Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

100298.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If this heavy snow or rain on the South West Coast moves further North we will be snowed in

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Met Eireanns forecast for tonight:

Further spells of rain, sleet or snow early tonight, with heavy rainfall in the south perhaps leading to localised flooding. However, drier conditions soon developing in the north will extend to all areas by morning. East to northeast winds will remain strong and gusty for much of the night, especially in the south. Lowest temperatures -1 to +2 degrees Celsius, with some frost and ice possible in sheltered parts of the north later.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

here above castleisland co kerry we got snow for christmas lots of snow yesterday and last night rained all day today but snow still on ground and snowing again now about 500 to 600 feet above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Here outside(2 km to the east) Kill Village in North Kildare the weather gods have thrown the kitchen sink at us today. Heavy rains and now Heavy wet snow for the last 4 hours with ferocious gale gusts. Flooding and fallen trees everywhere and now pretty much a white out!! - Current temp 1.5C having dropped from 3C @ 1pm:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

0.6°C DP 0.0°C Snow accumulating.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Supercell wrote: »
    Look at the UK Met radar, the Irish one seems to be blue with random yellows for intensity?

It is heading south now slowly, is starting to accumulate here, hope you stocked up ;)

Supercell - Whats the yellow on the radar mean, it doesn't explain on the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just went outside for a look, and its very squally out there. Very windy with strong gusts, at the moment it is raining as well, but not as heavy as i thought it would be. Higher ground must be crazy atm with blizzard conditions, i'd say it'd be a bit interesting to be at the top of Mt.Brandon ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

just poxy poxy rain here. DP steady all day @ 2.4...... no snow for us me thinks..

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Here outside(2 km to the east) Kill Village in North Kildare the weather gods have thrown the kitchen sink at us today. Heavy rains and now Heavy wet snow for the last 4 hours with ferocious gale gusts. Flooding and fallen trees everywhere and now pretty much a white out!! - Current temp 1.5C having dropped from 3C @ 1pm:D

hey birdnuts i'm about 5 miles from clane, not white here heavy sleet though..the snow has bypassed me -typical - there is very strong gusts alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Hmm more like sleet now, intensity not so good, snow melting on the ground now. Hope the intensity goes back up again.
    What's up in Tuam now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

wonders if the cold air is stalled? any idea where it is at the moment anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I see its 9c on Sherkin Island. Amazingly mild.

Its been raining very heavily in Cork city for the past few hours. Temp 6c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its running from the england/scotland border and going around just north of the northern Ireland coastline. It hasnt really moved in 2 days. It gets down to Dublin/Galway around 5/6am

right guys... in north kildare and the snow is about to start in the next ten mins.. i can feel it.... i'm gone freezing like shivering and i always get like that before it starts (and the heating is on lol ):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Sandyford - i am driven demented here. We had 2.1C with consistent sleet and now back to 2.9C sleety rain. is there ANY HOPE out there. I have never been so frustrated folks. Howling easterly, this could have been so good:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Just drove from Dundalk to Limerick and came across wind, rain, sleet and snow. On the couch nice and cozy now. Hope it doesn't freeze overnight though cos I have to work tomorrow :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Manky gusty night here in West Limerick.

Already I've had to realign the satellite dish, in 3 years it hasn't moved and then tonight :eek: (Probably has been getting loose from recent winds anyways, we are pretty exposed even at this low elevation).

Misty, rainy and definately warmer than this afternoon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

cocoemma wrote: »
    right guys... in north kildare and the snow is about to start in the next ten mins.. i can feel it.... i'm gone freezing like shivering and i always get like that before it starts (and the heating is on lol ):pac:

Hope you're right. In Maynooth, the temperature has popped back up to 2.8C.

Of course, if you ARE right, you can expect to be plagued with questions every time it looks like snow from now until March.

Are you shivering yet? Are you shivering yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Snowflakes as big as houses here in D. 16 @ 2500m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

2500m? Highest point in Ireland is 1041 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

With the rain that is falling in cork at the moment, if it freezing over in the short term the city will effectively shut down due to ice.

Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NaDamantaSam

Sleet easing up now, but the wind is really strong, now close to 40km/h.

sdonn wrote: »
    2500m? Highest point in Ireland is 1041 :P

Yes, got carried away there - hallucinations.

Temps started to turn upwards here an hour ago, now 2.0C, was 1.0C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I thought when the rain went up the country it was to come back colder as snow.. Yep? what went rong or am I being premature?? Anyone wanna take a technical stab at it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Let it snow let it snow let it snow..la la la

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Mostly still snow here, intensity weak medium. The temp must still be well positive as now it's melting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Knock Airport the place to be for the snow. Just looking at 9 news on RTE. Any flights available from Cork to Knock?::)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

jenzz wrote: »
    I thought when the rain went up the country it was to come back colder as snow.. Yep? what went rong or am I being premature?? Anyone wanna take a technical stab at it ?

well fro, what i can see it really hasnt moved back south yet.its just sitting around and moving from side to side and a bit up and down!:D

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »

Those capable of taking a technical stab at it are running for cover - they all face perm bans now for getting this so wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement