Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

ragg wrote: »
    RTE say definite snow :eek:

Gerry Murphy usually afraid of the word 'snow' too......

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

why does Gerry Murphy breath so heavily at the end of his slot:confused:

ragg wrote: »
    RTE say definite snow :eek:

Did they say for where :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rougies wrote: »
    Ooops, missed the forecast, what did he say this time??

Sn sn snnnnnnnn snnnnnnnnnnnn snooooooow! Mostly in the southern half of the country tonight with wintry showers for the weekend in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

inabina wrote: »
    why does Gerry Murphy breath so heavily at the end of his slot:confused:

Because uttering the words "snow" or "wintry" takes an awful lot out of him. They'll have the oxygen mask ready for him on the sidelines.

• Advertisement

Because uttering the words "snow" or "wintry" takes an awful lot out of him.

LOL thats funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Jake1 wrote: »
    Did they say for where :)

Tonight: anywhere south of Mayo
    Dublin

Tomorrow onwards: Anywhere north of Galway
    Wexford that's near a coast.

Im in a fog here. mentally :) will snow, wont snow, will snow wont snow... Im exhausted from hope.

Because uttering the words "snow" or "wintry" takes an awful lot out of him. They'll have the oxygen mask ready for him on the sidelines.

is gerry flemming permanently off the TV? he still works in the met

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ye he seems to think highly for snow 2moro nite and friday nite :)
    Would be a good start to the new year!

This storm at the moment is gettin on my nerves , non-stop rain and a biig huge tree just fell down out my back....Crazyness...............R.I.P MR BIG TREE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

wow - DP finally moving 2.2 temp 3.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just went for a drive to glenmalure from rathdrum through the back roads, sort of a triangle route and if it was too bad loads of roads to take me back..

The difference a couple of feet makes is unreal, we have nothing but rain and sleet but there is a lot of proper snow a little bit further up, and tons of slush on the roads with snow in the bushes...didnt need to go further to know its probably very thick up there.. Will be taking a trip up tomorrow in the light though..

Oh and the full winter tires coped very well with the slush, very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What a boring forecast from murphy, no emotion, not like eagleton who probably will have a scarf , pair of gloves and a cup of hot choclate the next time hes presenting the weather to show us his enthusiasm! lol

is gerry flemming permanently off the TV? he still works in the met
    Not sure, maybe they think he's too old for the camera now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hi Su. Im up the road in Lucan. I was wondering if you could tell me two things, one, do you think I might get snow here? also, if so, do you have any idea of the time? is it between now and 3.00? Im not familiar with charts so not sure if thats the time Im reading. Thanks :)

That's the $64,000 question! ME reckon there probably will be periods of sleet or snow between 9pm and 3am, and give a small chance that some of it will be "moderate". They haven't given this warning for Dublin airport, which is only a few miles away, probably because Casement is a little further inland, 150ft higher up, and more influenced by the Dublin mountains, which could cause turbulent downdrafts to slam snowy precipitation down from higher levels. Usually the forecasts for the two are almost identical.

So to answer your question - there will probably be a bit of snow in west Dublin tonight, but nothing that's going to cause any disruption! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Howling gale, and lashing rain in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just went for a drive to glenmalure from rathdrum through the back roads, sort of a triangle route and if it was too bad loads of roads to take me back..

The difference a couple of feet makes is unreal, we have nothing but rain and sleet but there is a lot proper snow a little bit further up, and tons of slush on the roads with snow in the bushes...didnt need to go further to know its probably very thick up there.. Will be taking a trip up tomorrow in the light though..

Oh and the full winter tires coped very well with the slush, very pleased.

Why not drive up through Laragh - Annamoe - Roundwood if you are in the area? Proper snow here :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Supercell wrote: »
    Pics tomorrow morning , if you think i'm going out into that blizzard and taking pics you is crazy!!

What if the blizzard has no brakes!?

The difference a couple of feet makes is unreal, we have nothing but rain and sleet but there is a lot of proper snow a little bit further up.

Yeah it's quite suprising how quickly it changes as you drive up. Did the same here in the Dublin mountains earlier. About 5mins drive to go from cold rain to having to turn around because of heavy snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Looking at the GFS it doesn't look as if everything will be in place here until 6am tomorrow just as the precipitation moves away -> 0C DP, -5 850HPa, 528 dam thicknesses (?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su Campu wrote: »
    That's the $64,000 question! ME reckon there probably will be periods of sleet or snow between 9pm and 3am, and give a small chance that some of it will be "moderate". They haven't given this warning for Dublin airport, which is only a few miles away, probably because Casement is a little further inland, 150ft higher up, and more influenced by the Dublin mountains, which could cause turbulent downdrafts to slam snowy precipitation down from higher levels. Usually the forecasts for the two are almost identical.

So to answer your question - there will probably be a bit of snow in west Dublin tonight, but nothing that's going to cause any disruption! ;)

do you think it will snow in the southern half of the country? i can't see how given current temps unless they are going to fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Not sure, maybe they think he's too old for the camera now.

Too much winking cost him his gig, he was creeping people out!

Guuuuuuuuuuuuudddddd Nightayaaaaaa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yep, that was his sig alright. The wink always gave you the impression that he was telling you more than he was saying.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuudddddd Nightayaaaaaa.

its alot better than all the swallowing Jean Byrne does in her slot:eek:

Wow, I'm not even going to go there.... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just looked outside there, still stormy, the sky is all cloudy and is a very bright white , was like that last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

oooh, errr.... missus :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The wind is really picking up here again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

do you think it will snow in the southern half of the country? i can't see how given current temps unless they are going to fall?

It's looking like you may get some snow at low levels in the south early tomorrow morning as the cold front crosses the south coast. It may be very short lived though as it picks up speed southwards. in any case I don't think there'll be enough to stick at low levels.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    oooh, errr.... missus :o

sorry boss, but she does actually have some serious saliva issues when she delivers he forecast :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement