Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Hi all,
    First post after lots of listening & looking.

Just down the road from Inabina, in Stillorgan - outside temp 2.5 degrees rain stopped now.

Great forum this - beats watching tv anytime. (Apart from the forecast, of course :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

eskimocat wrote: »
    Just to stick my tuppance ha'penny in, this site has improved my speed reading something seriously! i had to leave the computer for a few hours today (life calling) and when i came back i had nearly 30 odd pages to catch up on!! lol

and now i hear we are having a baby!!! this forum just keeps getting better... and charts to forecast boy or girl???:D

Yeah WOLFE my money is on a boy called Jackfrost & a girl called Snowdrop..... Im putting my cred for predictions on the line for this one - Im 99.5% sure its a boy or a girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

valid from 30.12.2009 19:55 CET Until 31.12.2009 06:00 CET

Wind Awareness Level: Yellow

maximum-wind-speed 70-80 km/h

valid from 30.12.2009 10:27 CET Until 31.12.2009 08:59 CET

Rain Awareness Level: Yellow

"Rainfall amounts of 25-35mm are likely to accumulate today and tonight in the south of the province."

^ From Meteoalarm. Rain eh :p it did say 'accumilations' of rain though.....thats sort of similar to snow? :p

Eh 55.1 mm rain today so far and counting...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have watched this thread all day and smiled that others are getting what we had up here last week. My road finally 50% defrosted today on day 11 of our big freeze. Wonder how many days before I get stuck in here again:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

jenzz wrote: »
    & are we really getting snow ??

An area from Kerry to East Waterford will see off this miserable (miserable for most) system around midday tomorrow. Higher ground will see it off after seeing some snow but this is unlikely to settle as someone pointed out. Snow will probably fall in Cork City and Waterford as well due to the colder airmass kicking its arse out of the country. Indications are that the precipitation could be reasonably heavy in the retreat southwards overnight so I would not rule out fresh snowfall for areas that have yet to see snow (particularly) south kerry and south of Mallow.

SHOWER ACTIVITY SPREADING FROM IRISH SEA

First and foremost, not everywhere is going to see snow lying by New Years Day. These showers could spring up almost anywhere. Arklow may see heavy snow at one point while it might be sunny or partly cloudy in Bray or vice versa.

Anywhere from Donegal to Antrim down the East coast to East Waterford is line for heavy and prolonged snow showers. These showers are likely to be a hit and miss affair as has been pointed out here before. They will fall as snow on most occasions and as sleet at the very worst. This will last from later tomorrow morning through to Saturday morning. The main precipitation will occur between later tomorrow afternoon and late Friday.

SHOWERS FROM NORTH
    The shift in the wind direction from a ENE to a NE flow will change the shower activity to the likes of Down, Armagh, Antrim, Derry, Donegal, Sligo, Mayo and perhaps North Galway from Saturday morning through to Sunday night. These showers may be somewhat more prolonged and widespread than those the activity we will see on the east coast over the next 48hrs. Some of these showers will make their way down the east coast and some will be heavy.

After this it is uncertain. However, the indications are that showery activity will be seen along the E, SE, N, NW and the west coast from Monday onwards.

Any heavy showers over the next three days could make their way as far as Waterford City, Portlaoise, Mullingar, Cavan and towards the weekend, almost anywhere in Ulster and the NW, including Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Galway and perhaps coastal areas of Clare and Kerry (particularly early next week)

LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM FROM SOUTH INTO LATE WEEKEND
    The indications, at present, are that a southern low pressure system will attempt to encroach Kerry and Cork late on Sunday but may not make much inroads inland. My guess is that it may linger for much of Monday but will retreat south again.

Look at the latest 18oz charts there is every chance that the arctic influence could spring a surprise early next week in the form of a more organised front moving south or most likely southwestwards. The charts indicate a lot of precipitation to the North of us and it could organise itself to progress SWS across the country. I won;t mention the words 'Polar Low'. Ooooooops:rolleyes:
    10010600_3018.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Sandyford....Wind died down ( i miss the howling) sleet has stopped. The wind dying down should mean that it is begining to veer NE and bring us colder air. but the temp has gone up to 3.3C:confused:

somebody tell us what is going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Booms wrote: »
    Hi all,
    First post after lots of listening & looking.

Just down the road from Inabina, in Stillorgan - outside temp 2.5 degrees rain stopped now.

Great forum this - beats watching tv anytime. (Apart from the forecast, of course :D)

Welcome fellow lurker...there are many scientific minds at work here (you + I excluded of course!!) :D

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    An area from Kerry to East Waterford will see off this miserable (miserable for most) system around midday tomorrow. Higher ground will see it off after seeing some snow but this is unlikely to settle as someone pointed out. Snow will probably fall in Cork City and Waterford as well due to the colder airmass kicking its arse out of the country. Indications are that the precipitation could be reasonably heavy in the retreat southwards overnight so I would not rule out fresh snowfall for areas that have yet to see snow (particularly) south kerry and south of Mallow.

SHOWER ACTIVITY SPREADING FROM IRISH SEA

First and foremost, not everywhere is going to see snow lying by New Years Day. These showers could spring up almost anywhere. Arklow may see heavy snow at one point while it might be sunny or partly cloudy in Bray or vice versa.

Anywhere from Donegal to Antrim down the East coast to East Waterford is line for heavy and prolonged snow showers. These showers are likely to be a hit and miss affair as has been pointed out here before. They will fall as snow on most occasions and as sleet at the very worst. This will last from later tomorrow morning through to Saturday morning. The main precipitation will occur between later tomorrow afternoon and late Friday.

SHOWERS FROM NORTH
    The shift in the wind direction from a ENE to a NE flow will change the shower activity to the likes of Down, Armagh, Antrim, Derry, Donegal, Sligo, Mayo and perhaps North Galway from Saturday morning through to Sunday night. These showers may be somewhat more prolonged and widespread than those the activity we will see on the east coast over the next 48hrs. Some of these showers will make their way down the east coast and some will be heavy.

After this it is uncertain. However, the indications are that showery activity will be seen along the E, SE, N, NW and the west coast from Monday onwards.

Any heavy showers over the next three days could make their way as far as Waterford City, Portlaoise, Mullingar, Cavan and towards the weekend, almost anywhere in Ulster and the NW, including Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Galway and perhaps coastal areas of Clare and Kerry (particularly early next week)

LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM FROM SOUTH INTO LATE WEEKEND
    The indications, at present, are that a southern low pressure system will attempt to encroach Kerry and Cork late on Sunday but may not make much inroads inland. My guess is that it may linger for much of Monday but will retreat south again.

Look at the latest 18oz charts there is every chance that the arctic influence could spring a surprise early next week in the form of a more organised front moving south or most likely southwestwards. The charts indicate a lot of precipitation to the North of us and it could organise itself to progress SWS across the country. I won;t mention the words 'Polar Low'. Ooooooops:rolleyes:
    10010600_3018.gif
    You're a brave man mentioning Waterford...there's a few of us Blaa's hangin on here for hope !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

When comin back from my brothers tonight on the east coast of Norn Ireland the temp was 5c so cold air really not diggin in yet this far north.

That is right on the coast tho I am sure further inland it is much colder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp now at 1.7c. Still a good deal of snow with the rain however with mean wind speed back up to 18mph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NaDamantaSam

Dry here for the moment, but still very windy and still 2.4C! Temp has been between 0.5-3.5C the last 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I'm just a few miles north of Cork city 60m above sea level, teperature is about 5*C, lashing rain and high winds, hard to believe we will get any snow.

Cian92 wrote: »
    I'm just a few miles north of Cork city 60m above sea level, teperature is about 5*C, lashing rain and high winds, hard to believe we will get any snow.

Have faith brother.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Forgot to add that the roads are flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Snow will probably fall in Cork City and Waterford as well due to the colder airmass kicking its arse out of the country. Indications are that the precipitation could be reasonably heavy in the retreat southwards overnight so I would not rule out fresh snowfall for areas that have yet to see snow (particularly) south kerry and south of Mallow.

Thanks, Wolfe. Its still teeming down with rain here.Temp at Cork Airport - about 3 miles away- has fallen from 7 to 5 degrees in the past hour. You have given me some hope that after 3 weeks of waiting, I might see some snow after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the rain and snow mix has stopped. perhaps the battle is at last finally over. i wonder was the mild air watching tapes of rocky before it came to ireland because it seems to have put up a hell of a fight over the last 24 hours in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Arctictree, whats it like over there with you?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cian92 wrote: »

temps and dew points will fall steadily after midnight - just hope there is some precipitation about and it doesn't break up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

For those of you worried about current mildness and snow prospects for tonight, cast your mind back to December 24th 2004.

It was near 14c at Cork Airport at mid-afternoon, later that night it was snowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Asmuch as I would like to see it snow in Waterford City or Cork City it is not going to happen as it never does. When was the last heavy snowfall in either of these two cities?? There was heavy snow in Dublin, Belfast and other Northern areas and towns last Februaury and also some light snow in Dublin a few days ago (heavier in Belfast) but none in Waterford or Cork City. Maybe there will be a little over the hills there but I would not hold me breath. Heavy snow in Blessington beside Dublin suburbs.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Gonna turn in for the night, fingers and toes crossed that those that want it will awake to the fluffy whiteness that we seem to be addicted to.. lol snow!!!

Btw I will be setting up a support group for those who fail to see the whiteness in the new year :D... some suggested topics for discussion include:

1. handling rage and jealously of fellow boardies who got the sacred whiteness
    2. what to do when there is no snow (ie read boards and learn about snow)
    3. how to move to the Wicklow mountains ;)

Other suggestions gratefully accepted :pac:

Nite

Leeside wrote: »
    Thanks, Wolfe. Its still teeming down with rain here.Temp at Cork Airport - about 3 miles away- has fallen from 7 to 5 degrees in the past hour. You have given me some hope that after 3 weeks of waiting, I might see some snow after all.
    i am sure you will see it but you may have to wait up for it. The saturated ground down there will not help your cause if you are hoping for a lot of lying snow. Fingers crossed that the intensity of the precip will give you some lying snow. By the way, please tell that front as it is leaving that it is welcome back to west clare anytime. I will have the kettle on!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

jenzz wrote: »
    Yeah WOLFE my money is on a boy called Jackfrost & a girl called Snowdrop..... Im putting my cred for predictions on the line for this one - Im 99.5% sure its a boy or a girl :D

If it's a girl & she's born tomorrow call her Eve.. :o so cute

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    I have watched this thread all day and smiled that others are getting what we had up here last week. My road finally 50% defrosted today on day 11 of our big freeze. Wonder how many days before I get stuck in here again:o

Same here, big thaw here after 11 days. By the looks of it, not for long.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

cocoemma wrote: »
    If it's a girl & she's born tomorrow call her Eve.. :o so cute
    I became an Uncle last week for first time. Her name is Eve :)

Daily rainfall/snowfall total standing at 18.3mm. Will try to make it 20mm before midnight.

Awwww

So you got a weeks practice in first???

THATS CHEATING ....

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Danno wrote: »
    For those of you worried about current mildness and snow prospects for tonight, cast your mind back to December 24th 2004.

It was near 14c at Cork Airport at mid-afternoon, later that night it was snowing.

Yes, I remember the snow that fell around mid day on Christmas day 2004.It came as a total surprise. I drove to the airport and built a snowman with the kids. Memorable!

Daily rainfall/snowfall total standing at 18.3mm. Will try to make it 20mm before midnight.

Mines - 35.1mm of pure poxy rain .:(

• Advertisement

Congrats. I am to become one to soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement