Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow lashing down here, pics tomorrow, too bad now to go outside.
    Its crazy outside here:D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

angie101 wrote: »
    Aww. I wish i was in my own house in Loughrea looking at the lovely snow,instead of being in Dublin in my mother's house looking at the horrible lashing rain. Of course,if i was in Loughrea it wouldn't be snowing cos im always in the wrong place when it snows:(

Don't ya dare move now! :D
    If this continues, Loughrea won't be possible to approach anyway by tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

0.6c here. Heavy snow. Still not sticking though but trying very hard!

Can anyone make sense of the radar - where is the precip heading?!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

windy and pouring rain here in West Cork at the moment.. im presuming we wont get snow as usual :(

Big snowflakes usually are a sign that rain is very near. Sorry to ruin your buzz but I need to drag as many down with me to my rain hut. :D

Only messin' Nice pics. :)

Yeah but it started with big ones anyway :D
    Nope, cold air and warm moist is still battling. The LP is not giving up easily. Which is good for us, as more precip is expected till the morning. And it *will* come down as snow, mostly!
    Can't wait to wake up to see a full-out white Galway tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yeah but it started with big ones anyway :D
    Nope, cold air and warm moist is still battling. The LP is not giving up easily. Which is good for us, as more precip is expected till the morning. And it *will* come down as snow, mostly!
    Can't wait to wake up to see a full-out white Galway tomorrow :)

It is about 50/50 rain/snow % here now. Despite this, I can see the snow part falling all over town via street lights and still looks impressive blowing in the wind. :)

arctictree wrote: »

Basically in a ESE/WNW direction, but will probably become more E to W later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

arctictree wrote: »

Look at the UK Met radar, the Irish one seems to be blue with random yellows for intensity?

It is heading south now slowly, is starting to accumulate here, hope you stocked up ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Front has cleared north east scotland very quicklyin the last hour INS very weird fashion though. Should get here by ten or eleven hopefully!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Sherkin Island and Roches Point both with dewpoints of 8°C at 8pm! :rolleyes: I think it's safe to say no snow for the south coast in the immediate future!

(Sherkin Island)PsMETAR SHER 302000Z AUTO 07018KT 7000NDV -SHRA FEW008/// BKN026/// 09/08 0983 MSL=
    (Roches Point)PsMETAR ROCH 302000Z AUTO 08025KT 3100NDV RA BKN005/// 08/08 0986 MSL=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This east wind is something else, never heard such a strong bellowing east wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Don't ya dare move now! :D
    If this continues, Loughrea won't be possible to approach anyway by tomorrow :)

Are you trying to make me cry :)
    Im gonna sit it out in Dublin so and wait for it to move this way. *crosses fingers and toes and everything else i can in hope*

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Nothing but stinking cold rain here ! Saw a bit of snow up on the highest peaks of the mournes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Few more from Galway just taken

P1010678.jpg

P1010679.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010681.jpg

snaps wrote: »
    This east wind is something else, never heard such a strong bellowing east wind!

Easing up just a little here to your east. Down to 16mph 10 min mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just back from a suicide drive up the Dublin mountains (I know, I know, but I know when to turn back). Snow line starts at the Hell Fire Club carpark which is 280m asl and currently 1.5 degrees lower than at my location in Dublin 16 (1.0c vs 2.5c on car's thermometer).
    After that the roads quickly became dangerous as it's a fairly steep incline just after the carpark so I turned around about 100m further up the road. It's feckin wild up there! Big branches all over the roads and heavy snow swirling and gusting in the wind. If you're thinking of heading up the mountains (or even the hills), don't!!! I can only imagine what it's like any higher up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thanks storm10. They all look pretty similar though?

Yea check back I deleted and added correct ones

Will you delete your post

angie101 wrote: »
    Are you trying to make me cry :)
    Im gonna sit it out in Dublin so and wait for it to move this way. *crosses fingers and toes and everything else i can in hope*

No, no I was kidding... pls forgive me. I really wish a lot of snow for you too :);)

Still snowing in Galway city, not as heavy as 30m ago, but I don't see much rain it, which is good. According to the UK metoffice radar, intensity is insane in many parts of Ireland. I'm dying to see some mountains tomorrow! Anyone have any winter tyres? 195/65 R15, thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Rougies wrote: »
    Just back from a suicide drive up the Dublin mountains (I know, I know, but I know when to turn back). Snow line starts at the Hell Fire Club carpark which is 280m asl and currently 1.5 degrees lower than at my location in Dublin 16 (1.0c vs 2.5c on car's thermometer).
    After that the roads quickly became dangerous as it's a fairly steep incline just after the carpark so I turned around about 100m further up the road. It's feckin wild up there! Big branches all over the roads and heavy snow swirling and gusting in the wind. If you're thinking of heading up the mountains (or even the hills), don't!!! I can only imagine what it's like any higher up :eek:

What kind of vehicle did you make the trip in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Look at the UK Met radar, the Irish one seems to be blue with random yellows for intensity?

It is heading south now slowly, is starting to accumulate here, hope you stocked up ;)

Yep, just went out into the garden and I can see that its starting to stick. That would put the snow line at 250M here. Hopefully we will get a good snowfall tonight to cover the roads. Otherwise we will have an icy mess in the morning.

• Advertisement

What kind of vehicle did you make the trip in?

A front wheel drive car. :D I just wanted to see some snow falling as I've forgotten what it looks like since last Feb. I had no intentions of driving on snow covered roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

According to met eireann latest reports, temp at Dublin aiport still holding steady at 3C for the fourth consecutive report. Maybe the thermometer is stuck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You will soon reach today's 1000 posts

Happy snow vigilling...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Rougies wrote: »
    A front wheel drive car. :D I just wanted to see some snow falling as I've forgotten what it looks like since last Feb. I had no intentions of driving on snow covered roads!

:DNice one...so jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Good, I am going to Laragh for New Year's eve so I hope it is snowing a lot there also. I have a 4x4. Keep snowing!!!!!!!:D

:DNice one...so jealous!

There was no way I was letting this event pass without seeing some snow falling ;)

I'm quite jealous of the Wicklow mountain folk here, especially Supercell, he gets all the action :)

About 9 tenths snow again. Current snow rate 3.3mm/ph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

North Clare: we seem to be getting intense bursts of wind here accompanied by heavy precip. No snow, just sleet. Should be an interesting night.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Just checking in From Kilkenny City, Blowing a gale and kinda sleteing from the noise its making on my roof window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I see that the snow shield does not keep out rain or wind ;)!! fierce stormy here, trees down on some of the local roads :eek:

Really good stormy night here. (safe to say with all provisions in, water stored and candles at the ready incase the lecky goes. Don't have to go anywhere, etc... no so easy for some i know)

So is there any chance of that snow shield, if thats whats stopping snow coming to Dromahair in North Leitrim, moving or collapsing and allowing some of the grade A fluffy stuff to arrive here!! done with frost... no frost please:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement