Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What I don't understand is the following:

On the sat image you see this area north of Ireland where warm and cold air collide (red circle). There are clouds, there must be moisture, there's lots of movement, you'd expect all (snowy) hell breaking loose
    100299.JPG

Yet look at the same area on the radar and it's dead as a dodo ...nothing happening at all. Even the showers moving in from the NE die a mysterious death in the no-snow-bermuda-triangle
    100300.JPG

can somebody pleez explain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Supercell wrote: »
    Let it snow let it snow let it snow..la la la

Can someone ban him......please??! :p

Temp here 3.3c DP 1.4c..........woop dee f%^kin' doo! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

inabina wrote: »
    well fro, what i can see it really hasnt moved back south yet.its just sitting around and moving from side to side and a bit up and down!:D

Yeah a bit like me up & down to look out the bloody window !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Supercell wrote: »
    Let it snow let it snow let it snow..la la la

You love rubbing it in our faces don't you! But you do provide us with great pics, so I suppose you have the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

agree. ban anyone getting snow

• Advertisement

Those capable of taking a technical stab at it are running for cover - they all face perm bans now for getting this so wrong.

Ah no ! They're good lads really:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Snow warning issued for Casement Aerodrome (Baldonnel, west Dublin)

(CASEMENT (BALDONNEL) (MIL))EIME 302000/310300 SNOW WARNING ISSUED AT 301615 SLIGHT OCNL MODERATE SNOW =

TAF gives sleet or snow from between 21Z - 03Z, with a small chance of moderate snow within that period.

CASEMENT (BALDONNEL) (MIL))TAF EIME 301922Z 3021/3106 08028G40KT 8000 -RASN SCT007 BKN010 TEMPO 3021/3101 08033G48KT TEMPO 3021/3103 3000 -RASN -SN SCT005 BKN008 PROB30 TEMPO 3022/3103 1500 SN BKN004 =

jenzz wrote: »
    Ah no ! They're good lads really:D

Anyone up for forming a lynch mob?? :D I'll supply the pikes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

THEORY - is Sellafield keeping the Irish sea artifically warm thereby preventing snow on east coast? Are the brits to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Actually if you check the T&C's of the forecast for 1ft of snow in low lying Dublin you will see the punishment for getting it wrong was a voluntary permanent ban from this site for WC, SC and all the other experts. No doubt they will do the honourable thing here. I mean we could have had the National Guard flown in based on their forecast so I think its fall on the sword time here folks. Sad, but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pics tomorrow morning , if you think i'm going out into that blizzard and taking pics you is crazy!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Anyone up for forming a lynch mob?? :D I'll supply the pikes! :pac:

We won't be able to get to them, we'd be snowed out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

jenzz wrote: »
    I thought when the rain went up the country it was to come back colder as snow.. Yep? what went rong or am I being premature?? Anyone wanna take a technical stab at it ?

if only forecasting cold weather was that simple;)
    not a techincal stab, but from my experience of following weather and hoping for snow, on an island, surrounded by warm seas, from now on bear in mind that 9 times out of 10 widespread snowfall will not occur with a front coming up from the south west.
    we always hope that just once it will come off but of course it rarely does because to use a famous phrase: what can go wrong will go wrong- be it dewpoints too high, dam thickness too high, 850 mb temps not cold enough. blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

gothwalk wrote: »
    Hope you're right. In Maynooth, the temperature has popped back up to 2.8C.

Of course, if you ARE right, you can expect to be plagued with questions every time it looks like snow from now until March.

Are you shivering yet? Are you shivering yet?

hummm interesting gothwalk.....I bloody hope i'm right.. it's heavy sleet now.... come on the snow...

Rougies wrote: »
    We won't be able to get to them, we'd be snowed out! :D

They have to come down sooner or later from there snow heavens........they cant survive up there forever!!

We'll be waiting.......patiently...........mwaahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Update: Pictures taken 20.50 - 30/12/2009 Galway City !

dscf1734o.jpg
    -
    dscf1732.jpg
    -
    dscf1724e.jpg
    -
    dscf1722xf.jpg
    -
    dscf1712b.jpg
    -
    dscf1711m.jpg
    -
    dscf1717.jpg

Really Heavy Snowfall cant see it lifting over night or tomorrow as temp are'nt rising above "0"Degrees. Serious size snow flakes + No let down in snow as like hour ago still going strong!!:D

Forcast For Galway City :
    Where will the snow get time to melt can't see it here ? Looks like it could be a trouble-some few days:D.
    snowfor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

peasant wrote: »

On the sat image you see this area north of Ireland where warm and cold air collide (red circle). There are clouds, there must be moisture, there's lots of movement, you'd expect all (snowy) hell breaking loose
    100299.JPG

Yet look at the same area on the radar and it's dead as a dodo ...nothing happening at all. Even the showers moving in from the NE die a mysterious death in the no-snow-bermuda-triangle
    100300.JPG

The vast swathe of cloud you highlighted is actually jet fibre, ie. high cirrus formed by the jet stream in the upper troposphere. It is not linked to the precipitation further south.

Here's today's 15Z SATREP

LOC_20091230_1500.png

That can be the problem with IR Sat imagery - high cloud can block our view of what's underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Since WeatherCheck has presumably taken a voluntary permanent ban from the site due to no snow in Dublin, we need a new mod. I nominate myself. Anyone else?

PS. WC, we will miss you man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

I would really love to see Connemara tomorrow morning.
    Of course, that's if I had a 4x4 with snow chains :D

just rain there right now with bits of sleet. ( oh and the power was out)

Since WeatherCheck has presumably taken a voluntary permanent ban from the site due to no snow in Dublin, we need a new mod. I nominate myself. Anyone else?

PS. WC, we will miss you man.

What are your ramping skills like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭10-10-20

peasant wrote: »

100299.JPG

100300.JPG

I suspect that the two air flows aren't colliding at that point.
    Looking at SAT24, it seems that those two flows are at different levels and the snow is landing some 200 miles out to sea past Galway.

But I'm non-weather-technical...

Su Campu wrote: »
    Snow warning issued for Casement Aerodrome (Baldonnel, west Dublin)

(CASEMENT (BALDONNEL) (MIL))EIME 302000/310300 SNOW WARNING ISSUED AT 301615 SLIGHT OCNL MODERATE SNOW =

TAF gives sleet or snow from between 21Z - 03Z, with a small chance of moderate snow within that period.

CASEMENT (BALDONNEL) (MIL))TAF EIME 301922Z 3021/3106 08028G40KT 8000 -RASN SCT007 BKN010 TEMPO 3021/3101 08033G48KT TEMPO 3021/3103 3000 -RASN -SN SCT005 BKN008 PROB30 TEMPO 3022/3103 1500 SN BKN004 =

Hi Su. Im up the road in Lucan. I was wondering if you could tell me two things, one, do you think I might get snow here? also, if so, do you have any idea of the time? is it between now and 3.00? Im not familiar with charts so not sure if thats the time Im reading. Thanks :)

Can you get banned for just being an annoying, argumentative Pratt ??

Hey Gracey

you ok up there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I thought we were finished with the snow here in Kilkenny but not so according to Gerry Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

RTE say definite snow :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temps on the rise here once again. Up to 1.4c with mostly rain with any slush melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Gerry's just said the word 'wintery' more times in the last three minutes than he's done in the last three years. He looked gutted about the whole thing...

My DP on the rise again! Whats with the temps going up and down like a yoyo today? I thought now that its night the temps would be plunging?

ragg wrote: »
    RTE say definite snow :eek:

Ooops, missed the forecast, what did he say this time??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Snow in dublin Tonight, NYE and New years day I think - I only seen the end of it though :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement