at the moment, so with the snow down there it must be mad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement