Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Only interesting aspect (or not) of the weather here today was the incredible lack of temperature change since last midnight to the present:

GRAPH

Currently at 2.2c. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that DE yes the trend here is about the same, except warmer spanning 6.1C to 4.2C.. a lot further from snow here:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Looks good to me! How is the wind featuring with the snow Wolf? It is quite blowy here at the moment, so with the snow down there it must be mad!

not too blowy although the snow is certainly deeper towards ditch walls along road side, drains, side of house etc. When there is a gust you see a sheet of white outside thw window as rooftop snow is blown down. It is really amazing. Snow has lightened in the last half hour but I am sure it will do that on and off all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    just took this on my crappy phone. No digital camera:rolleyes:

this is my driveway. Got home about an hour ago and footprints are already being filled in by continuing snow. I dug out one of the footprints to illustrate the depth. Sorry again for terrible pic. The other one is slightly better. taken at a neighbours house at about 7.30

.. the pictures are fine, it looks like you got loads of snow.. it looks quite deep..:)
    wow i'm so jealous:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

cocoemma wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new at this, I just joined now.. I usually view these posts but I never joined, I'm absolutley facinated with the weather. I've just read through the threads and I find it quite interesting, I'm in Kildare and it's been raining non stop since 2 o clock today it started off with a little sleet then just heavy rainfall and strong winds ever since. It seems that the rain is easing now and it seems just a little bit too warm to snow or freeze over. What I find interesting from what I read is the fact it's snowing in clare all day, in waterford the rain has just stopped and cork is calm..

I checked RTE weather and it's seems promising for snow.. However I checked Sky News weather site and it just had all day today and tomorrow, Can anyone advise why both these reports are conflicting and what webiste can I get accurate weather reports understandably then weather changes so nothings for sure but the more accurate the better.. I'm looking forward to further chats in the future..:):)

Welcome cocoemma! You might want to put your location in your profile so we'll know where you are when your tell us it's a complete whiteout at your location later this week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

trogdor wrote: »
    Thanks for that DE yes the trend here is about the same, except warmer spanning 6.1C to 4.2C.. a lot further from snow here:p

You may be further from the snow Peter, but I have yet to see any, so we are in the same boat. It is just cold cold rain at the moment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

just took this on my crappy phone. No digital camera:rolleyes:

this is my driveway. Got home about an hour ago and footprints are already being filled in by continuing snow. I dug out one of the footprints to illustrate the depth. Sorry again for terrible pic. The other one is slightly better. taken at a neighbours house at about 7.30

Jeez, you really got proper snow! I don't think i've ever seen snow like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Welcome Cocoemma!
    You may be further from the snow Peter, but I have yet to see any, so we are in the same boat. It is just cold cold rain at the moment. :)

That'd be the rescue boat due to the amount of rain falling:p hopefully the colder air'll start kickin in soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

No snow for me anyhow. Tis raining alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Whats the biggest depth of snow reported in lowerlevels this evening? Is clare covered in snow now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Looking at the BBC online forecast, it is now showing the front being pushed out off the coast to the west rather than down to the south like it was before, it's forecasting more snow for Mayo and Galway at the moment than it has been at any point in the last few days. It then shows it kind of regrouping a few hundred kms off the north west coast of Spain and having another stab at us again on Sunday, so with the cold air still sitting over us we could be looking at a similar marginal situation at the start of next week for more possible snow.

Also, I notived the last thread had over 65,000 views before it was closed, even though it was only started yesterday afternoon - just shows how much interest there is in the weather and how many people find this place informative for forecasts. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Temp rising here can't see anything apart from rain for me tonight

Pangea wrote: »
    Whats the biggest depth of snow reported in lowerlevels this evening? Is clare covered in snow now?
    Not too many posters on here from Clare by the looks of things. The fact that half the county is on dial-up doesn't help I guess. The map shows the latest from Clare based on what I have heard here and on the news.

By the way, have been looking at the latest gefs charts and it shows the west and midwest getting most of the snow from this front before it dies. The charts also now showing that east coast shower activity will not extend much past friday afternoon and will instead be concentrated on N and NW coasts. How bloody annoying for a lot of people here.

Meanwhile, that front is still progressing northwards nicely. Y'all come back now ya hear front! http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Rougies wrote: »
    Welcome cocoemma! You might want to put your location in your profile so we'll know where you are when your tell us it's a complete whiteout at your location later this week :)

Hey Thanks Rougies, I just updated my profile there, i'm in kildare.. Hopefully it'll be reporting a complete whiteout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Raining here again temp of 3.4c. Don't hold out much hope for tomorrow either as the colders temps are just not making it here.

Not too many posters on here from Clare by the looks of things. The fact that half the county is on dial-up doesn't help I guess. The map shows the latest from Clare based on what I have heard here and on the news.

By the way, have been looking at the latest gefs charts and it shows the west and midwest getting most of the snow from this front before it dies. The charts also now showing that east coast shower activity will not extend much past friday afternoon and will instead be concentrated on N and NW coasts. How bloody annoying for a lot of people here.

I totally agree Wolfe.. I think the N and NW have had enough snow and it's time to share.. I was soo looking forward to the snow espec that i'm off work i don't have to travel in it.. altough it still could change in the few hours even...fingers & toes crossed :)

The charts also now showing that east coast shower activity will not extend much past friday afternoon and will instead be concentrated on N and NW coasts. How bloody annoying for a lot of people here.
    GREEAATT , Old reliable north west!
    2zh42aa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

We've had nothing but rain, rain and more rain here in Tallaght all day.

Thinking of going on a drive to slightly higher ground to see if there's even a hint of snow.

Bah, I don't even have a proper temperature gauge in my house.
    Msn weather says it's 3c with a real feel of -3c...

Lovely, all the chills with out the snows. :rolleyes:

There's hope for Thursday and Friday though.

I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

GREEAATT , Old reliable north west!
    2zh42aa.jpg

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will ye forget about the snow, its justs rains on this damp rock of an island you should know that by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

night all, hope that when you awake its to a white carpet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Temperatures increased a bit over the last few hours in Galway city.
    From 1.1 up to 1.5.
    It's been sleet and rain on and off all evening, more rain to be honest.
    Windy at times too.
    The grass remains mostly white and the car park is still slushy but not as much as earlier.
    Hopefully temps will drop a bit a over night and it may even snow in choom. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Meanwhile, that front is still progressing northwards nicely. Y'all come back now ya hear front! http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Iam living in clare between shannon and ennis and can report i havent even seen a snow flake all day just rain and more rain :( we got no snow christmas either.

Weather at shannon airport:
    Temp 2c
    Dew point: 2c
    wind 020 at 8knts.
    Light rain shower.

fryup wrote: »
    will ye forget about the snow, its justs rains on this damp rock of an island you should know that by now

have not had snow like this in my area in 14 years! Makes it all the more special when it happens. People here know that we live in the path of the jetstream and most are realistic about the potential for snow. Many people got snow today and much more will get it tomorrow.

All we have to do now is 'Keep The Dream Alive' for those who did not get snow yet

This cold spell is really something , just look at ocean fms headlines, its all weather related! http://oceanfm.ie/
    I seen on a programme the last day about the 47 and 62 snow that electricity in the uk had to be cut off becuz of the snow , imagine what it would be like if that had to happen, it snowed everyday for 3 months in the uk that time in the 47 snow.

Hey Pangea, I watched this proggramme also it was very good it was on UTV! They also mentioned that in the 1800's or there abouts in London it would snow for months on end and the people who lived in the city and surrounding areas would have ice parties (something similar to that name) the river Thames would be completly frozen over and the locals would set up tents and drink, dance, eat and set up markets. With regards to the 1947 snowfall I'd say that was very hard as the war had just ended so food etc was scarce enough without the farmers losing their crops. The old camera footage of it was excellant some abandoned train in the middle of nowhere... very interesting programme...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Its amazing that it is snowing that much in north clare while their is nothing down south, hopefully some of it will blow my way over night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

congratulations to those who got snow today...enjoy:) and to those who didnt even see a flake keep up the faith, snow is always most appreciated when its unexpected. I look forward to seeing the snow on the ground in the morning in Navan When this persistent sleet turns to snow overnight;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

By the way, have been looking at the latest gefs charts and it shows the west and midwest getting most of the snow from this front before it dies.
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

the radio forecast just there seems to back this guidance. it said the rain has already turned back to snow in many areas(not sure about that, but anyway) and much of the snow from now on would be in the west and midlands. she also mentioned the possibility of 20-30mm of rain falling within the next 24 hours due to the meeting of the different air masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

temp after dropping big time in Rathdrum, supercell are you about to verify! :cool:

cocoemma wrote: »

surrounding areas would have ice parties (something similar to that name)[/B]
    yes indeed, frost fares is the word i think :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can tell you now that the M2 buoy off the Dublin coast was in the 6.0-6.5 Celcius range this morning when I checked it first. It fell to about 5.5-6.0 during the day (can't remember exact figures) and on the last check at 11pm, it was at 6.3 Celcius again:rolleyes:

This is looking like a non-event for all of leinster that's not at >250 metres elevation. A risk of flooding is still an ongoing concern however.

No snow until Thursday morning perhaps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement