Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Graces7 wrote: »
    May take time; signal here is wildly erratic and the phone also is not good..

I found the normally poor Vodafone signal even more erratic than usual during the snow last night with long periods of no service at all :eek: I think we rely on these thing a little too much sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I've had to use the running taps option and 2 spare rolls of 3 quarter inch pipe.
    One in use whilst the other is being thawed in a bath of hot water last week.

Luckily so far heavily occupied sheds have kept internal pipes from freezing but it's when they go outdoors that the problem starts.
    Rest bite from that and a rest fot the water pump for the past few days though.

My cows kept the water coming for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

M2 buoy is still above 6 Celcius... When is this low expected to stop circulating French/Benelux air over us and start delivering the Scandanavian stuff?? And will the fronts have fully retreated by then?

Some backedge showers and the hope of some convection helping us is a bad state of affairs.

Probably not untill after midnight TBC.

If it could talk I'd guess the air thats delivered snow in parts so far would tell you it's the same recirculated air that we have had prior to Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

No snow here, still rain/sleet. Ramp up on met.ie this morning alright. snow snow snow all the way for the first week of Jan!

Was really expecting to see a little bit of snow this morning after the eagle's forecast last night. Temp seems to have held at 3 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The NRA stations aren't appearing on the Irish Weather Network map - the reason seems to be that this link is down: http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Is this something to do with the debate over the state of the roads/lack of grit & salt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Good morning all,
    Well the GFS is rolling out, fingers crossed that low feck’s off so we can get this cold going

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aww, thanks.. all safe back in.

That was interesting; some precipitation sweeping in but until I sorted he photos when I came in I thought it was more rain than snow.

See

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63706366#post63706366

for some rather pretty effects.

And you see why I am stuck in here!

paddybar wrote: »
    you be careful out there Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pangea wrote: »
    Heres the RTE RADIO 1 forecast from this morning.
    Rte radio 1 forecast.wav - 21.46MB

thanks for that, missed it this morning and it certainly sounds like next week will be freezing. hopefully some snow out of it as well for all of us though it seems the north and east will benefit most.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Aww, thanks.. all safe back in.

That was interesting; some precipitation sweeping in but until I sorted he photos when I came in I thought it was more rain than snow.

See

for some rather pretty effects.

And you see why I am stuck in here!

pmd you grace

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

arghhh! just woke up to 2c and it raining!!!!! why is it raining i thought we were cold enough for snow though it looks to be snowing high up though... ugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

yr.no are showing some serious low temps for next week. -4 for midday next Thurs & that is for "warm" Galway !

Sleety snow here since before 9 am.. still sweeping in,, see

Sleety snow here since before 9 am.. still sweeping in,, see

have you got any idea why it would be raining here?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Morning all...another wet and dreary day in Waterford. What time do the "...will it snow in [insert location here] today?" questions usually start at? Haven't seen any yet this morning and I live for those posts....:D

Mine is vodaphone also; am thankful it is independent of the phone line here, which needs upgrading; it is the only access to the internet I can get up here.

And it is adequate; communications are vital when isolated.
    Tactical wrote: »
    I found the normally poor Vodafone signal even more erratic than usual during the snow last night with long periods of no service at all :eek: I think we rely on these thing a little too much sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Mine is vodaphone also; am thankful it is independent of the phone line here, which needs upgrading; it is the only access to the internet I can get up here.

And it is adequate; communications are vital when isolated.

Did you get the pm ??

400 metres of snow?

Supercell wrote: »
    Snow level in the fields risen to about 400 metres today. Will have to go to work this afternoon :( Not happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Still raining on and off, not that cold either.

200motels wrote: »

im surprised with this i thought we were in the dry air and were cold enough to get snow and infact werent ment to get any because the air would blow it south hmmmmmm this is turning out to be awfull..... when will these showers to snow if ever...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

yup and I don't see snow before midnight tonight anywhere on low ground near the East coast with stats like that.
    Tomorrow is a different story but still a hit and miss affair shower wise.
    Some might have white outs and others totally dry.

Cue the "wah wah this is the worst cold spell evah posts".

I fear the coming week may bring on winter supreme though..winter very supreme indeed.

Always getting pushed out eh? Seems to be a common theme in this weather forum :)

200motels wrote: »

yeah same here not that cold at all but met eireann gave it in their forecast as being very cold right now! when is this colder air pushing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

inabina wrote: »
    just now Evelyn Cusack spoke of "isolated snow showers" tomorrow and snow showers over Ulster on Friday. Are we sure we are getting anything significant on Th/Fri/Sat after this band of misery has cleared south?

See, this illustrates the problem. There are so many different views on how the weather will turn out, even sometimes hours out.

I find it all very confusing though WC, and others, here seem to have a decent idea but also get it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I hate this weather. Dull, spitting rain, biting cold wind. Would like some crisp icy sunshine at least, this front has been rubbish. For here at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Dull damp and dreary here today.Temp is a rather mild 4.5c. No chance of snow unless this long awaited cold air arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

mickger wrote: »
    Dull damp and dreary here today.Temp is a rather mild 4.5c. No chance of snow unless this long awaited cold air arrives.

We'll be waiting I'd say.......

Always getting pushed out eh? Seems to be a common theme in this weather forum :)
    ah well..
    We have 2 definites.
    Where the cold air is and whats stopping it coming through.
    Front will move south and then the fun and games begin..especially in the East at first

ah well..
    We have 2 definites.
    Front will move south and then the fun and games begin..especially in the East at first

so we have to wait to this rubbish moves south!!!!! arg when will that happen and as soon as this happens will the temps drop. to 0c:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

mickger wrote: »

Here you see why its milder.

The low has buffeted slightly further north than some anticipations.

It will wind up abit ( the mild airs last hurrah?) and then quickly dive into the Atlantic overnight with severe Gales possible in the southwest.

Rtavn062.png

• Advertisement

ah well..
    We have 2 definites.

where is the cold air right now as a matter of interest? i was hoping the two air masses would collide!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement